Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lorderl

The Dead of Knight

Recommended Posts

Darius hears some dreadful music coming from somewhere and looks around for a moment. He decides it is just his imagination, and goes back to keeping watch while Rothgar climbs the ladder. His eyes fall on the crate that the dwarf has just vacated, stay there for a moment, then move about the room. It isn't long before his eyes are drawn back to it, however. It is as if something is in the crate that calls to him. He moves closer to it and begins examining it, once more oblivious to his surroundings. He doesn't touch it, however. His mind isn't so far gone as to forget Rothgar's warning about the trap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Took ya long enuff.", Kurith grumbles as she peers down into the room below to see Darius' familiar face. From the hallway, Kurith hears a crashing sound that she knows to mean more trouble coming. Not wanting to wait and see what the trouble will be, Kurith lays her axe on the floor beside the opening, climbs down the ladder, and then reaches up through the opening and retrieves her axe.

 

"They're up there too..don't know how many.", Kurith starts, then pauses to recall. "I killed three, but not 'fore one of 'em got a good piece of me." Kurith shows Rothgar the wound in her shoulder, which still itches slightly.

 

"I drunk some healin' potion for it, but somethin's not right. It tasteses diff'rent...an' it was hot."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not thrilled with the prospect of being crammed back into the tiny secret chamber with even more people, Tempest is even less thrilled to face whatever might still be roaming this level of the inn without any support. Grunting with some effort, she drags Eligos' body over to the hole, and calls down, "does someone want to help me with him?" She periodically glances at the doorway, keeping watch until she can descend the ladder as well.

 

~v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being that the ceiling is so low, and being that Kurith is rather tall, though not as tall as most half-orcs, she merely has to stand on tiptoes beneath the trapdoor to be able to actually see the floor above at eye-level.

 

"Give 'im here.", she tells Tempest as she pokes her head back up through the hole in the floor like some sort of strange burrowing animal. "He ain't so heavy."

 

Though the fog still lingers, Kurith's hands quickly find one of Eligos' knees. After that, finding his waistline is easy enough. Being careful not to pull him completely over the brink of the hole, Kurith pulls his lower legs in first so that his feet dangle down into the lower room.

 

"Sit him up so's I can get him under his arms.", Kurith calls up to Tempest.

 

While she waits for Tempest to comply, she turns toward those in the lower room and speaks to Rothgar.

 

"So... where'd you come from, dwarf?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rothgar waits behind in Thor's bedroom while the others retreat to the secret room to guard their exit and scout the location. Noticing the noise of more creatures outside and realizing the bedroom door has been destroyed, he grows concerned with the relative safety of their position, wondering if the other rooms in this hall were cleared. Grabbing a lamp off the nightstand to provide light in the secret room for those that lack his acute vision, Rothgar descends the ladder.

 

Climbing down the ladder, lamp in one hand, he winces noticably from the wounds he has suffered as the climb taxes his strength.

 

"It'll be dark in here once we close the hatch, I figure this will help the rest of you to see a little better."

 

Rothgar reaches up and closes the hatch to the trap door, blanketing the room in darkness until he gets the lamp lit.

 

Rothgar turns to the halforc and grins, his gore spattered visage and armor at sharp contrast to his comments.

"That has been a question scholars have debated for centuries. My people believe that the Soulfather forged us in his image and breathed life into our souls, nurturing us as one would an ember allowing it to grow into the fire of hearth or smithy."

 

"More recently, I came from the taproom where I dispatched a couple of rotting hobgoblins and the banquet room here where I helped your friend Darius dispatch a skeletal goblin. Why am I here? Well, the Irongullets and I have been as kin for decades. Whenever I come to Waterdeep, I stay here. And now, given what has happened here, I plan to wreck vengence on those who have stained this hearth with the blood of my friends and family. We need to see if either of the brothers has survived this night because they will be able to provide us with any material possessions that might help. I've a ledger that accounts for all the items in here. Seems some of the items are missing. As much a I would love to treat this room as a store, these belong to those I count as kin. They and I would appreciate it if we only took what we needed. If they have survived, I am certain they would not skimp on a reward for helping them."

 

"I noticed the bedroom door was destroyed. Did you search and clear the other rooms for survivors and/or more creatures or did you just hole up in Thor's bedroom? If the door up above was fairly secure, as it is here, I would have suggested we hole up here for the night to recover. If we plan to stay here though it seems we will be rather crowded. We should really find another place unless you intend to move on. Before we leave, I intend to search the inn to make sure we can help any other survivors, if there are any. My heart tells me otherwise, but at the least, I can make sure none are left to those abominations."

 

Rothgar points to the locked crate.

