Parents naming thier Kids Stupid names

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Administrators

My oldest daughter, Moira, has a bit of trouble speaking. It's tricky for her to hit all the syllables of our oldest son's name, Christopher. Critter, however, poses no problem for her. So it sticks.

I'm constantly amazed at the people who don't think about the impact names will have on a child. Particularly when they have a last name that creates names like the one you mentioned Rastl.

Of course, I have a sister who loved to mess with that concept - her married name is Grove, and she swore up and down to everyone but my mom, dad and I through out her pregnancy if it was a girl, that she would be named Aspen. She had a co-worker that was having an absolute conniption fit over it, and tried to talk her out of it every day. My sister's comment to her co-worker after her daughter was born (and not named Aspen) was "Like I would really do that to a child."

I grew up with a name I was both proud of and embarrassed about at the same time - August. I'm the fifth generation of first born sons to have that as our first names (we all have different middle names). Like my dad, though, I grew up being called by my middle name, and I still go by that. At the time, August wasn't a very common or popular name, so whenever someone found out my first name, I always had to endure taunts, and teasing and was quite embarrassed about it. Looking back on it, the bulk of the embarrassment came from it being a "hidden" name, not really from the name itself.

Of course, I saddled my son with the same name, but he actually goes by August. I'm sure he'll have to endure the same taunts and teasing, but at least it will be out in the open, and kids discovering his very common middle name won't have that to tease him about. His name has no unusual rhymes or cadence, his initials don't spell anything, and nothing goes with our last name that makes it sound derogatory. Nope, all he'll have to worry about is his friends finding out his mom calls him "Shmoopy doo."

My oldest daughter, Moira, has a bit of trouble speaking. It's tricky for her to hit all the syllables of our oldest son's name, Christopher. Critter, however, poses no problem for her. So it sticks.

Geez, I wish I would have pronounced my name that way. No, when I was 3-4, I pronounced it Hiss-o-fur. To this day, my mom still calls me Auggie Hissofer when she wants to get under my skin. Fortunately, she used it too much, and I can ignore it now.

I'd much rather have Critter...

My mother's mother's name was Beatrice, but for some reason which she carried to her grave, everybody called her "Bat".

When my oldest cousin Elizabeth was named, my grandma swore up and down that my aunt and uncle gave her that name because (as she would say in her quirky speech) "Y'all knew I couldn't say Liddabet."

You can tell your Mo from this former Mo that the mangling of your older brother's name is perfectly fine. My brother, Eric, was Ack until I hit kindergarten and got some help with my speech problems. If I ever meet a few more people named Moira, we can confirm if it comes with the name or not.

And a bit of advice... make sure your Mo knows that teachers, especially substitute teachers, will mangle her name.

... Thanks to poor penmanship on a 7th grade teacher's part, a sub for her called me Mario <_< And that stuck through high school...

My mother has a thing about first names having 4 or less letters in them, so the kid has an easier time learning to write their name.

With that in mind, I suggested the name Otto for my brother. He told me he would have been cool with it...

But then I'm named after a bar and my mothers favorite sport (at the time).

I'm also known by quite a few people as Uno. Sometimes even my mother.

I've known people named Heaven Burns and Ryan Ryan.

MY NAME IS SUE! HOW DO YOU DO?

NOW YOU'RE GONNA DIE!

I think Apsen is a pretty name.

Aspen is a very pretty name (and tree). But would you want to go through life as Aspen Grove? Are you a person, or a forest? Or maybe even a shopping mall? Aspen Smith, Aspen Jones, Aspen Garbagio, even Aspen Eversberg are all good names. But Aspen Grove is just mean.

I once worked with a guy whos last name was Sherriff. His parents decided to name him Marshall. Marshall Sherriff - if you asked him if he was a cop, he'd nearly deck you - he'd heard the stupid joke, or variants of it for his entire life. And I completely understand the frustration - I've heard the line "So, were you born in August" so many times from people checking my ID, that I swear I'm going to scream one of these times.

Couple of interesting and probably drug induced names that I have encountered in my life...

A teacher named Cinnamon Lane.

An engineer named Thomas Thomas Thomas.

An environmental health and safety officer named Wallace John Wallace.

Those had to suck as a kid.