Blue Orchid Assassin

Lord Wehrmacht

Heya folks!

Its been awhile since Ive posted a competed work, in my head at least. I'm fairly proud of this one as I tried alot of new things on it and I didn't screw it up completely. That being said I need yall to deconstruct it if you have suggestions. Thats how I am gonna get better, and there are no painters that I can tell within a million miles of my home. Yall are all I got. Thank you all who offered suggestions on the WIP post on this mini I really appreciate it.

Without further ado, my first attempt at NMM. Really... :bday:

post-3868-1185335323_thumb.jpg

I'm also working on the picture taking process itself. Does this look good to you and does the distance from camera to mini look more appropriate. (I think my last few have been so close you can see the hairs in their nose). :rock:

Thank yall again for all you do!

LW

• Like 1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are at the top of the class for painting eyes with so much character within a narrow slit of cloth.

Texture and shading on cloak is great. Breastplate is great. Utility belt stuff is great, esp the nmm on the shuriken.

The shading gradient on the sides and bottom of his exposed leg could be darker to match the dramatic lighting on the rest of the figure because it looks like that leg has its own light source--like an ad focusing on fashionable assassin tabi.

The tabi are done well, but their color looks the same as the blades, which hampers the nmm effect. Maybe the white glare lines on the blades could be made shorter, to seem more like a glint, esp if a dark shadow were right next to it for max contrast. The righthand blade might only get a glint near the hilt as the rest of the cutting edge is pointing backward.

P.S. Pic quality is fine to me.

Long time since I posted anything too.... :)

Great work, the only feedback I have besides "WOW" is that the cloak leaves alot of area right around the leg and arm, that in my opinion should be a darker tone (or two) to show the shadows cast by the flickering fabric. Outside of that, outstanding. Wish I could paint eyes like this one!

Ah, the blue orchid part is the name of the mini, Blue Orchid Assassin. Course I went and made it red... hopefully that doesn't get me kicked out of the union... :down:

LW

No worries about the union, that's just a front. Now the B.O.A. Guild, on the other hand...well, by the time you finish reading this, it may already be too late. :devil:

Couldn't resist, LW. Great work, here, as others have noted, especially on the eyes. Your first NMM looks great, and I also have to agree (from a theoretical standpoint, since I can't actually execute convincing NMM, yet) with the suggestions about other colors nearby and quick contrasts, remaining mindful of light sources. But those are future goals -- this one looks really good and you should be proud of it.

Dane,

I stole this directly from Flynn on this board on the Painting Recipe thread in Painting Tips and Techniques.

Basecoat with 9066 Blue Liner

Highlight with 9019 Midnight Blue

Highlight with 9020 Twilight Blue

Highlight with 9021 Snow Shadow

Highlight with 9063 Ghost White

Final Highlight 9039 Pure White

Im fairly anal retentive when it comes to organization so what I do is this, as I try different recipes and/or find some of my own I put each on a 3x5 card with a header like NMM, Skintone, etc and I put it in a file. That way I can find stuff as I need it as well as learn more of the process of using NMM while I write them down, which is how I memorize things anyway.

I got this painting bug bad I think, but its fun as hell lol!

LW

Dane,

I stole this directly from Flynn on this board on the Painting Recipe thread in Painting Tips and Techniques.

Basecoat with 9066 Blue Liner

Highlight with 9019 Midnight Blue

Highlight with 9020 Twilight Blue

Highlight with 9021 Snow Shadow

Highlight with 9063 Ghost White

Final Highlight 9039 Pure White

Im fairly anal retentive when it comes to organization so what I do is this, as I try different recipes and/or find some of my own I put each on a 3x5 card with a header like NMM, Skintone, etc and I put it in a file. That way I can find stuff as I need it as well as learn more of the process of using NMM while I write them down, which is how I memorize things anyway.

I got this painting bug bad I think, but its fun as hell lol!

LW

Thanks for sharing! That's wat I thought it looked like. I was trying to mix that one up last night, but don't have the proper blue triad, and the Templar Blues triad does NOT make a suitable substitute!

The silver NMM looks really good. I'm not sure if I could have noticed without really looking. The brown outside of the cloak looks really good to me. Nice highlights and it looks really used. The inside came up too pink though (IMHO). The eyes are really good, but the leg needs a little more definition. I'm sure that is partially the mini though.

Nice job.. very nice