Who's job would you dare to try?

kristof65

Grr.... Ok, this is somewhat of a rant about my job. But I am wondering if other occupations see the same frustration.

Among my various customers, I have several Doctors, Lawyers, Pilots, School Teachers, etc, who all own car washes.

Invariably, something breaks down, and instead of just calling their distributor for service, they figure they can call me for help to fix it themselves. Often times this results in the scenario where the more they mess with it, the worse things get - in the meantime, they're yelling at me because their equipment is down, and they're losing money. I've had so called educated owners mess with something for weeks, then finally call a tech (which I suggest in the first place), who is able to fix the problem inside an hour.

Now, I'm an electronics technician by trade/training, plus I have a business degree. I also know a lot about fixing pumps, motors, hoses, etc - the sort of stuff you find in car washes. I know where my specialties lie. I know absolutely nothing about being a doctor, or fixing my car (non-electrical problems, that is) or flying a plane. Thanks to my business degree, I know a little bit about the law - but still, I wouldn't even begin to pretend I could do one of those jobs.

So why do otherwise intelligent people who have spent years training to be doctors, lawyers, pilots, etc, pretend they can be a technician?

Who's job would you dare to try without training? What kind of people try to do your job without training?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a rutabega could be president...

I could be a grocery store clerk, or a clothes folder at a department store.

cheap snob customers looking at my custom/handmade/labor of love intensive jewelry. and not beaded- my wire work, stone setting, 14kt freeking gold fabricated or cast jewelry.

Jobs qualified for: Out-moded aircraft radar systems repair, TV Master Control Board engineer (that was my job title, I plugged tapes and made sure the commercials ran on time), aircraft ground handler (the guy in the earmuffs with the flashlights at the airport), and minor carpentry

Who'd want my job: Umm... I own a gaming store, there are a thousand plus geeks that want my job until they find out it's not just goofing off all day and getting goodies at cost.

Game designer, Helltown's job (sorry Helltown, but I do have a business degree and it is something that I've always thought about and actually did several of my projects for business classes based on it, so I'm not just any geek with no clue what goes on behind the scenes), security guard, video game beta tester (if a game is going to show bugs to someone, it's me. It's a curse), and I really hope I could be a high school teacher, since I'm planning on getting a license through a local masters program and taking a shot at it.

My biggest problem with people who think they can do my job was at my last job as a financial adviser. Everyone thinks they know what to do and how to do it, and don't see why they would pay anyone to do it for them.

In my current job, I don't think anybody thinks they could do my job, because quite frankly, nobody really knows what I do. I'm control operations for an institutional brokerage firm. And your eyes just glazed over.

Hmm having once been a teacher I can say half of the people trained to do the job have no buisiness doing the job.

I would love to try just of one day to be a High School Administrator since most of them have the intelligence of a babbon and I think I could do the job.

That or I would like to try having a radio show. A cross between Howard Stern and Bill O'Riley.

well pretty much any intelligent person could do my current job since its mostly OJT. What I loved watching was when I was a McDonalds manager in college and people would come in and think, how hard could it be? you just boss people around. Then watch as they fall to pieces when they have a full restaurant, a drive-thru line around the building, the phone ringing and 3 people standing at the counter demanding to talk to a manager..hehe..its not as easy as it looks, give those people (fast food workers) some credit (at least the ones who actually try).

Jobs I think I could do: hmm...I could be a boss. lol. I'm good at bossing people around! I'd like to take a crack at teaching, real estate, and many more things.....someday

Oh and of course I'd be the supportive wife (with a business background) to help Chris out with his game shop.

What I loved watching was when I was a McDonalds manager in college and people would come in and think, how hard could it be? you just boss people around. Then watch as they fall to pieces when they have a full restaurant, a drive-thru line around the building, the phone ringing and 3 people standing at the counter demanding to talk to a manager..hehe..its not as easy as it looks, give those people (fast food workers) some credit (at least the ones who actually try).

