Getting a proper start in Warlord, need info.

Mark Theurer

Hello everyone,

Well, I played Warlord back when it was still very young, got to play with Ed to boot, and got to play a game or two using a custom-built army a long while ago. Now I'm wanting to build a proper army for Warlord and am shifting between the Reven and the Reptus and need some input/info/opinions from some veterans out there. My main pull towards the Reven are the giant and the beastmen. The orcs are cool and all, but they would probably be the minority in my army if I go with Reven. The Reptus have my attention just because the sculpts are just too cool. How many points are considered a small or large game? What are normal tournament point values? Anyone with tactic/troop recommendations for either Reven or Reptus would also be appreciated.

thanks,

Mark, FR

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back to Warlord!

Since you are coming back from a while ago, I would recommend starting out with a force of 500 or 750 points to get a hold of the newest game changes. The model count in an average 500 point game seems to be around 10-12 (varies per army build and faction, of course), so it's a small force that won't hit the pocket book too hard. I've seen a typical game run from 1000 to 1501 points, but truly, you can play at whatever point cost you and your opponent feel comfortable with.

I personally play Reptus: first because of the awesome sculpts, then I found out I liked how they played. They are a decently hard hitting army with a good overall Defense Value, which means they stick around longer to be able to hit again. ;) That, and River Trolls rock.

For more faction ideas, I would recommend taking a look at this forum thread:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27496

Hope this helps!

With the Reven, you have a choice of 3 lists. Since you want Beastmen and the Giant, your choice will probably be the Grand Reven. The Hill Giant is still quite powerful. One of the bigger changes is that you can now have a troop of ogres with Gurm becoming a captain and the other ogre just becoming a generic "Ogre Warrior" (proxy other DHL ogres as needed on the appropriate base). With the Grand Reven list, you have a combination of numbers and hard hitters, but troops will start evaporating pretty quickly with their lower DV's.

Goblin Skeeters are now pretty weak archers, so you may still want some Bull Orc Archers.

Another option is to go for the Noghra (Goblin) list if you want multiple Hill Giants because they become non unique. You'll really have numbers, but except for the Hill Giant and the goblin-cyclops warlord, you're numbers will fall quickly.

Official tournament values have been 1000 points, though 1501 (requiring a Warlord) is pretty popular as well.

No matter what faction you choose, I'd shoot for about 750-1000 points to start, with at least a captain, 3 melee troops, 3 reach troops, a sergeant, 3 archer types, a healer or mage, and a solo in your shopping list.

Ron

Hello everyone,

The Reptus have my attention just because the sculpts are just too cool. How many points are considered a small or large game? What are normal tournament point values? Anyone with tactic/troop recommendations for either Reven or Reptus would also be appreciated.

Mark, FR

Actually the biggest reason people play the reptus is due to the sculpts. Actually, what kind of tactics do you want to use? All factions have different kinds of tactics they excel in. If you want to run up and beat the er.... stuffing out of the other guy the Reven are best for you, overall they are a very versatile faction offering the ability to use a wide variety of offensive tactics.... almost none of which are particularly subtle in my expirience. If you want survivability the reptus are more your league, many of their units have high defence for their role, at one point this lead to them being the premier defensive faction (until they made the warriors adepts instead of grunts.) However I have heard many times that their faction specific abilities are rather weak though. The usual game size last I checked was about 750 points, though the recomended for begginers is approximatly 500 points.

If you want survivability the reptus are more your league, many of their units have high defence for their role, at one point this lead to them being the premier defensive faction (until they made the warriors adepts instead of grunts.) However I have heard many times that their faction specific abilities are rather weak though.

Not any more. Being able to reroll one Defensive Strike per Activation (aka Jade Strike) is pretty good. Aura of Jade Thorns (sacrifice a Non-Combat Action to get +2 DV vs. Defensive Strikes) is pretty good as well.

Ron

If you are thinking about playing Reven, and don't like the orcs, you'll be limiting your options quite a bit. Approximately half the models in Reven are orcs.

If you like all the Reptus, go with them. You will have much better flexibility for your army composition. And if you still want some Reven, you can always get them as a secondary army.

