Parents naming thier Kids Stupid names

In the book "Freakenomics" they cover the whole name-as-impediment-to-job thing and discovered it wasn't true. Hiring managers don't really care what your name is so long as you show up on time. And since most kids have odd names these days it doesn't matter to them, kids will be cruel or not depending on their nature/nurture. I wanted to name my son Silas Gunnar, but my wife was afraid that "The DaVinci Code" would catch on and Silas would equate somehow with Scrooge or Vader. We went with Patrick Scott, so he'll have 'Fat Pat' or 'Snotty' to deal with.

Also, my wife is a high scool teacher, and is getting really tired of all the Brittany's and Amber's in her classes. I tell her to wait it out for the nexrt wave in trendy names.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey. My son's called Ash. Well, Ashton. Ashton Josiah. I really like that. First name was just the only one we could think of that we liked (and we thought loooooong), second is for my mother's dad. My daughter is Evelyn Adelle, but we shorten it to Evie (Eevee, unlike my dad's mother for whom she was named, whose name got shortened to Ev, "Evv")

My name and my father's name mainly alternate back through an unknown number of generations in his family. Weird thing is he had no idea at the time of my naming. I wasn't going to call my kid "Hugh" though.

As a person from a country that regulates names in the extreme*, I can tell you that the ingenuity of parents who want to give their kids "funny names" can circumvent any legislation. You simply alter your last name so that the first + last name combination is "funny".

"Funny" combos I've encountered:

Mark Krell ("mackerel fish")

Steen Aldermand ("Stone age man")

*) When chosing a name for your kid you can chose a name from the pre-approved list or send an application in requesting a name not on the list. The list contains all the stripper names BTW. Getting a custom name approved is also pretty much automatic if you don't try superman, 4real, satan or similar stuff. A couple got Christophpher approved some years back which took a little while.

Grown ups can change their own names freely.

I went to school with a Jim Beam and a Mark Doobie. Mark's parents were stuck no matter what they did but Jim's needed a smack upside the head.

And then there was the Thyng family. Pronounced "thing'. They named a child Harold.

My wife is an elementary school teacher, so the names options are a constant source of humor for us.

We were actually talking about kids names long before we even started having a child, and had names picked out prior to her becoming pregnant. One of our rules. You had to be able to find the name on a license plate at the amusement park. I think most folks at least in their late 20's early 30's know the little souvenir I am talking about. The wacky spellings, just as an attempt to be different always make us laugh.

Now, I have not real problem with a parent wanting to do something stupid like this to their children, because honestly, the teasing and torment that poor child will undergo just means I will have these children becoming maladjusted adults, which means I will continue to have a steady source of employment :lol:

I really love the old names, especially biblical ones. And I love names that carry a family connection or history. Kristof, even though August by today's standards is a bit quirky, it's also a family tradition, and those are things I think should be honored.

Our daughter was named Erin Muriel. If she was a boy, she would have been James Paul.

Erin is my wife's best friend since Kindergarten, in fact, she is Colorado as I type this visiting for the week. Muriel was my grandmother and a woman I adored and respected and still tear up if I think too much about how much I miss her. She also taught me every ounce of sarcasm and wisearse I possess (I was a dutiful student). She made me swear when I was a teenager that if I ever had a child, I would never name it after her or she would haunt me for the rest of my natural born life. Her name was Muriel Augusta, and she hated it. I promised her I would never use her name as my child's first name, but I reserved the right remember her with a middle name. She said that would be fine.

James was my uncle, who passed away when I was 2, and by all accounts, he and I were very much alike, personality, general appearance. So much so that as my grandmother became ill and her mind started slipping, she would call me Jimmy. Paul has been for all intents and purposes my dad for the past 20 years, though he only officially became stepdad 1.5 years ago.

Funny initials. My wife and I have had a blast with this when we were picking names. We literally spent 2 hours one night laughing til we hurt coming up with funny combinations.

My initials are MRS. My dad thought it would be interesting since I would always be MR Shetler. When I was older, I pointed out how I would always be Mr. Shetler and cursed him for his lack of cleverness every time I got a high score at the arcade and had to type MRS and heard "MRS Who?" But it could have been worse I supposed. I could have been Aaron Stephen :lol:

I had a friend who went by Ashley. Ashley was her middle name, but she used it because she detested her first name, and her first name caused her no end of trouble.

Her first name? It was "Lady". So, imagine the first day of class in any school: "Ah, is there a Lady XXXX" here?