Now McDonald's (or any fast food) manager is something I wouldn't try out. Not because I don't think I could do it - I know most of what's involved on the management/business side, and I'm sure that some OJT could bring me up to speed on the fryers/cash registers, etc. If I had a good crew working for me, I know I could do it. And that's the catch - a good crew. Those are far and few between - there's always at least two crew members on any shift who screw things up and make life difficult for the manager/shift supervisor - either by slacking off, screwing up orders or pissing off customers or some other stupid thing.

Another job that really annoyed me in how people percieved it - I was an arcade tech for 4-5 years - basically, I fixed video games. Yet when I went looking for jobs afterwards, that tech job wasn't taken as a serious electronics job by many of the people I interviewed with. Pretty short-sighted considering that I was working with games that were more high tech and modern than a lot of equipment some of the companies I was applying at were using. They were definitely more modern than any of the Navy equipment I ever worked on.

I'm kind of facing the same situation now in the car wash business - my electronic skills are considered "rusty" because the car wash industry is a few years behind the main stream. OTH, the car wash business has a definite shortage of people who actually know how to fix things.

-snip-

Jobs I think I could do: hmm...I could be a boss. lol. I'm good at bossing people around! I'd like to take a crack at teaching, real estate, and many more things.....someday

Oh and of course I'd be the supportive wife (with a business background) to help Chris out with his game shop.

Good at bossing people around...

Yes she is. Kinda like the O'lords, but without all the kindness.

I kid, of course. :unsure:

Now McDonald's (or any fast food) manager is something I wouldn't try out. Not because I don't think I could do it - I know most of what's involved on the management/business side, and I'm sure that some OJT could bring me up to speed on the fryers/cash registers, etc. If I had a good crew working for me, I know I could do it. And that's the catch - a good crew. Those are far and few between - there's always at least two crew members on any shift who screw things up and make life difficult for the manager/shift supervisor - either by slacking off, screwing up orders or pissing off customers or some other stupid thing.

yeah thats the tricky party..a good crew. with a good crew a 5 year old could run the store because it practically runs itself. But when you have to make sure susie and john are in separate areas because they just broke up and jessie can't be on the register because she can't count change back correctly and bob is always rude to customers so he needs to stay in the back, plus then in the middle of the shift, ken walks out because he didn't want to do the dishes, he wanted to work on the grill. now add the complication of customers who are rude and impatient..ugh..

in all reality, if I could go back and work with the same people I worked with before just for about double the pay (hehe) I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I would be right in there with you.. I am still a teacher and there are still people that Don't need to be doing this job or I should say calling... and the administration job would be one that I won't might giving a go...

Hmm having once been a teacher I can say half of the people trained to do the job have no business doing the job.

I would love to try just of one day to be a High School Administrator since most of them have the intelligence of a babbon and I think I could do the job.

That or I would like to try having a radio show. A cross between Howard Stern and Bill O'Riley.

Game designer, Helltown's job (sorry Helltown, but I do have a business degree and it is something that I've always thought about and actually did several of my projects for business classes based on it, so I'm not just any geek with no clue what goes on behind the scenes), security guard, video game beta tester (if a game is going to show bugs to someone, it's me. It's a curse), and I really hope I could be a high school teacher, since I'm planning on getting a license through a local masters program and taking a shot at it.

See, told ya! Someone would want my job ::D: I don't have a business degrees, I don't have a college degree for that matter. I've found it to be easier that way because I'm not bogged down with all the 'well they told us this in my blah class but...' inner turmoil. I make a decision based on experiences as a gamer, collector, and painter and decide if it's just me that wants it or it's something marketable. If it's just me, I'll special order it.. for me, like my RMS paints. If it's something I'm not sure of because I'm not interested, I'll do a test run and if it doesn't work.. liquidate at a small margin rather than regular margin and move on.