3141: Sushanthe, Female Sea Elf

Jubilee

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

top pic. left green thing, bottom right corner on the brown dirt there is a very tiny green spot.

Wow, you guys are picky.

I thought it was a wonderful piece, I especially enjoyed the subtle variations in the skin tone.

I think I can make one suggestion for improvement. Despite the angle of the miniature, it looks like she is highlighted like a person who would be standing upright. For instance the left side of her midriff should be catching more light, and the right side should be in deeper shadow. Similarly with the left lower leg and the foot.

But overall it was a very well painted entry, deserving of all praise.

I thought it was a wonderful piece, I especially enjoyed the subtle variations in the skin tone.

I think I can make one suggestion for improvement. Despite the angle of the miniature, it looks like she is highlighted like a person who would be standing upright. For instance the left side of her midriff should be catching more light, and the right side should be in deeper shadow. Similarly with the left lower leg and the foot.

Hmm, I think you are right. It is too easy to lose sight of that when you're turning a model every which way to get to all the tough spots.. I remember trying to pay attention to light when I was doing the clothing (and the gems!), but my brain may well have gone on auto pilot while doing the flesh. Whoops!

/ali

Ali,

I like your dark-skin take on this piece, and I'm flattered that you considered it a competition-worthy model in the first place. ^_^ The subtleties of the yellows/oranges/greens work especially well in her clothing and jewelry.

Here are a few small things that I might have done differently on this otherwise beautiful scheme:

- Make the hair a more muted purple and/or incorporate the strong purple elsewhere in the figure (interior of the skirt, freehand on the skirt). Maybe add purple stripes or edges on the seaweed, so her hair functions as a form of camouflage?

- Reduce the contrast on some areas of skin, e.g. the dark shadows under her ribs and above her left knee, since those surfaces are indented only slightly.

- Add some warmth to her face -- e.g. a colored glaze (brown or orange) on the cheeks, nose, eyelids, lips, and/or ears, or use some color in the eyes themselves.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Derek

I like your dark-skin take on this piece, and I'm flattered that you considered it a competition-worthy model in the first place. ^_^ The subtleties of the yellows/oranges/greens work especially well in her clothing and jewelry.

:blush::blush:

It's one of my favorite sculpts of all time, and my favorite you've done so far. :wub:

Here are a few small things that I might have done differently on this otherwise beautiful scheme:

- Make the hair a more muted purple and/or incorporate the strong purple elsewhere in the figure (interior of the skirt, freehand on the skirt). Maybe add purple stripes or edges on the seaweed, so her hair functions as a form of camouflage?

- Reduce the contrast on some areas of skin, e.g. the dark shadows under her ribs and above her left knee, since those surfaces are indented only slightly.

- Add some warmth to her face -- e.g. a colored glaze (brown or orange) on the cheeks, nose, eyelids, lips, and/or ears, or use some color in the eyes themselves.

Thank you - they're all great suggestions. I wouldn't have come up with the idea of purple on the seaweed, but that would have been awesome! I guess I got carried away with "deepen the shadows, brighten the highlights" that people are always chanting at me. I despair of ever finding the right balance =(

I usually don't "blush" my females because I still haven't quite got the hang of a glaze that doesn't end up looking blotchy =( Unfortunately, I no longer have the figure to fiddle the paint job, or I'd totally take your advice! I'll be sure to keep this in mind when I paint the male.

Thanks!!

/ali