Coincidentally, my wife and I were talking about bad names for kids last night. I can't repeat some of the names, but I can repeat the name of one of her coworkers' friends: "Exa Marme Grubb" (a girl, no less). :blink:

Ron

For some odd reason, i get some funny looks from my first two munchkins names, my daughter is Nola Gale, everyone thinks i said Noah when then hear her first name. My eldest son is Atlas David. Most people i know think it's cool, but my mother in law said i was so stupid for naming him that. My third got a completely normal name of Alex. I wanted names that were going to be hard to twist around into jokes, and I think I accomplished that mission. Until the courts legally changed my name after my adoption, I had to live with "Kimmy Sue", but my new last name became Gibson, so I grew up being one of the "Gibbys". Hopefully when my kids get farther into school, they get cool nicknames, not cruel twists of what i chose to name them, then i would just feel awfull.

Along the lines of interesting names I've heard over the years, Rick Rickson, Dick Small, Crystal Methers and i knew a girl named Reality, middle name dawns.

My initials are MRS. My dad thought it would be interesting since I would always be MR Shetler. When I was older, I pointed out how I would always be Mr. Shetler and cursed him for his lack of cleverness every time I got a high score at the arcade and had to type MRS and heard "MRS Who?" But it could have been worse I supposed. I could have been Aaron Stephen :lol:

The video games in the game room at the pool featured these three sets of initials prominantly:

EMS (emergency medical services, my brother's initials)

MRT (A-team member, my brother's friend or his dad if it was the pinball machine)

FDS (feminine deodorant spray, my dad's initials... he does not own anything monogrammed)

My grandma on my mom's side delighted in spelling words with her kids initials.. SKY (Mom), DAY (my aunt), and MEW (My uncle who narrowly escaped MAY, grandpa Marion put his foot down).

My daughter's initials are EMS, which happens to be the name of a local Outdoor Sports chain (Eastern Mountain Sports). We didn't do it with the intention, but since we are also avid hikers and campers, Erin can have all her gear, if chooses, monogrammed for free :lol:

just remembered a co-worker's name, last name Green (normal), first name was Forest ummmm can you say his mom & dad followed Jerry & the guys around in a brightly colored van back in the 60s???

Also a friend from High School last name was Sargent (yah we know where this one is going) his first name was David (thou we called him Dave), but his dad joined the army back like Vietnam or maybe even WW2 (his parents were pretty darn old, even thou he is the same age as me (34), but his dad got all kinds of flack for that one, Pvt Sargent come here or even when he made higher rank, Sgt Sargent.

Couple other friends from HS, had not so ordinary names as well Nau (pron- Now) & Van Camp (name wouldn't have been so bad but his full name was Leroy Van Camp III, so yah), friend with the name Nau, got into it with a teacher who kept saying Ok Nau, are you gonna come here now, how about now, Nau.

Seeing the other names, I just recalled I went to school with a Brian Adams & a Micheal Jackson as well. & yes this was the 80s-90s era as well.

thou the oddest name had to have been Duel Lott (WTH is up with that & yes that is his legal name).

I've always like Eowyn (like from LOTR), it just has a nice sound to it, even if it a fantasy style name.

RM

I still, to this day, have problems with my first name. I despise my middle name (sorry EB).

The main joke I get, even now:

"Marsha! Marsha! Marsha!" --- I am NOT a member of the Brady Bunch! If you use this joke on me, expect me to walk away without talking to you.

My name is NOT pronounced "Marsha."

It's Marcia. As in (Jerry) Garcia, but change the G to an M.

So, when naming a child, look at the spelling and *think* "if a stranger saw this, how would they pronounce it? You might even try writing it down and showing it to co-workers beforehand to see if there are different pronunciations.

We went simple because I really didn't want my children to suffer. They have family significance, are simple, and even the shortened versions of the names (Tom and Mike) are simple and straightforward. I think, though, I'll let them decide if they want to use the shortened versions. I'm not calling the baby "Mikey."

When we were pregnant, my choices for names were either Kaylee (for a girl) or Lycurgus (for a boy). FOrtunately, we had a girl...

My first name is Damon. For those who know their greek, will know this is a Greek name. Alternate spelling (and pronunciation) is Damian. What do you think I always get called...?

In all seriousness, I AM thinking about giving my next kid (if it is a boy) a strong Greek name, and start some sort of tradition...

Damon.