It's OK to paint like crap...

matsumoto

• Reaper User

Yeah! I mean, if Meg can't call herself a hack, then I can't call myself a hack, and I have a Reaper t-shirt with "HACK" on the back in all caps, and was seen wearing it at Gen Con, so I had better be able to!!

--Anne the Hack :lol:

p.s. and On-topic, I will try to dig up my earliest mini that I still own when I get home tonight. ::): He was part of my Mordheim warband back in...'97?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a FAR cry from "great"----I'm more in the category of "I have a hobby that I sink way too much money into"

---but I've shared this out here before to demonstrate the possibilities for improvement....

One of the first 10...about 3-4 years ago...

dwfemale.jpg

And one a little over a year old....considering I haven't done much painting at all lately.....

sternfront.jpg

I still want to see a cubist paint a mini :poke:

I have a buddy who paints in the impressionist style. he paints it to give the impression of detail. and then he shelacks the sucker with the glossy-est sealer he can find. but he has painted minis on the table for DnD, and prepaints, and bare pewter. no grey, white or black hordes though, doesn't beleive in primer...

When I started painting minis back in the late 1700s

um, dude you're really freeking old...

My demo armies are painted. In some cases with as few colors as I can get away with. (ie: Reptus, green, primer black, brown, scorched metal) some of them I have even had time to wash, and by wash i mean dip.

My army on the other hand, has some sorta painted guys, some not painted guys, 1 or 2 un primered guys, and like maybe a dozen fully painted guys, only 1 or 3 to higher than the above mentioned Reptus standard (one is really good, but he was for a competition, and i havn'f had time to glue another one to a base, I keep meaning to).

But to be fair, I am the kind of person who will play with terrain of soda cans for grain silos, beer bottles for trees, and pizza/breadstick boxes as hills.

I paint for fun (and often to a high standard because I'm obsessive), and I play for fun, If I dont have a mini I run under the "what weapon does he have, bow, ok, this guy will work." or, "hey this guy is on the right size base"

The "Foundry" style is a highly impressionistic but very effective wargame style. It is not a style for holding the miniature five inches from your nose but it holds a great deal of form on the table top that other more smooth techniques often loose. It's kinda like you wouldn't view a wall mural two feet away or a eight inch by ten inch painting from a hundred yards.

Yeah! I mean, if Meg can't call herself a hack, then I can't call myself a hack, and I have a Reaper t-shirt with "HACK" on the back in all caps, and was seen wearing it at Gen Con, so I had better be able to!!

--Anne the Hack :lol:

p.s. and On-topic, I will try to dig up my earliest mini that I still own when I get home tonight. ::): He was part of my Mordheim warband back in...'97?

I think there are levels of Hack-dom.

I think Anne has attained the mastery of Hack-dom and is therefore a "First-rate Hack" or simply "HACK". In comparison, I consider myself to be a "Third-rate Hack" hoping to someday progress to "Second-rate Hack".

Think of it like the colored belts in martial arts. :ph34r:

Think about this, no one in the history of wargaming as opened a rule-book, looked at an epic battle unfolding between two awesomely painted armies on a studio designed table and thought to themselves, "I think I'm going to drop $500 on this game, spend 200+ hours painting stuff, another 30 or so working on terrain and hopefully I'll find someone who is willing to cut out some cardboard chits and play with me!" It's just not why people get into wargames. Wargames are expensive, time consuming, tend to have relatively weak rules, and ultimately are really only cool because you get to push around toy soldiers. If you're just playing for the "game", I can pretty well guarantee that there are cheaper, quicker and better balanced games out there to enjoy.

I call horse pucky. I have opened books, been inspired by rules, dropped the cash to get 3-4 armies, assembled same, primed same, started painting same, built terrain for same, etc - all to convince people to play the game, even with cardboard chits if need be, if only to have some alternative to WFB and 40k! (I'll concede that I am abnormal here, but every group has to have one person who tries to drag others, kicking and screaming, into trying new systems. That would be me.)

Sure, in an ideal world, everyone would have fully painted, Golden Demon-level armies, with loads of matching terrain. The reality is that I just don't have much time to paint, and if given the choice between actually getting to play a game of Warmachine, CAV or Flames of War, or sitting in my basement alone, painting figures, I'm going to take the game. Because, quite frankly, if I spend all (or almost all) of my time painting, and no time playing the game, I start to wonder why I am bothering with the whole thing.

(This thread does remind me that I need to schedule a painting demo, and a CAV demo though, so it's all good.)

Wargames are expensive, time consuming, tend to have relatively weak rules, and ultimately are really only cool because you get to push around toy soldiers. If you're just playing for the "game", I can pretty well guarantee that there are cheaper, quicker and better balanced games out there to enjoy.

I was just going to leave this thread alone and move on with my "I enjoy the game" lifestyle.

This however, I just can't leave alone but I'll keep it simple.

"WOW! You must be joking!"