joshuaslater

Metal Prices

I have no problem with prices going up where they need to. I love the company and what they do for us. I love the quality of their product.

My biggest response is that I hope Reaper will be able to prosper and continue being the company that so many of us love this much. If that means dropping a few extra dollars here and there then it's more than worth it.

The miniature collector in me agrees. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on a showpiece or a mini I really like. However the miniature gamer in me if feeling pretty pinched with the price increases that have happened over the last few years industry wide. I feel I'm being pushed away from pewter for gameing by the cost of it. The alternatives are poor since I really like to paint. There are crappy pre-painted plastics or GWs injection molded models. I like GWs plastics and their are really starting to turn out some nice stuff but it's not very generic and almost none of them are female so that cuts way down on their practicality for use in RPGs since I almost always have female players and NPC.

Metal is expensive and when cost go up prices follow. They pretty much have to if the company wants to stay in buisness. The plastics options that exist at this time just arn't as nice. I have a big collection but I still come up short and need minis for games that I just don't have. I keep working on my campaigns but I've noticed a couple times recently that's I start shopping for and picking up minis for future sessions only to realize I've spent over $100 on a single moderately sized encounter. I just can't keep doing that so I don't know how long I'm going to be a miniature gamer. Miniature collector. Sure. Miniature Gamer.... Not likely. Not unless some of these companies come up with suitable alternative materials with similar variety to their pewter lines.

I just can't keep doing that so I don't know how long I'm going to be a miniature gamer. Miniature collector. Sure. Miniature Gamer.... Not likely. Not unless some of these companies come up with suitable alternative materials with similar variety to their pewter lines.

Try looking at the oft-overlooked lines, such as the fantasy lines from traditionally historical manufacturers. They may not be Garrity sculpts, but some of them have charm. Essex, FREX, is the only manufacturer I know of that has a decent line of gnomes (of the non-pointy-hat variety). And if you just need bog standard cannon fodder humans, historical lines are a good answer. I picked up 10 Gripping Beast Norman spearmen for $14. Not a bad price at all, with good sculpting.

Damon.

Wait 'til the new "metalisresin" starts up. Hasslefree may be releasing some models in this material--a resin with powdered metal in it. I have no worries about the future of gaming models if its as good as the painters have been saying on their forum.

I'm thinking that metal prices will push a drive towards more skirmish style games and smaller scale gaming. So games will still be there, but at a smaller scale, either unit size or figure size. I wouldn't be surprised to see 20 or 15mm become more popular for wargamers.

There is another hybrid resin out there that has more plastic in it. Looks just like reasin but doesn't have the same brittleness that most have. Kraken is using it for their line.

going to the LME (London Metal Exchange) site I see a dramatic drop in tin prices over the last 20 days. Maybe we've seen the worst of the tin price increases and prices are stabilizing.

Yay! No more tin spike! Well, I hope.

As Lars said, if you're looking for human cannon fodder, historicals do nicely. I have a small army of them. But I WANT to have a small army of Reapers, because I likes 'em

The price dropped from 17000 to 14000 in under 3 weeks, so there's hope. We're still at twice the cost of august 2005 (and almost 4 times the cost of tin in 2001), but atleast we're back to July 2007 levels.