Painters notes?

Moezilla

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

This is an impossible question to answer if you don't tell us where you saw this. :;): Which company is offering it? Perhaps someone here has tried that product. Or are you dealing with a freelancer offering one-off models for sale? In which case, I would actually contact the company/person in question.

--Anne ::):

• Reaper User

We don't have rules about that stuff on this forum, actually. I mean, you can't sit and advertise for them, but we discuss stuff like competitor's paint lines all the time--why stop there? :lol: In addition, if it is Miniature Giant, they were actually representing our product at Origins, so they're not strictly a competitor. :;):

Whatever, if you have direct experience with the product, Dougrob, feel free to share if you would like; it is painting-related, and would be good to know if it's helpful. ::):

--Anne

Well, I was just being respectful to the Reaper folks =)

Painter's Logs are heavy duty two-sided log-sheets, showing extremely high-resolution images of the front and back of each model in a miniature pack. You customize the log with your own notes, color schemes, mixing ratios, advice -- whatever suits your needs.

http://www.miniature-giant.com/myImages/Pa...gSampleFull.jpg

http://www.miniature-giant.com/myImages/Pa...SampleHiRes.jpg

• Reaper User

Okies, that's a little bit too close to an advertisement...but at least now we know what they are. :lol: Next time I would probably just say "sheets of heavy duty paper with high-quality shots of the miniature and space for painters to track their color mixes and notes while painting" which is certainly cool!

--Anne ::):

Edit: Thanks for the edit, that minimalizes the spam nicely! ::D:

That is pretty cool. You could make your own for Reaper figs by copying the image from the catalog and printing it on card stock. Leave some space for notes or write on the back and you're golden.

Since the catalog images are assembled and primed, if you wanted you could use PhotoShop to "color" the image and have an example on paper of what you want the model to look like when you are done.

That is cool, but also a bit limited in space. I keep a 3"x5" spiral notebook on my bench. I then track every color I mix for everything in it. It is great if you need to remix, or someday want to use the same color again on a different mini.

TS

That is cool, but also a bit limited in space. I keep a 3"x5" spiral notebook on my bench. I then track every color I mix for everything in it. It is great if you need to remix, or someday want to use the same color again on a different mini.

TS

That's one of those things I keep meaning to do... note the mixes, etc., that I use on pieces. I have to admit I'm AWEFUL about it. I have made notes on large index cards lately. Lots of space but they will still fit in a tool box.

I have a small notebook that I use to keep track of the base colors of my armies, so years from now, when I get back to painting my dwarves, I know which colors to start with.

Mixing colors? Bah! Why do I have 200 bottles of paint if I have to mix colors?

I use a notebook as well with a page for each mini or groups of minis. I have notes on what colors I've on what part of the mini. For example, something like:

Cloak:

• Highlight: Ashen Blue; Snow Shadow
  • Base: Templar Blue
  • Shadow: Breonne Blue

I also note when and what I painted (because I'm curious as to how long things take me) and anything that might have worked really well or really poorly. My notebook has been very helpful for going back and making sure that faction minis have the right "theme" colors or otherwise reminding myself of color schemes that I want to reproduce.

I've been using a Junior Sized Circa Notebook from Levenger. But, I may switch to a Moleskine Large Scketch Book because the pages are purportedly thick enough to be painted upon (so I could do a color swatch or even a quickie (poor) sketch).

Ron

I do the same thing I have a Spiral notebook as well as a 3 ring binder were I keep all my notes on from paint ratios, terrain and converison instructions as well as part lists for said conversions and terrain and other useful info I may find online or in various forums I belong too

I'll admit to only taking notes when I've got to stop for the day, I'll streak my blotter/place mat with a little bit of everything on my palette and then write how I mixed everything if I'm going to work on the mini again the next day. If I'm done-done with a color, it doesn't get splotched. On the not-so-rare occasions that I know I'm not touching the mini the next day, no notes.. I'll eyeball it. One of my many faults ::P:

I use white card stock for blotters of late, used to be just copy paper 'til I blotted an ink wash and stained my desk with cute, little, curly squiggles in a lovely shade of green. <_<

I'm keeping my latest blotter notes tho... I like the colors ::):