ridge filling base coat please!

Hi ya...

I'm working on a dude with an overall pitted texture on his robes that I'm trying to smooth out. I thought it was just a bad cast and bought another, but the second one has it too so I'm thinking it's sculpted. I've been playing with filing and sanding it down, but not liking the results. Last night I started wondering if I could just do a couple controlled "ridge filing base coats" with some magic wash. I generally use RMS paints and tamyia primer, so what do you think... magic wash before primer or after?

Has anyone tried this before?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Primer is used so paint will stick to the metal. So putting magic wash under the primer isn't something I would suggest.

You could try a tacky glue and smooth it over the pitted surface with your finger. Kind of fill it in with the glue. That would leave a smoother surface than trying green stuff.

If you want to smooth out an area, I would recommend either Aves Apoxie Sculpt (with their Safety Solvent) or one of the acrylic gel mediums (Golden and Liquitex are both good).

The Aves smooths wonderfully, especially with the rubber tipped colour shapers and clay shapers. The gloss thick gel medium can also be used for adding water or building flames.

A liquid super-glue and gravity can work wonders for filling pits. For ridges that are difficult to file, I recommend a putty (greenstuff or what-have-you). Though I've hidden ridges with judicious placement of paint and highlights, too... so long as they aren't large shifts.

You wouldn't happen to be painting the Reaper DHL "Vampire and Victim" model, now would you? I'm presently painting it, and the vampire's cloak is LOADED with pits (and has several ridge lines to boot.) I've been wondering if the pits were intentional, too, but there aren't any other signs of sculpted fraying or wear on the cloak to suggest otherwise. I'm thinking poor cast.

I've not tried this on a metal mini so I'm not sure if it'll work but give a little white out a try, the stuff you use to correct errors on paper. You can probably snag a bottle of it at work, give it a shot and see if it works for ya. If it doesn't, you didn't spend any money. I've used this with good success on styrene models but for small areas, not large.

A couple things to keep in mind with white out, it will dry fast but can easily be removed if you don't like the outcome. It also shrinks, so add more than you think is needed. Any excess can easily be trimmed out and then lightly sanded, hope that helps!

Primer is used so paint will stick to the metal. So putting magic wash under the primer isn't something I would suggest.

You could try a tacky glue and smooth it over the pitted surface with your finger. Kind of fill it in with the glue. That would leave a smoother surface than trying green stuff.

Yeah, I was mostly wondering if I could get away with not re-priming after filling the pits. And I'm not sure if spreadable type application will work, because there are alot of deep tight pleats in the fabric. I really wanted something liquidy that I could brush on and allow to self level.

WH: No, it's not the vampire and victim... it's Darkrasp, Death preist. He has alot of holes in his robe that are clearly part of the sculpt, but the even, overall texture is just wacky. Extends to most of the surfaces on the mini... not just the robe... Like fuzzy primer on an un primed mini.

*sigh* Maybe I will just have to do as Cerridwyn suggested and figure out how to make it work for me. This forces a significant change of plans.... :huh:

... it's Darkrasp, Death preist. He has alot of holes in his robe that are clearly part of the sculpt, but the even, overall texture is just wacky. Extends to most of the surfaces on the mini... not just the robe... Like fuzzy primer on an un primed mini.

That sounds like a bad pull (term?) on the mini from the mold. You might want to drop a line to the Reaper peeps here and see if maybe they can get you a better replacement. I'm not sure who the appropriate one is, but I am sure that someone here can supply the right address.

TS