Sign in to follow this  
Minky

tree bark (any good techniques for a begginner)

hey guys i want to start sculpting a treeman (like an ent). the only

problem is i can't sculpt bark for my life. whenever i try it just

looks like a bunch of lines in a piece of clay/putty. im still a

somewhat new sculptor so im looking for some pretty easy techniques to sculpt it

with. any advice. i'm looking to sculpt rough bark like an ash or oak tree. i'd really like to get started so please let me

know. any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot.

I am not a sculpter but I did make a tree stump for my dragon to rest his foot on. (See Pic) I made the shape I wanted and then dragged a pin across it making bark.

My attempt

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mo...ticle&k=460

Easy technique to get started with, once you get a handle for the way your putty behaves, you can get a bit crazy. For stuff like oak that has chunky bark, I tend to use bits of stuff and embed it under a thin layer of bark (quite often brass or steel millings from my work shop). A lot of the texture though comes from the paint after the fact.

In all seriousness, about the best advice I can give is go outside and study a tree. There are lots of types of trees and lots of styles of bark. Oak trees have lots of brick like chunks, pines have longer wider plate like bark, Crate Myrdles are relatively smooth, etc...

But, dont just look at the bark, but the shape of the tree too. The style tree dictates the shape and bark and leaves and branches and everything.

The Games Workshop site has a page about making trees called Trees of Chaos or something. Some cool stuff: like a tree that had grown through the wreckage of an armored personnel carrier.

Here's a thought. Get some real tree bark or something suitably rough and some plastic wrap. Put a layer of putty on top of your basic form, lubricate it (spit, vasoline, whatever) then cover it with the plastic wrap. The use the tree bark and impress it on the greenstuff to add texture to your model.

Then peel the plastic off and you should have some nice texture for your bark.

All good suggestions, stubbdog has one of the best. there are many different textures out there. Here's a tip: the way to make it look like bark is to contrast it with an area that is not bark. pick your texture, something you can repeat with a toolmark or stamp, and then leave areas of the tree barkless, the underlying texture should be like smooth wood. that immediately gives the impression of a layered bark, and gives a depth to the bark. vary the texture round the knots etc.

you can score the lines into the "bark" and then add other tooled strips of putty, you can make it rather smooth bark with patchy rough spots. think both additive and subtractive, almost the way you do with hair.