Quality of Pre-painted Legendary Encounters

ZILLA

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed the "Go to the buy-it now site on eBay that sells common DDMs like skeletons for 10 for $3.00, buy 20, pay $3.50 shipping and get 20 for under $10".

Yes, this is entirely possible, and not really difficult. I do it myself all the time. That's why I can't see myself buying things from the LE line like orcs and skeltons (maybe orcs for variety).

There are a lot of people who will not buy from eBay, even using the Buy it Now option.

You missed the "Go to the buy-it now site on eBay that sells common DDMs like skeletons for 10 for $3.00, buy 20, pay $3.50 shipping and get 20 for under $10".

I going to have to call shenanigans on this...

First, you have to find a seller. Auggie is the most well known (and interestingly enough, you use a flat $3.50 for shipping, which is what Auggie charges, while most eBay sellers will increase the shipping charges the more auctions you win*). Currently Auggie doesn't have regular skellies, just 13 Orc Skellies (38¢ each or $4.94 for all of them) and Burning Skeletons ($1.29 each or $9.03 for the remaining 7 you want). That adds up to $17.47 for 20, not "under $10"...

The current batch of LE minis doesn't do much for me, but I'm looking forward to the Kobolds (and Gnolls to a lesser extent). I can even buy them at my FLGS with a 30% (cash) discount (while not every FLGS gives this discount, if price is why you shop I'll bet you can find plenty of online stores that give a similar discount). It's flat out disingenuous to compare reseller prices (in what essentially is a secondary market even if the product is new) with MSRP.

Do the LE minis cost more than DDMs? Yes, when bought through resellers (even without playing games with the numbers). Will they be easier for the majority of people to pick up? Yes, even if they aren't the cheapest, people are willing to pay a premium for lots of reasons (or there would be 0 FLGS left). If price was all that mattered, we wouldn't use minis at all (or just play with Wrackspawns, Abbysal Skulkers, and Medium Astral Constructs).

*it's due to the way that eBay structures their fees, Auggie is an exception to that.

i picked up some of these last night. 2 each of orc archers, warriors, and spearmen, the ogre chieftan, and the minotaur of the maze. my FLGS didn't have any of the orc 3-packs, unfortunately. no skeletons, since my group has a pathological aversion to undead. i also picked up an unhallowed booster pack of D&D minis, for variety and comparison. (displacer beast manhunter!)

they look good, noticably better than the DDMs, and at least as good as some of the minis i've painted myself. (i'm not Monet.) very happy, and looking forward to the LE line expanding.

I just looked at the models at Zombie Planet in Albany. They look good for PPMs, quality being about the same as any others. They are a bit too glossy, but they are cheaper than their metal counterparts and painted enough that it will likely be a nice thing for DMs to throw them on a table. As for stripping and repainting, they are a bit more two-dimensional than the metals and I would say that you should just do metal if you want to paint. If you want to touch them up, that is likely fine as far as the return for time investment.

I'd still like to hear about the lead paint issue(ie. whether there is one) from Reaper.
As many have heard over the last week several hundred thousand toys made in China were painted using a paint that contained lead.

As soon as we heard this news we contacted the factory in China we use to manufacture our Legendary Encounters pre-painted plastic models to make sure Reaper had no such issues to deal with.

They have assured us in writing that the paint they used to paint our Legendary Encounter models is LEAD-FREE and ASTM and CE certified.

I am sorry it took so long to get back to you, but we felt a thorough and complete answer, with no equivocation, was best.

If you have any questions or need additional information please do not hesitate to contact us.

I'd still like to hear about the lead paint issue(ie. whether there is one) from Reaper.
As many have heard over the last week several hundred thousand toys made in China were painted using a paint that contained lead.

As soon as we heard this news we contacted the factory in China we use to manufacture our Legendary Encounters pre-painted plastic models to make sure Reaper had no such issues to deal with.

They have assured us in writing that the paint they used to paint our Legendary Encounter models is LEAD-FREE and ASTM and CE certified.

I am sorry it took so long to get back to you, but we felt a thorough and complete answer, with no equivocation, was best.

If you have any questions or need additional information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks! I appreciate the lack of equivocation, and I picked up a few LE miniatures earlier today -- they look great, and I'm happy to hear that I don't need to worry about pets/kids accidentally interacting with these.

I do strongly recommend that Reaper figures out some sort of way to test the levels of potentially hazardous compounds in the minis, so you don't get nailed with a bad batch from your supplier down the road. It would suck if the line tanked because of something like that.

We shouldn't be surprised that the members of a forum that has one of the best painting sections on the web are a little unimpressed by pre painted miniatures. After seeing the pictures on the dwarven forge site, these look great. I'll probably grab some and then either use the minwax polyshades on them or possibly a future/ink wash (either one followed by a dull coat). I love dungeon games and these are an economical way to get monsters. I'll still have all sorts of special monsters and main bad guys in metal though.

I find this an odd thing to worry so much about, being that Reaper's metal figures currently contain a higher level of lead than what you would find in the typical lead paint.

Though I am glad that they are lead free. I've had to box up all my reaper metal's since my daughter was born, and now I have reaper minis I can play with around her.

Halber

Thanks! I appreciate the lack of equivocation, and I picked up a few LE miniatures earlier today -- they look great, and I'm happy to hear that I don't need to worry about pets/kids accidentally interacting with these.

I do strongly recommend that Reaper figures out some sort of way to test the levels of potentially hazardous compounds in the minis, so you don't get nailed with a bad batch from your supplier down the road. It would suck if the line tanked because of something like that.

There's around 1% lead or less in pretty much all white metal alloys. There's also lead in the solder on your roof, electrical appliances, and car. Lead flashing is still used to help keep water out of your roof- it's a narrow sheet of pretty much 100% lead. Matter of fact lead is used a lot, everywhere. Lead is usually only a problem if it's powdered, and you eat it. To that end definitely don't let kids get near filings from any metal miniature, and don't let them touch a miniature that's not primed, painted and sealed.