Sign in to follow this  
Ellindrill

Warlord mini prices

I didn't see this in the rules (wouldn't expect it to make it there), but as a general Miniature collector and game player I would suggest keeping figure prices where they are now as opposed to increasing the prices of certain figures because they are more powerful and should therefore cost more.  I know many wargame companies do this and I know it causes many miniature hobbiests and even several players to look elswhere for miniatures.  Just a comment thanks. :down:

Hey Ellendrill! Welcome aboard!

As an enthusiastic Reaper consumer and playtester, it has been my experience that Reaper bases it's prices on metal content more than anything else. In the old DHA game (which I played and enjoyed) the biggest, baddest character costs no more than the least dangerous figure of the same size.

Warlord figures seem to be priced in much the  same way. A big Lupine is going to cost more than a smaaler orc, but for example, Justicar Ironraven(a captain) costs $3.99, the same as Grundo Hordetaker(a sergeant). Razig, the Undead Pirate Warlord(and a metal masterpice) is only $3.99.

As stated elsewhere, most 1000-1500 point Warlord companies will come in at about $50.00. That's a bargain in my book :D

The all metal Warlord bases add a bit to the cost but my package of beastman troops still came out to three bucks each which is very good.  With "Character" models at five dollars I'd say they are doing a far site better than other companies out there.  What do you think GW or Wizards would charge for a Lupine Lord?

I really like the metal bases and hope they stay with them.  I know last year when I picked up IronRaven, he has a plastic base.  It looks ok, but he's not as stable.

Now as for "Character" figs being $6, I think you are a bit mistaken.  Most of the "Character" or Hero type models are in the $4 range.  FIgures like Ashkrypt, Iron Raven, Eredain, etc. are all Leader or Elite type models.  The Lupine Rager is in fact a Grunt model.  It's not based on what is a Character or how it fits in the game, price seems soley based on the size of the figure.

Just my 2 coppers worth, but I noticed that the Dwarf King, a fairly small figure, priced at $5.99 at the local store. Maybe a mistake, but maybe not. If so, someone needs to put some of the stores in check for price gouging. I mean, it IS an exceptional piece, but $5.99 in no way reflects the metal content.

Speaking as someone who's been buying minis entirly too long in his life, I do like that Reaper bases the cost on weight of metal, as opposed to 'these are five really cool models in our game, let's chuck them out at $50/box!'.

Personally, it's absurd and silly business practice. Unfortunatly That Other Mini Company that does it doesn't care, and doesn't need to. They have their consumer base, and that's all they care about.

--LSH

There's a bit more to a figure's price than just raw "weight of the metal" (just like there's more to the price of a hamburger than the cost of ground beef per pound at the store) but the principle is most certainly correct... we charge based on how much we have to put into the figure to get it out to our ravenous fans.

Because of that, when our costs go up (boo hiss) so does the price of the figure (grr anger). Also we're faaaar from perfect (shock gasp) and sometimes we price a figure lower than it should be just because of little errors that pop in from various sources (blame Ron... just kidding Ron) ... pretty painful at the end of the year when you realize the mistake.   :down:  So please be merciful if you ever notice a price increase on a figure, it's not because we're trying to gouge you guys, it's because we really needed to raise the price.

We don't charge based on the "collectability" or "game stats" of a figure. Nor do we have any plans to ever do that. The prices yall pay will always reflect our costs to produce, stats and collectability don't play into it. Maybe that's a novel idea in this day and age and is indicative of our cro-magnon gamer roots but hey, that's Reaper.  :p

... as opposed to increasing the prices of certain figures because they are more powerful and should therefore cost more.  I know many wargame companies do this and I know it causes many miniature hobbiests and even several players to look elswhere for miniatures.  Just a comment thanks.

And here another comment...

Just outright say "Games Workshop." See, no harm there. When prices do go up, more than likely it's due to inflation, cost of living, etc. When I first started buying DHL miniatures 3 to 4 years ago, the typical blister costed $2.00. Now, it's $3.00, and that's stilll reasonable IMO.

In the end, we are paying more for those special characters.

If the price to produce a figure is not met by the sales of said figure then it was made at a loss. For Reaper not to close, they would have had to make enough profit on the goon miniatures to take that loss.

Reapers just decided to make it their responsibility to pay for poor selling miniatures, instead of the consumers.

It also helps that this philosophy makes people more likely to purchase the rare miniatures from a collecting stand point. Where as pricing rare miniatures higher makes people less likely to buy them for the fun of it.

Just like free tech support isn't free.