Depending on who you'll be playing with, I'd say start with a force of around 750 points, with 1000 points in mind for expanding. But first find out what the common game size would be for the people you would be playing with.

Both are cool, but as Mengu says, the Reven are really built around the orcs.

One thing not mentioned yet. The Reven are the only faction (other than the mercenary change of heart thing) that is able to use models from another faction as its own. The reptus River Trolls, along with Uru, are valid models in one of the Reven lists. So, if you get a few of them, you are good to go whichever army you end up playing with.

Another thing to mention. Painting issue. I have done a bit with reptus and hav done bit with reven. I am a gamer hobbyist that has trouble not trying to paint something to the best of my ability (hence a bunch of unpainted models fill my ranks). I only mention this because the Reptus, tho they are totally cool looking, are also hugely more time consuming trying to paint them and all of their detail. Or atleast they have been for me. Not sure if this has any affect on your decisions, but figured I would mention it.

One thing not mentioned yet. The Reven are the only faction (other than the mercenary change of heart thing) that is able to use models from another faction as its own. The reptus River Trolls, along with Uru, are valid models in one of the Reven lists. So, if you get a few of them, you are good to go whichever army you end up playing with.

I think that only the Tomukh (aka Bull Orc) Sublist gets the trolls.

The Reptus sculpts are pretty cool, but some are of the "hah! I'm so spread out there is no way that you're going to base me effectively" variety (which is a touch annoying on both sides). ::P:

Ron

Yeah, what Stubbdog said. By everybody's accounts I have heard, Reptii are much more challenging to paint than orcs.

Speaking from a winning-the-game point of view, Reptus lists have done very well in my area. I LOVE my orcs, but to be honest, they've not fared so well locally.

From a durability standpoint, Reptus models tend to be more fragile than Reven. Those beefy orcs are almost impossible to accidentally bend. But since you say you want to run the Giant(s), I must warn you he's a big fella and heavy too.

As for playing Warlord on a budget, the up-side to playing Reven is that you have a much larger range of models to choose from as proxies, and this includes orcs (if you still want a few) from the new Legendary Encounters line.

For what it's worth, you have narrowed your choices down to the two BADDEST (in the good sense) factions in Warlord.

I will agree with the reptus being more time consuming to paint. I have an army of reptus, and I have done an army of Reven for a friend, and after the lizards, those orcs just seem to fly by.

As far as game play, reptus are in it for the long haul. They have beastly high defense and ok offensive ability. And we get a dragon riding warlord thing. 'Nuff said.

Oh, since everyone has been giving money saving advice, to some some dough on the lizards you can proxy using some of the lizards from the DHL army packs. When I bought mine they were like 4 for twelve bucks instead of 3 for 16. Thy are also easy to paint and blen well enough (at least to my eyes) with the other lizards.

I just played the Reptus in the GENCON tourniment and they are a good army. Nice and solid infantry and some really cool supports. Some magic but not magic heavy by any strech.

They do require some thought as you tend to run a bit shy on numbers compared to other forces.

The Reven are a more "in your face" army where a lack of numbers is rarely a concern. A good mix of tough troops and walking fodder.

The Reptus sculpts are pretty cool, but some are of the "hah! I'm so spread out there is no way that you're going to base me effectively" variety (which is a touch annoying on both sides). ::P:

Yeah, because the Reven do such a great job of staying exactly in the 1" square of their base. :poke: There is a reason we call them the Army of Elbows.

Yeah, because the Reven do such a great job of staying exactly in the 1" square of their base. :poke: There is a reason we call them the Army of Elbows.

I'd rather be he army of elbows than the army of elbows, tails, armor, spears, swords, and just about everything else that sticks out 2 inches off every side of that 1" square when it comes to game play.

Oh..and Stubbs, don't forget the "army of being posed on spindly li'l legs and bits that bend when you look at 'em funny"... *cough*... darkspawn...*cough*

Almost forgot the BEST thing about Reven.

ENRAGE! Yep, where else but Hollywood does it actually pay off (at least temporarily) to lose your cool!