Kneadatite

I purchased some kneadatite from The Foundry.  It was about $9.50  What I recieved in the mail was a strip about 6 inches long and one inch wide.  Is this the normal size for a purchased strip of green stuff?  I mean, I saw this strip and could not believe that it cost so much.  It was about 1/8 inch thick too, almost ribbon like.    I should hope there has to be a cheaper way to get ahold of this stuff....Any suggestions?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reaper carries Blue-Yellow (aka Green) Kneadatite in our online store. 13.99 for 36 inches. We also carry brown stuff, but I can't remember the quantity/price offhand. It's a little pricier, but has more specialized usage, so you wouldn't go through that much all that often.

Good luck!

Reaper Ivy

Well, you could walk into a DIY store, like Home Mart or Home Depot, and ask in the plumbing supplies section. Odds are, you will find the material at a better price. I get mine at Wal Mart, so, it is not really that hard to find.

Well, you could walk into a DIY store, like Home Mart or Home Depot, and ask in the plumbing supplies section. Odds are, you will find the material at a better price. I get mine at Wal Mart, so, it is not really that hard to find.

Kneadatite is *way* better than the stuff at Wal-Mart, In my opinion. Kneadatite is not as sticky and isn't as grainy as the plumbing stuff. But Wal-Mart stuff it is cheaper, and if you're just filling gaps it does just fine and will last ya forever.

-zug

I called up Home Depot once, and when I told them what I was looking for, I had a pause on the phone then I was transferred to the plumbing department.  The guy in the department who was the manager had not a clue what I was talking about, hence, I never found out if they had it or not.

As for looking at Wal-Mart for it, that is something I had never considered.  I did not think they would carry the stuff.  My current BF told me to start calling plumbing supply houses to see if I could find the stuff fairly cheap.

I've been using Milliput from the UK. About the same sort of stuff but I have no idea how it compares overall. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't cheap. Of course I got enough it will be years before I use it all...

I've found Super Sculpty to be useful as well. It only comes in one material and you bake it in the oven to harden it.

I've been using Milliput from the UK. About the same sort of stuff but I have no idea how it compares overall. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't cheap. Of course I got enough it will be years before I use it all...

I've found Super Sculpty to be useful as well. It only comes in one material and you bake it in the oven to harden it.

You can get Milliput online through Micro-Mark.

I wanted to get some because it is a brick of the stuff for about the same as what Reaper sells as a strip.  I was told in another thread though that it does not want to work up as well as kneadatite.

Really!?! ACK I always thought putty was putty  :down:

This is labeled as 'superfine'. Is it really much courser than the green stuff?

Well from what I understand, greenstuff is smooth, not gritty, where Milliput is a bit gritty, though the fine grain is not so bad.  But apprently kneadatite works up better than Milliput.

So no, putty is not putty.  There are differences.  Now if you want to use Milliput for bases and kneadatite for sculpting minis and conversions, I'm sure that would work just fine.

My boyfriend and I are looking at plumbing supply houses around here to see what amounts of kneadatite we can get really cheap.  Besides, getting it locally means I don't have to pay shipping charges.

As for the milliput, the bases seem to be the best place for that, and in making other scenery for dioramas and such.  While you can get decent detail with it, it is best to leave the detail to the kneadatite with conversions on the mini and sculpting parts or a whole mini.

• Reaper User

Another thing to remember is that freshness is an important quality with greenstuff (kneadatite).  The fresher the better, and store it in your freezer if you want it to stay fresher longer.  :)

--Anne

Another thing to remember is that freshness is an important quality with greenstuff (kneadatite).  The fresher the better, and store it in your freezer if you want it to stay fresher longer.  :)

--Anne

Thanks for the tip Anne! :)

Never knew you could store kneadatite in the freezer.

Fresh kneadatite is the way to go.  Its made by PSI, polymeric systems incorporated, and is best-priced in the 36" rolls.  Stays fresher longer in the freezer. Often on older rolls, it is advisable to clip out the very middle of the ribbon, as some hardening may have ocurred.  Last thing you want is to have a bump of half-hardened putty show up on an armor plate or cheek and have to dig it out.

Milliput is a bit grainier, but IIRC, it has an aluminum component, which makes it rock hard, and thus sandable, sawable and scrapable.  I used to use combinations of milliput and green stuff to get hard-edged effects.  Now, I often use the newer brown stuff from PSI mixed with the green for a similar effect. Other epoxy putties can be mixed for various uses.  I pretty much stopped with the milliput because the dust really irritated my hands, a good clue that you should never inhale any epoxy dust!

Some of the quick-setting hardware store putties have a limited use in making armatures and bulking up a big figures, but you must work that 5-minute cure stuff really fast. And, you'll find that the accelerated cure quick-fix epoxy putties have a component that seems to sink right into the skin, so much so that you might taste it in your mouth a few minutes later.  That's #### disturbing, you might want to use gloves to mix that stuff.

I've been finding that I think more in terms of a pallet of different putties for different uses, now, although almost everything can be done with green stuff and wire.

Epoxy putties' cure can be accelerated by warming it, but don't bake it like fimo.  a sunny windowsill, or proximity to a 25-watt lightbulb is enough to set it up a bit quicker.

jason w.

My Webpage