 

"Those are unknown contents. Unknown because the brothers felt it unwise to even make note of what is in there. And apparently dangerous enough for them to leave a substantial surprise for whomever opens them, without permission. I'd recommend not touching. Although it does make me question if perhaps this might be what those creatures have been looking for. There is likely more information in the brothers' office."

Edited by Qwyksilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Eligos safely in the secret chamber, and Rothgar watching the doorway, Tempest finally descends into the secret room herself. After Rothgar descends and closes the trapdoor again, she listens to his story and queries. She studies his face, recalling that she saw him fall to the fog when she first entered the tavern. When he finishes, she responds.

 

"We were in the process of clearing the upper floor when Eligos," Tempest gestures to the prone and unconscious tiefling, "collapsed in the hallway while we were dealing with several undead." Tempest frowns, considering the puzzling string of events that lead to the tiefling's current state, again trying to make sense of them. Refocusing on Rothgar, she adds, "we dealt with those, and with no further immediate threats, brought Eligos back to the bedroom to regroup and see if we could help him. However, his condition eludes me, and I see no immediate means of waking him."

 

Tempest pauses for a moment as Rothgar lights the lamp, the glow making the cramped quarters seem even smaller. She shifts uncomfortably before resuming, "I removed this backpack from this room." She unshoulders the 2nd bag, and continues, "and I believe Eligos may have taken this cloak." She opens the bag and removes the white cloak with the spider pattern on it. "I am unaware of anything else that has been taken," she glances meaningfully at Kurith, "but since I have no ties to these 'Irongullets' you mention, I feel little compunction is using whatever means necessary to survive this situation. If it turns out that these friends of yours are alive, I'll be glad to return anything that isn't used or destroyed by then."

 

She pauses again, and adds, "assuming, of course, that there is a substantial reward."

 

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rothgar nods at the blue skinned woman. "Thank you. I don't think, if they survive, they will begrudge any of us the means of survival. I would prefer out of respect however, that we do not treat this room as a clearance sale at Aurora's, and walk out with everything and anything we can carry."

 

"I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Eglios, all of you. This room should be secure when we leave. We can leave him here to rest. His body should not be disturbed here in the event he awakes from whatever has felled him."

 

A shudder runs up Rothgar's spine as he recalls the torment he felt at the hand of the Effluvium and he whispers a short, silent prayer to Marthammor that Eglios be spared such a painful and horrible journey, if that is what happened to him.

 

Rothgar pulls the ledger from his backpack. "Do you mind?" He asks the blue-skinned woman. "Perhaps we can see what have in here, and what other resources we have available to us, before we decide what to do next."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith listens to Rothgar's idea concering the securing of the upper floor.

 

"I'm all for it, 'soon as we all get good'n patched up."

 

Kurith looks over toward Darius, who seems to have had it much worse than herself. "What'd you do, Darius, pinch the barmaid on her arse?", Kurith chides the unfortunate ranger, then gives him her last swallow of Madame Ruth's healing draught. "Might do ya some good,... maybe."

 

 

 

"Like the lady sez, we'll give this all back wehn we're finisht with it..if the Irongullets wants it back.", Kurith says, making a wide sweeping gesture to indicate all the items in the room, but neglecting to indicate that her new axe is also included in the agreement.

 

"Hell.. may as well have at one o' them kegs while we're here, ya think?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone…

As everyone makes their way back into the hidden room Rothgar proceeds to give Thor’s bedroom a once over. Moving over to the bed he begins feeling about, then reaches over and around the head of the bed and feels a slight curve in the mattress. Lifting it slightly he procures a dagger. Would seem that Thor kept it handy and close by in the event a crisis developed during the night.

 

Rolling off the bed Rothgar comes to a halt alongside the footlocker at the foot of the bed, searching within for any hidden compartment he comes up empty, but the eager dwarf did manage to find a small pouch tucked in a corner amongst the clothes.

 

Spinning on his heels Rothgar does a 180 degree spin and winds up in front of the bookshelf against the wall by the door. While his eyes and fingers search, his ears pickup a thudding sound from somewhere further down the hallway, the young dwarf is experienced enough to recognize the sound of someone or something trying to break down a door. Rothgar searching pays off as he spots a parchment, its seal is enough to make him grab it and tuck it away.

 

Keeping and ear out for any other sounds, particularity any advancing on his position, he tumbles across the floor to where he believes he previous spotted something just beneath the wavering fog. A crate, and luckily its not locked. A quick search within reveals more clothing and a pair of bottles. Another of the crashes is heard from the hallway as he finishes up and makes his way to join the others.

 

The trapdoor is shut once everyone is inside, you all decide to prop Eligos against the corner of the stairs so that he’ll be out of the way. You begin to discuss your options to better fortify yourselves against this terror that has stuck you all in the Underdark.

