Sign in to follow this  
Ironworker

I need a "Secret Lair"

It's early 1919. Your a German Baron fleeing from Germany with an ill-gotten fortune and a company of loyal men. You must find a place to hide out where the athorities can't find you and can continue your life of crime which is probably related to arms traffickng and smuggling.

Where do you go? How do you get there with your fortune, men, and stolen goods? How do you start up your criminal empire?

I'm looking for ideas for an NPC I'm working on.

-If out of country, either Luxembourg (close) or Andorra (between France and Spain). They will probably want to have (or had) contact with the Krupps if dealing in weapons (a lot of the machine gun ammo used by the British in WWI was actually produced in Germany by the Krupp family and sold to Britian).

-Depending on language skills, capture/ambush a patrol and use their uniforms/IDs long enough to get across the border in their transport(s) (probably a truck of some sort).

-Depends on scale of criminal activity: Countries rebuilding their militaries (quietly), gangsters, local authorities, etc.

A train.

Disguise it as a luxury service passenger train. That way you can easily explain to any pesky customs authorities why you have so many employees on board, why you're going to all sorts of random places throughout Europe and Asia, and you can easily hide the illegal goods amongst the ginormous amounts of baggage that the rich passengers bring onboard.

Make it interesting and have him flee to White Russia. Lots of adventure ideas as the character gets embroiled in the Russian Civil War. Supplies arms to the whites (and maybe the Reds too!), perhaps based out of Arkhangelsk where the occupying Allied authorites turn a blind eye to his activites (after all, they want the Reds to LOSE!). Other option would be to Finland or Sweden (both areas that had at one point close contacts with Germany)...

Damon.

Read a book years ago called the Berkit. It was about hitler escaping Germany after the war. he was being hunted by a russian special operations group.

The Catholic church had set up a underground railroad to help nazi cathloics escape germany. There were several safe houses along the way were they were clothed, fed and false Id's given and if the person was important enough, Vatican passports which gave diplamatic immunity.

Finnal destination was a port city in Italy, think Genoea? All thier loot,ect could just be shipped direct by the church to the ship for cargo. From there the vatican chartered passenger liners under thier flag to take the refugees any where in the world. Most were South Africa, Barzil, and mexico if I remember correctly.

Sounds crazy? Was based on documented records. Kinda scary stuff really.

Hope this opens up some doors for you.

Wow...i am stumped..most of my Villans don't have thta kinda problem....

a few musts:

1)stay near a source of perpetual income...he must have a way to regenerate lost equipment and upkeep his stuff

2) near a goon-factory. russian commies, starving germans, and africans wanting guns all make really good replacements or reinforcements for your lil' band of sworn rifles...

3) defensible position. if the baron knows type X attack would be used against him, he is'nt going to NOT consider that when lairing. if the PC's are those sky-pirate dudes, the train is outta the question (sorry Tann!)

my personal favorite defense is akin to Minas Morgul/Barad Dur from LotR...

*odd warpage*

It would be awesome to see Isengard lined with Krupp AA guns...with Uruk-hai sporting macheinenpistols and boot jack grenades...the occasional MG gun team and mortar team, with those frill-ridge helmets....and...and...tanks!!!! white hand TANKS!!!

88's versus helms deep...hmmm...

*warping back*

err, in any case, yeah.

or just make it fun!!! what if he had the only Truly-Gargantuan fully-armored high-altitude bomb-and-Maxim MG festooned Zeppelin of FEAR!!!!

*play villan's percusion and brass stinger, followed by steady timpany.*

see? zee UK ein doomen!

it floats, it's a lair, and it's a supreme war machine....

Airships are most certainly going to be part of the senerio. It's certainly one of the ways he will get around to do buisness. For his ultimate hidden lair I was thinking some kind of very remote and uncharted volcanic island surrounded by an extreamly difficult to navigate reaf and including a smoldering Volcano pumping out a constant cloud to help obscure the island from the air and a massive fortress/factory ala League of Extrodinary Gentlemen or Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow but the baron would also have other bases around the world. Where exactly to put his hidden island fortress is part of my delima but I like some of these other ideas for some of his other secret bases. He's certainly the kind of character who would sell arms and perhaps other services to either side in a conflict. Right now his working name is Baron Manfred Von Hidleburg because that's about as campy a name as I could come up with so far. He's pretty much a Sky Pirate himself though he's not one of the good guys. His organization's symbol is an Iron Cross with a laughing skull in the center.

Don't forget to use U-Boats in the escape plan and for future ops. They would allow your villian access to almost the entire planet, on a very stealthy platform. Captain Nemo as an arms dealer what a concept! As for the type of base your describing, Germany lost most of its colonies in the Pacific after their defeat but many of those were awarded to Japan which of course became rather sympathetic to the Germans in the years between the world wars. Perhaps your "Baron" is leasing an island from them. Not to mention the Japanese would make excellent customers for arms sales during this period.

Oh and while i'm thinking about it, a secret base in the south pacific would give your Baron easy access to the shipping lanes of the British and Dutch empires. Juicy defenseless transport ships carrying goodies for him to "pirate" for a continued income to help finance his diabolical plots! :blush:

Oh and while i'm thinking about it, a secret base in the south pacific would give your Baron easy access to the shipping lanes of the British and Dutch empires. Juicy defenseless transport ships carrying goodies for him to "pirate" for a continued income to help finance his diabolical plots! :blush:

I was considering that as well. There are lots and lots of islands and small island chains in the South Pacific that are large enough to be the kind of thing I'm looking for yet small enough and remote enough to remain hidden. I envision a final battle as an assault on the Baron's fortress perched on the side of a volcano where the goal will be dropping enough bombs to cause the Volcano to erupt and destroy the fortress like the Death Star trench run from Star Wars. I'm even considering painting up a bunch of Tri-Faulkers in black and gray to mimic Tie Fighters. Of course the explosion will also cause an earth quake that will sink the island or small island chain into the ocean. The would make the final dilemma one of evacuating the island and escaping for both the heroes and villains alike. Not very scientific but very pulpy.

Not very scientific but very pulpy.

Which is something we DO like... ::D:

honestly, serious accuracy research was not all common in american films until very recently...you can find plenty of mishmash in even more recent older american films...check out the nazi's in any Indy Jones movie...