Quality of Pre-painted Legendary Encounters

ZILLA

I got some today in my mega order of minis (all manfc, various sizes etc mostly reaper of course, ha ha) but I decided to see if the skeleys passed my test, out of a scale of 1-10, I'd say overall a 8, thou 7 or even worse maybe for the softness of the plastics on the skeleys. I also picked up a orc & it's pretty good, but the thinness of the legs & such hurts the skeletons + they suffer from lean over due to the soft plastic (something that is really bad in WoTC line of prepaints, to the point that after I buy a single & see I almost want to just throw it away).

paintjobs are pretty good I must say, the only thing I think is a tad bit overkill is the shading parts like where a hand holds something or straps on a shield, if that bit got toned down on the next releases, I think the paint jobs would pretty darn good (btw love the eyes on the orc, that is fantastic).

still it's a nice addition to the reaper line up as I know if I was going to have a encounter with skeletons & wanted minis to represent those, I'd go with the LE line for them, simple, cheap & are pretty good to look as well. In a way I can't wait to see what the next few line ups will be quality-wise, as even WoTC's line has vastly improved with every set they release, subject matter on the other hand, but hey I think I've already discussed that bit, ha ha

RM

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading many posts I went ahead and ordered one of each of the first wave. They arrived today and I am very pleased. I think they look better in reality than the pics show. Remember these pics are extreme close ups. When you're used to lurking around other sights and drooling at the awesome paint jobs of professional or award-winning mini painters, I think (for myself anyway) that my opinion was a bit unrealistic. Holding them in my hand or looking at them on my map grids they look fantastic.

They will definitely have a place at my gaming table for years to come. I want to buy stock in REAPER in that LE will have a HUGE advantage of WOTC's line because you know exactly what you're getting.

One thing that sucked, though, was my skelie spearman does lean over quite a bit (as was pointed out by someone else). If only REAPER could fix this. Thicker legs maybe? I had the same problem with WOTC skellies with swords, but I expect better from Reaper.

So my rating... 9 out of 10. Pretty damn spiffy.

If you're on the fence like I was, take the chance and buy some. I doubt you'll be disappointed. As a father of three and working full time, I've had to give up the painting. Let's face it, I'd rather be playing than painting anyway. This is great way to bypass that inevitable build up of a dozen awesome minis sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting to be brought to life by being painted. Unpainted minis for me is the same as an awesome player stuck on the sidelines.

I get to play with these cool little dudes today. Awesome!

Thanks Reaper. You've found a niche that I hope will grow as word spreads. Now if only you could forge an unholy alliance with Troll Lord Game's Castles and Crusades...

So we finally get our first look at the Legendary Encounters pre-painted plastic minis. What do you guys think? Personally, I think that they look horrible. I expected better from Reaper! Sorry guys. <_<

The simple fix for bent spears and swords is to dip the mini in hot water or heat it with a hair dryer until it becomes flexible, reshape the figure to the correct position, and immediately dip it into very cold water to lock it into the correct shape. I've done this with dozens of WOTC's minis and it works every time.

Regards,

V

Dude you so rock! Thanks!

J

The simple fix for bent spears and swords is to dip the mini in hot water or heat it with a hair dryer until it becomes flexible, reshape the figure to the correct position, and immediately dip it into very cold water to lock it into the correct shape. I've done this with dozens of WOTC's minis and it works every time.

Regards,

V

I saw them in person today and thought they looked melted and glossy... just horrible. I looked through 5 full pegs hoping to see a nice looking one, but no luck. I'll check back in a few days to see if any sold. The D&D figures look better (but still not great) and that's what the people in the store were using.

They ranged in price from $2-4ish and I wouldn't recommend them to any style of gamer. It would make more sense to get a bag of 100 zombies for $10 from that zombie card game if you just want bad looking proxies.

I think Reaper shot itself in the foot with this line. Go with tried and true sprues if you're going plastic. All those customized space marines can't be wrong.

I think Reaper shot itself in the foot with this line. Go with tried and true sprues if you're going plastic. All those customized space marines can't be wrong.

That's a poor attitude to have. If you look at DDM's first set Harbinger, the sculpts and paints compared to newer sets are terrible. I think the newest LE batch and the new production masters look great and hope those translate into the final product.

