joshuaslater

The Big Book of Reaper Painting

'Just having Anne chime in and say it's down the road, I don't care how long I have to wait. I know it'll be done right. I expect a certain level of quality from Reaper, and glad to hear it ain't being rushed.

I'll definitely buy it when it comes out! I'll pre-order, even! I'm glad to hear a book is in the works, even if it will take a bit to get done.

$50 is too expensive. I paid $30 for Darkson and $25x3 for the Euro Modelismos. There's a bunch of painting books on Amazon that are cheap too (Osprey, Andrea, & lesser knowns). The saturated market is probably another reason it's not a high priority for Reaper. Then there's the free tutorials online. Large PDFs suck.

Spiral bound book with laminated pages wins! Hard bound books are tough to use without breaking the spine. Even soft covers flop closed. Spiral works for cook books. (The good kind of spiral, not the cheap kind that unspools.)

The painting hobby is losing numbers, and the new generation is nuts about card games and pre-paints, when they're not playing video games. Not sure a book will turn it around at this point.

I'd spend $100 on a painting book by Anne.

My painting has improved ten-fold since I have become part of the Reaper community.

I have the Citadel painting book and I think it stinks! It's nothing but a collection of short blurbs that I find very unhelpful.

I'm 250% all about a painting book from Reaper by Anne.

Spiral bound rocks!! The quality kind, because this book will need to stay open at times. It could also feature the history of Reaper as a company and showcase so much over the last ten years. The book would not be something to "turn the hobby around" as such. It would be for those in the hobby, especially those that might want to pass down this art to future painters. Of course, those not into painting might buy it just to have it. How many art books do people have when they don't paint? People buy art books, especially well done art books. I'd like to see the pages of concept art, the sculpting process, the painting process, all of it. I've got art books from H.R. Giger just for inspiration, but I'm just a mini painter, and an amateur at that. I'm always drooling over the Franzetta collections and other fantasy books at the bookstore.

I'd buy it too. And spiral bound is definitely a plus. I've painted other things for years, only just recently getting into minis, but I've always loved visuals I can have at my fingertips while working. I'm also teaching my brother to paint minis as I learn and he has a major learning disability that visuals help a lot, especially something he can look at and see by pictures instead of reading. I try to print off tutorials I think would help him but that's a lot of ink!

I also collect art books and reference material/books so there's definitely space on my shelves for a book from Reaper.

Online tutorials are great, and I've used them to a degree. Would I avoid the voluminous tome of Reaper painting magic for the occasional tutorials I can get online for free with some searching? That'd be a NO.

We looked into spiral bound and laminated a while back, and unfortunately it pretty much doubles the cover price. I would rather keep the book at a $30-$35 price point then a $60-$70 price point.

Re: I should have just said "SOON"--you know me by now, guys, why say it in one word when you can use fifty? :lol:

--Anne ::):

I'd gladly pay thirty or forty bucks for a Reaper painting book, spiral-bound, hardcover or otherwise - If you really wanted to, you could always (and this may be the only time in history that I recommend defacing a book) slice out the pages, laminate them and punch a few holes so you can put them in a binder... First thing I did when I got the Darkson painting guide was to fire up the skillsaw, slice off the spine, and punch a few holes through the pages. A few spare chainmail links later, I had a flipbook.

Or, we could just get Reaper to pay to have Anne cloned, so we could just have a copy shipped to our houses to teach us in person....

Spiral bound rocks!! The quality kind, because this book will need to stay open at times. It could also feature the history of Reaper as a company and showcase so much over the last ten years. The book would not be something to "turn the hobby around" as such. It would be for those in the hobby, especially those that might want to pass down this art to future painters. Of course, those not into painting might buy it just to have it. How many art books do people have when they don't paint? People buy art books, especially well done art books. I'd like to see the pages of concept art, the sculpting process, the painting process, all of it. I've got art books from H.R. Giger just for inspiration, but I'm just a mini painter, and an amateur at that. I'm always drooling over the Franzetta collections and other fantasy books at the bookstore.

While I think those other sections (history, concept art, etc.) would make a cool book in themselves, I wouldn't want them in the painting guide. Chances are, we're only gonna get one crack at this painting guide, so I want it as packed full of step-by-step painting tutorials and tips/tricks as possible. I hope they don't 'waste' one page that could be devoted to painting wisdom on something (ANYTHING) else... :poke:

I would absolutely purchase this book as well. A softcover would even be an option for me, those are easy to have a place like Staples and have cut and spiral bound. And that's just a few bucks total. I think the last thing I had cut and spiraled was about 4.50 for two clear covers, and heavy cardstock back, and the heavy duty spiral.

Anyway, would love to see this in the future!!

I'm all for the book, but I'm honestly dissapointed to hear that a DVD is out of the question. Watching someone in action beats a gazillion step-by-step pictures any day. Us noobs need all the help we can get!