Colors

Vaitalla

• Reaper User

So, have just been putting together my painting kit for Gen Con and as usual I'm trying to haul as few paints as possible. preFUNK spotted me putting together my kit and asked about it. I didn't have much time to talk to him as we were both working, but it got me thinking about the weird gang of colors I consider "necessary". So, if I were trapped on a desert island this is what I'd bring (other than drying retarder!), according to the colors I just picked out for my Con kit!

Red Brick, Deep Red, Blood Red, Clear Red

Fire Orange, Burnt Orange

Sunlight Yellow, Clear Yellow

Grass Green, Pine Green, Swamp Green, Olive Green, Pale Olive, Jungle Moss

Ritterlich Blue, Ultramarine Shadow, Clear Blue, Ultramarine Highlight, Surf Aqua, Twilight Blue, Snow Shadow

Nightshade Purple, Imperial Purple, Clear Plum, Violet Red, Faded Purple

Russett Brown, Intense Brown, Driftwood Brown, Walnut Brown, Rust Brown, Mahogany Brown, Ashen Brown

Palomino Gold, Sandy Tan

Golden Shadow, Rosy Shadow, Tanned Skin, Dark Highlight

Brown Liner, Blue Liner, Grey Liner, Red Liner

Pure White, Cloudy Grey, Linen White, Ghost White

Stained Ivory, Creamy Ivory, Bone Shadow

And that's it! Fifty colors, by my count. How about you guys? Which ones are you like "OMG why?" and which ones would you add? ::):

--Anne, in the midst of Con Prep!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So... bare minimums that I can't live without? Aside from stuff like primer and additives, right?

Here goes:

4 Red: RMS Clear Red, GW Blood Red, RPP Dragon Red, RPP Firehawk

4 Blue: RMS Breonne Blue, GW Enchanted Blue, GW Night Sky, Blue Liner

2 Purple: RMS Imperial Purple, RMS Violet Red

2 Green: GW Dark Angels Green, RPP Kilt Green

2 Yellow: RMS Clear Yellow, GW Golden Yellow

0 Orange: Umm.. none.. Oranges, I mix myself

5 Neutrals: Pure White, Pure Black, Grey Liner, Rainy Grey, Ghost White, Linen White (all RMS)

6 Flesh: Fair Skin Shadow, Fair Skin, Rosy Skin Shadow. Dark Elf Skin Triad ( :wub: )

3 Brown: RPP Walnut, GW Scorched Brown, RMS Terran Khaki

3 Metallics: VMC Silver, RMS Blackened Steel, VMC Metallic Medium

So that's... 31 paints? I'm used to not having a lot of paint so, it's not really asking me much to sacrifice a few. In actual thought.. you could probably trap me on an island with a box of empty bottles, the RMS Clears, some RPP Walnut, a Neutral Triad and three bottles of VMC Metallic Medium and I'd be content. Just airlift in some jelly beans and new minis now and then and you'd have one happy Helltown.

If I knew I was going to be trapped on a desert island and had time to prepare what I would bring, I would take a rubber raft. And double stuff oreos, and maybe a cell phone...

Otherwise, your colors look good.

In no particular order

Apple Barrel: Black, Misty White, Toffee

MSP: Bright Red, Tanned Skin, True Blue, Chestnut Gold, Stormy Gray, Pale Green, Dark Shadow, Amethyst Purple, Snow Shadow, Linen White, Clear Yellow, BROWN LINER, Buckskin Pale, Misty Gray, Pale Indigo, Deep Amethyst, Ashen Blue, Imperial Purple, Fair Skin

IWM: Forest Green

VMC: Natural Steel

I think I would get really bored with only paints and minis. I think I would be really happy with minis (with mold lines already filed down) to build and convert.

Do you really think you will use the grey and red liners that much? If it was me, I'd replace those with Aged Bone and something from the reptilian triad. I'm in love with Serpentine Shadow :wub:

Thanks for the replacement bottle BTW... much better!

Jen K

I tend to use grey liner a lot more than I use actual black. Red liner is great for darkening reds.

for smallest amount of paints, a cold and warm of yellow, red,blue, then a black, and white. That is my entire paint line up for my illustration work, so I could probably make it work for the minis. Otherwise I will take both cases full of paint :rolleyes:

Hmmm.. What colors are the ones I reach for every time?

Linen White

Walnut Brown

Red Browns - Mahogany, Chestnut, Rust

Twilight Blues - Deep Maethyst, Indigo Sky, Pale Indigo

Golden Skin Triad

Aged Pewter

Tarnished Brass

Adding to those to be the only colors I would have? I don't know if I could do it. It all depends on what I'm painting. But looking over the candidates I'll put down:

Bloodthirsty Reds

Vivid Blues

Mist Greens

Bone Triad

Ivory Bone Triad

Grey Blue Triad

I know I'll smack myself and ask why I didn't include some colors on the list but these are the ones that come to mind.

• Reaper User
Do you really think you will use the grey and red liners that much? If it was me, I'd replace those with Aged Bone and something from the reptilian triad. I'm in love with Serpentine Shadow :wub:

Jen K

No problem, glad that the newer paint works better for you! ::):

Grey Liner for shadows on silver/steel NMM. Pure Black is too harsh for me.

Red Liner is absolutely necessary to my favorite red hair recipe ever. And I paint a lot of redheads! ::D:

--Anne

I'm afraid I would have to take them all as they are all pretty cool, but like Toad said a raft and some double stuff Oreos (though I may prefer Fig Newtons, argh, why can't they double stuff Fig Newtons?) would work out well.

However, there will always be a special spot in my heart for the vivid blue triad, even if mine seem to come out high-gloss. I love those blues!

Jen K

No problem, glad that the newer paint works better for you! ::):

Grey Liner for shadows on silver/steel NMM. Pure Black is too harsh for me.

Red Liner is absolutely necessary to my favorite red hair recipe ever. And I paint a lot of redheads! ::D:

--Anne

At the risk of temporarily de-railing the thread, could you go over your red-hair recipe, please (by mix per layer)?

And as for the original question, if you can take 50, I'll take them all, they're small bottles and I can't make a decision that tough... :rolleyes:

REAPER

Grey, Blue, & Brown Liner

Lininen White

Bone Triad

Desert Sand (great for highlighting yellow hair)

Forest Green, Grass Green

Tanned Flesh Triad

Rosey Flesh Triad

VGC

Scab Red

Scar Red

Scrofoulus Brown (vomit Brown)

Dwarf Flesh

Tanned Flesh

Elf Flesh

VMC

Leather Brown

Earth Brown

US Tan Brown

US Khaki

Refelective Green

Violet Green

Green Grey

German Black Brown

Vermillion Red.

Blues

I use a triad blue mix that was just a bunch of piants mixed togeather to this day I do not know what I used and I am running out.

P3

Flesh Wash

Armor Wash

Blues

I use a triad blue mix that was just a bunch of piants mixed togeather to this day I do not know what I used and I am running out.

Bring them to GP next time you know I will be there, I will try and help you get a mix close to them. I used to do that at the art stores I worked at.

Edit: Or take then to Gen Con, and see if Anne can decipher your colors (probably the better bet)