I saw them in person today and thought they looked melted and glossy... just horrible. I looked through 5 full

Couldn't disagree with you more! I think they look great compared to the DDM's.

I saw them in person today and thought they looked melted and glossy... just horrible. I looked through 5 full pegs hoping to see a nice looking one, but no luck. I'll check back in a few days to see if any sold.

24 days later update: Orc and Skeleton pegs are still full; minotaur, ogre, troll have one left each (I think there were 3 each at start). That's good news for the Boss figures.

The last place to buy Reaper metal figures in Chicago is selling them at a 40% discount and not restocking. Seems like the end of a miniatures era on the heels of Rackham. I'll have to go to the burbs (9 bucks round trip + a few hours) in order to see non-GW stuff in person. Bleh. Is there something about the city of Chicago proper that makes it unattractive in your marketing plans?

Why don't the marketing folks at Reaper try to get a few feet of wall in Michael's or Joann craft stores? Joann has a big room full of tables for their classes which could be used for painting demos.

I asked my favorite LGS why they weren't stocking the LE figures, since they were doing good business with other prepaints. His reply boiled down to he couldn't in good conscience recommend the minis, due to the poor quality.

How has the overall sales and feedback been? I'd hate to see Reaper take a bath with these.

I finally got to see a few "in person" at my FLGS. Several packs had sold out since they arrived only last week, and what was left in my opinion looked very good for the price. I had her special-order me several packs, which I am pretty excited about. Incidentally, it was the orcs and zombies that vanished first. Seems that people are buying the gosh-darned things to use as monsters in D&D.

Hmm....imagine that..

I have so far bought the Minotaur and the Ogre and am mostly happy with them. My only complaint is the bases. On my battlemat it is not always obvious which 4 squares these large minis occupy.

Not interested in the orcs and skeletons. They are nice I would have loved tham as a kid, but now I have a crapload of DDM skeletons and orcs.

Really looking forward to the

Female Demon (So much better than the DDM Type 5 Demon)

Succubus

Elf Archer

Female Ranger

Great Worm

Ettin

BR,

Red

I talked to the owners of two of our LGS and both state the LE are selling well enough for them to have had to restock several times and both are planning on getting the next series when they come out.

I'm sure the market and reception will vary from place to place and the type of gamers there.

The quality is no worse than half the painted figures I see out there and better looking than all the unpainted armies I see being used. When you have between 2000 and 10,000 point armies, and half are unpainted, or in various stages of being painted and have been that way for months on end, you have a hard time convincing me that "paint your own" armies are the way to go. That blah silver, or blah gray is just that. Blah.

At long last, I managed to pick up some Legendary Encounter figures and I have to say these fit the bill perfectly. They are not showcase models by a long shot, but this is a perfect method for amassing a ton of horde troops and the like. My recent purchase consisted of two cave trolls, and though I would not feel confident putting them out on the table as "THE troll" at the end of a module or scenario, I would be more than happy to use them as "A troll" among others in a running campaign.

I hope that Reaper will continue with this line for years to come. Unfortunately I don't actually need anything that is currently on the pegs (since over the years I have painted literally hundreds of orcs, skeletons, etc,) but this is going to be a great tool for new gamers and anyone looking to opt out of their easily chipped hand-painted minis.

In regard to some strong negative comments on the figure quality, I would suggest you give it time - it's been said here before that the D&D minis' Harbinger line looked markedly worse than the first string of Legendary Encounters, and I think that Reaper of all companies will be able to follow the same exponential curve of improvement as Wizards of the Coast.

I am really looking forward to the next release!

Well spoke. Reaper ain't rushin' these things by a dang sight. I've got more than enough figs to actually paint, and between all the Dreamblade models I've popped off the bases, and my friend (and DM)'s D&D plastics, we've got more than any group prolly needs.

Reaper does metal right. Plastics are a new venture for them, and by taking their time to put out a quality product, they'll only do better for it than rushing to put out releases that are flat, thereby falling flat on their faces. I'm sure I'll buy a few down the road when I see something I'd like.

As for the bases. I'd rather see Reaper not waste the plastic on square or round bases. That's best left to the gamer to decide what they want to do. Not everyone plays a game forcing you into a square on a mat!! Some of us like round bases, and with a little sticky-tac, or superglue, anyone can base the model the way they like. You can pick up supercheap plywood bases in just the right size to keep costs down.