Printers bad for your health?

Krztoff

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While it's fun to joke about the H20 and all I really don't see why emission levels of printers shouldn't be a concern. I agree that worrying about stuff you can't do anything about is useless, but since "only" 30% of the tested printers emitted particles in harmful levels it's clearly possible to produce printers that don't emit these particles. So if it's practical to produce safer printers why not require it?

I don't care if it's an actual law or if it's the industry legally obligating itself to lower emissions. I just think it's totally reasonable for consumers to assume that their printers won't significantly hurt their health.

When I buy a piece of hardware I don't want to have to worry about it killing me slowly. As a minimum I'd like clearly visible labels indicating when stuff has been found to seriously affect my health.

Edited by vejlin

In fact I think it would be worth it to make a very general law that states that products that have been found to seriously hurt peoples health be marked clearly. Then when we figure out something is dangerous we don't need to spend years constructing a new law we can just define a threshold value for that substance. If we later figure out that something wasn't as dangerous after all we can raise the the threshold value.

I know many people on here subscribe to a rather extreme variant of "buyer beware", but I really don't see how you can expect people to run around measuring the emission levels on all electronics, etc etc.

I figure if it's not my car, the air I breathe, the water I drink, the soda, the burgers, the pesticides on the salad, or some strain of bird flu, something else will get me.

It must be scientific fact that there is nothing in the universe that couldn't kill you if it tried hard enough.

It's the Hot Wings, Bryan, It's the hot wings. :upside:

Hmm...

Makes me wonder about my Mom's mystery illness she suffered in the 80s - the illness that was getting worse and worse, and then suddenly got a whole lot better (but didn't disappear) within a couple of months after her company moved to a different office building. We always thought it had to be something in the building itself, but maybe she was sitting too close to the laser printer.

I think I'm going to have a little more in depth look at what laser printer I buy once I buy one, since it will be sitting on the desk right next to me.

All this puts me in mind of the alarm that got raised about ten years ago regarding electromagnetic fields created by computer monitors, power lines and other evils.

What squelched that particular crusade was the realization that the average office coffeepot hotplate produced more EMF than the average office computer.

All this puts me in mind of the alarm that got raised about ten years ago regarding electromagnetic fields created by computer monitors, power lines and other evils.

What squelched that particular crusade was the realization that the average office coffeepot hotplate produced more EMF than the average office computer.

But it's good that people get worried about things like that, because sometimes it turns out they *are* bad, like second hand smoke.

If people dismiss things outright, the stuff that can kill you will never get banned or restricted.

yeah, EMF fields tend to cause more problems with each other than they do people. Said coffee hotplate can seriously disrupt a wireless internet connection if it's in the right place in relation to the Access point and the laptop PC. Still, it's prudent to avoid longterm exposure in close proximity - IE, putting a wireless access point where it's 3 feet from your head every day for 8 hours a day isn't really smart, if you can mount it on a shelf higher up or further away.

The particulates that laser printers spew out seem like they would have a more immediate impact, particularly to people who already have breathing problems. Look at how sensitive some people are to cigarette smoke and just plain dust.

I'm not particularly scared of laser printers now, but it does seem prudent to order one that spews out less dust - even if only to help keep my office cleaner.