Sign in to follow this  
haldir

lighting setup for pic taking at Walmart

I just got mine from Amazon. I like the tent, but the lights are severely underpowered. With the bulbs half an inch from the fabric, I was shooting at 1/20 at f5.6- not good for macro mode. Even if I dropped the shutter speed, I'm still not going to get anywhere near f16. My test shots got one part of the mini in focus, but the rest is out of focus. The lights are also not color balanced for daylight, and I suspect that the color of the fabric is tinting the light, because I was getting warm yellow/red highlights and cyan shadows.

I'm going to get some metal clamp lights with daylight bulbs, which should take care of the problem.

I also picked this up and found the lamps extremely inadequate. I have three lamps with 75 watt reveal bulbs that work very nicely so far though ;) I like the light tent, much easier to work with than taping tissue and/or vellum to my lamps (that makes it such a pain to change the bulbs!). ;)

/ali

I couldn't find this in the first store I tried. Was it with the camera tripods and things?

Nanite

mine was found on the on other side of the camera tripods & such, more or less with the film & such. My waldo is about done with a remodel, but it appears that is it's permanent home.....for now at least.

I did pick this up, just haven't opened it up yet.........I should ha ha

RM

I also picked this up and found the lamps extremely inadequate. I have three lamps with 75 watt reveal bulbs that work very nicely so far though ;) I like the light tent, much easier to work with than taping tissue and/or vellum to my lamps (that makes it such a pain to change the bulbs!). ;)

/ali

I bought one over the weekend. I agree about the lights they sell and I have no use for their attempt at a tripod either (I already have a real tripod)

Instead of the lights that were in the box, I'm using three lamps with the 23W "daylight" fluorescent bulbs. It gives a lot more light than the GE Reveal bulbs I used to use (1-75W and 2-40W in the same lamps). I still manually white balance before shooting.

I setup the box last night, and I'm fairly satisfied. I just ignored the supplied lights completely, like most everyone here.

The Macro mode on my camera is not the best, but it's still better then my own efforts (pictures in link):

http://darkrealmminiatures.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172

There's a big crease in the backdrop though, I'll probably print out a blue gradient to use instead.

The reflector lamps I got take 100W Reveals, and work great. I was able to rig them up to use the tripods for the lights that came with the tent, and the setup is perfect. I always hated those clamps that come with reflector lights, but the light tripods work great. Basically, I unscrewed the halogens that came with the kit, and took off the clamps from the reflector lights. All I had to do was drill out a hole in the reflector lights brackets to make it a bit bigger, and they fit perfectly.

The reflector lamps I got take 100W Reveals, and work great.

Thats what I am using too.. MY god it get hot..

I am looking to replace my 100 heat blasters with some of those new fluorescents bulbs and just do a white balance on the camera.

Edited by Kyderdog