Sign in to follow this  
haldir

lighting setup for pic taking at Walmart

Hey guys

Yesterday I was at the Almighty W & seen in the camera/film section they had a light photo booth setup for around 40 bucks or so. It consisted of a fabric light box, a couple of backgrounds (depending on your subject), a mini tripod for your camera & 2 photo lights (look like flashlights but the cone angles toward the box). Maybe something else, but that is what I remember off the box.

Just curious does any know anything about this product? Is it worth the 40 dollars? On the box of course it said great for online sales & such, but we all know how good a pitch is into getting you to buy the item.

I've seen similar setups on ebay that were cheaper till you factored in shipping costs & such + this would be a local purchase (no waiting, bla bla)

any help on this would be great (next time if I don't buy it then, I'll try & get the name of the product as well)

Here it is off walmart.com (thou it was cheaper locally)

Walmart photo setup thingee

RM

I have that exact setup, got it as a gift last Christmas. I don't bother with the tripod (for whatever reason, my camera works better without). My only problem is that it only has a grey and a blue background; I find myself wanting a black one. Just look up any of my recent Show Off posts if you want to see results.

A friend of mine who does some photography for a living uses one of them. She loves it, The back ground is limited but it's not hard to purchas or make more. She says the lights alone are worth the price. Her father also uses one for photos for auto modler mags. Incidently I want one, but it's waiting til after Gen Con.

I wish I could find JUST the lights on sale somewhere. My "on the cheap" box seems to do pretty much the same thing as that one, only it costs a little less and looks every bit worth the two bucks I spent making it. :lol: I'd think extra backgrounds would be pretty easy to make.

The only thing that gives me concern about that product is that the box does not appear to be very deep (from front to back) and this might present problems when one tries to front-light a model.

One thing you may want to investigate is how much it will cost to replace the bulbs for the lamps, or even IF the bulbs can be replaced.

Otherwise it looks like a decent deal for somebody starting up their studio.

Checked mine, looks like replacing bulbs would be possible, but a bit tricky (there are screws involved), and you'd need to find the right kind...

I got that set up for my birthday last month. It is quite deep actually, barely fits on the table I usually take my pics on. I'd guess it to be around 18" deep. Now I just gotta finish some more minis...

Oh I think I'm gonna gets me one of these. Wonder how well it will work with my D200 ::P: $40 is on the cheap for photography equipment.

I have a similar one and think it's great. I take it with me to tournaments so I can take pics of people's armies. I use my own larger tripod so I don't have to use the one it comes with. The bulbs get hot so you have to turn it off occasionally. Well worth the $40. I think Mike G has one as well and used it in his photo class at ReaperCon....

Wow that IS impressive. I have seen a few of the smaller light-cubes on the internet and they generally are something like 1'X1'X1'..which would be a bit snug. Hilly's got some real fightin' room in that light box. In fact I think that design is larger than the larger of the two homemade boxes I've got.

Yep.. seems like a pretty darn good bargain.

SC

is that the Walmart one??

if so wow!!

if it is the same as Mike's photo class or similar I'll be happy as I really liked his.

also in store is the same as online (for some reason thought it was 10 dollars cheaper in store). They have 4 up there, so hopefully they'll be there if I decide to purchase one sometime.

Yeah, that's the same one you linked. The nice thing is that it folds up flat except for the pockets for the lights so you can store it easily and out of the way.

I couldn't find this in the first store I tried. Was it with the camera tripods and things?

For those that had a question about size:

light-tent.jpg

Pictured are the Warlord Hill Giant and DHL 02967 Alastriel, Elf Mage for size reference.

What are the actual dimensions? I'm looking for a tent big enough to use for garage kits as well, and most of the kits I've bought are 9-13" tall (nominal 1/6th scale).