"The Reef", Gen Con diorama by Derek Schubert

dks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely AMAZING.

Nothing I could possibly say could totally capture what I mean when I say that this is one of the best dioramas I have ever seen - if not the best.

Great concept - great painting - great story...

The layout is spectacular - points of focus leading the eye around the scene perfectly...

Wow.

Just wow...

I can see how such a limited-palette paint job might have been missed by many attendees--perhaps it doesn't reach out and grab the casual viewer from among more colorful entries--but I can also see how it won. This is terrific work! I'm especially enamored of the rippled lighting effect.

:blink: Phenomenal......

For one, the way you portray the light affects from sunlight coming down through the water on the sand and rocks.

First thing that caught my eye.... seems to me that is very difficult to pull off convincingly.. (and shadows cast by the reef are particularly effective)

I can see how such a limited-palette paint job might have been missed by many attendees

Second thing.... again, incredible.

And the feeling portrayed in the piece is palpable... thank you for sharing this, I may never have had the opportunity to see it otherwise.

so, any chance of seeing your other award winning entry?

The GenCon Contest winners' pictures can be found on Electric Ocean (with the exception of Marike's Jade who is AWOL). A lot of really great stuff to see there. http://electricocean.com/67/index.php?name...mine&cat=17 (check the sculpting contest page for Derek's other entry).

Yes, there were a few pieces up for Best in Show, and it wasn't a sure thing him winning, but I am happy with the choice of Derek's piece, and of all our winners...and wish I could have given out two more Best In Show awards...

Congrats again, Derek, can't wait to see what everyone does for next year!