Transporting cavs

ladystorm

Okay I now have enough CAV to make serious inquiries to how people chose to transport their CAVs.

I have seen gun cases, both hand and rifle, in use.  What other options do you use?  I have looked at the Reaper Store's selection, anyone use them?

Any links would be great.  

cbs :upside:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Armytransport case from sabol designs. It runs about $60. It can be customized and has pockets for other material as well. A shoulder strap rounds out the case. Overall I've been very happy with it. Its on Reapers site, you might check it out.

Ladystorm, if you remember that black bag I had my CAV's in, then you've seen the Army Transport case which is available from the Reaper Store.

I have several of these and they're pretty cool. In one average AT case, I can get two companies of Heavy CAV's (couple of Supers in there too), whichincludes infantry and aircraft and armour, plus some extras. At Origins, I had the Werewolves and a generic Battle Company of Heavy class units.

The larger one I bought on Sunday was a Battalion Transport case. This is a larger version of AT cases and it's on wheels. This is also very nice, since it carries the same trays and has more room for books and stuff.

Jeremy was using Chessex boxes, and I've used these as well. These work well, although they don't like Dictators and you really need to glue the bottom foam layer to the divider foam. But they're great for only carrying a couple of sections.

Squawk had another type of case at Origins which was also very nice. I believe it was a BattlePack from Charon Productions. These look really nice as well, and ain't as expensive as AT and BT stuff.

Hope this helps.

Well, I like the Charon cases a lot and may buy one after GenCon.

What I use is a pistol case designed to hold 4 pistols.  I then cut the foam inserts to make spots for my CAVs, then glue a another sheet of foam to the back.  This seet to hold figs better than the standard egg crate foam, but its a bit more labor intensive.

I too use pistol cases with custom-cut foam.  This seems to be the only good way to deal with oversized figures such as Katanas.

I've tried other cases, but they invariably damaged CAVs that don't fit well in wrong-sized compartments.  I've also tried magnetic tape on metallic surfaces, which I use quite a bit with fantasy armies, but the weight of larger figs is too much for this to work.

Any others?

I use a Shimano tackle bag that I picked up at Wal-Mart, then bought foam at Hobby Lobby and made my own trays.  It carries 3 dozen regular sized CAVs with another 10 slots for the ones with long guns like the Rhino, Dictator, etc.  

It's got a large zipper pocket on the front that holds my 2 rulebooks, JoR and about 2" worth of datacards.  Each side has another zipper pocket big enough for dice, counters, pens, laser pointer, etc on one side and digital camera on the other.  The back has a mesh pocket that's good for my decks of cards and cold, sweaty Coke bottles. :D

The best part was that it only cost me $30 and a couple hours of work for the whole thing.

I've out grown it though and am now working on a new case built out of an extremely large tool box from Home Depot.  It'll be my Con Box, b/c it's too dang big to just haul to the store for an afternoon!

I found a nifty tool case at Lowes Home Improvement store.  $25 for an aluminum case with the "pick-n-pluck" style foam.  Plus it has an insert underneath the foam in the top lid for holding tools that might work for other items.

I'd post a link to it, but their website isn't coopertating right now.

The problem isn't finding the cases, it's finding the p-n-p foam.  Eventually that stuff wears out and needs replacing.  That or you can buy just about any case or box and put the foam in it.

If you can find it.

Erion

dang it!

I've been trying to get a hold of you for a while!

I'm thinking of setting up a session in York at the Comic Store West. If you haven't been there yet, trust me, they have anything and everything you need.

and by the way; whens the next tourney at the Adventure Guild, these guys have been sending me info on everything else but CAV.

holla at me Playa!

Normally I have no problems with pistol cases.  However, the happy airline types on the way back from Origins made me check one of mine.  Everything slid to the back of the case, and I had like 8 CAVs snapped and bent in various places, as well as pretty much all my Psyros shattered.

Rrr.

Again I say, RRR.

I was able to repair most of the damage, but still, this is quite annoying.