 

Giving the contents on the table another look over, Kurith notes that the cloaks are not sprawled upon the table where she dumped them, in fact, the sack itself is neatly folded and even the coins are neatly restacked, although she's quite sure she spilled over a couple of the stacks when she helped herself to them earlier. Taking a step back she address Darius.

 

Upon closer inspection Darius notes that the lock on the larger crate is of better make and slightly larger than the one on the smaller crate which appears to be of average quality. Upon hearing kurith offer him her flask he thanks her but waves it away “you keeps it, looks like your needin it as well, besides I’ve a another vial of healing myself” he says even as he pulls out the vial from his potion belt, he pops the cork off and downs it right there on the spot. Beads of sweat appear on his forehead and he coughs slightly. His wounds slowly close leaving scars behind in their place. He instinctively starts to rub at the wound that closed on his face as it itches a bit.

 

Rothgar places the ledger onto the table after he and Tempest move over to it just as Kurith begins to get a bit parched. Perhaps her hesitance to just help herself to the kegs contents has to do with thinking of the trapped crate. What else in this bloody room could be trapped and what kind of person in their right mind would place a trap on a keg?

 

To everyone’s surprise, the hidden door leading into the banquet room opens once more, Kurith’s nose twitches at the faint stink of death and corruption in the air.

 

 

Before the door opens everyone can make a DC25 Listen Check to be aware of something in the banquet room and receive a single action before the door actually opens. Since Kurith already has her flask in hand she may drink it freely (no action), as she could have done so as Darius drank his potion.

 

Anyone in the 10th row (my guess only Kurith) glancing toward the banquet room will not see anything. Nothing is currently attacking.

 

Initiative!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Darius drinks his potion, Kurith goes ahead and swallows hers quickly. It still burns and tastes slightly off, but Kurith is more prepared for it this time. It heals as it ought to, and the healed wounds itch as she expected they might. Kurith moves over toward the door away from the others to take care of one particularly hard-to-get-to itchy place beneath her shirt.

 

After that, she takes another moment to examine her axe, although to her it no longer seems 'new' so much as it seems like something she had lost once a long time ago and just recently found again. 'or maybe just dreamed it a long time ago'. Grasping its handle by both hands, she manipulates the handle in a way which she herself cannot rightly explain, but which she somehow knows to do, and the single axe seperates and becomes two axes with thin blades.

 

"Hey Darius, come look at...", she starts, but hears a noise coming from the other side of the door.

 

"Hey Darius.. there's something...", she starts again, but not soon enough before the door slides open.

 

She makes ready as soon as the door begins sliding, but once it opens, she is surprised to see nothing is there. She smells it though. 'It's under the fog.' she thinks to herself.

 

She looks out into the room, scanning the surface of the fog for any tell-tale ebbs or eddies in the misty white tide that might indicate something is moving through the fog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rothgar leaps to alertness as the door swings open, Hearthfire instantly in hand and ready should the need arise. Knowing he does not have the time to ready his shield, Rothgar stuffs the ledger into his backpack and steps to the side of the door frame. Rothgar raises the ancient axe in a two handed grip above his head, ready to strike should the intruder prove to be a threat. The ancient blade of the waraxe takes on the faintest violet hue in anticipation of the coming battle.

 

[Free Action: Draw Hearthfire. Move Action: Stuff ledger in Backpack, take 5ft step to door frame. Readied Standard Action: Attack intruder if it proves to be threat.]

Edited by Qwyksilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius judges that the space is too small for him to use any of his weapons, and begins looking around for something to bash whatever is opening the door. "Hold 'em for a minute, guys! I need to find something to work with," he says to Rothgar and Kurith.

 

My kingdom for a good mace, he thinks violently as he wonders just how long any of them will survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group…

Everyone’s a little on edge with the sudden development of the secret door un-expectantly opening. You can only speculate that someone or something must have manipulated one of the levers, either from the outside or even possibly from within the room. Though the more experienced warriors of the group get a sense of Bait and Trap!

 

The air is still, and the only sound heard is a thudding from somewhere in the upper floor, but yet no attack comes. As Darius looks about the room he spots atop a small pile of four neatly folded garments a rod alongside a crossbow quarrel. Upon closer examination you can see that the iron-shod rod is oaken, blacken and weathered but looks sturdy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith takes one final look into the banquet room hoping to be able to detect any sort of movement or hear any noises that might give her a clue to what opened the door, but nothing makes itself evident to her.

 

With both axes ready, Kurith lets her impetuous nature override her sense of self-preservation. Regardless of the likelyhood that whatever opened the door is waiting in ambush right on the other side of the doorframe, Kurith takes a long step out into the room, swinging toth axes in the direction of the wall as she moves through the doorway. To her surprize and further to her puzzlement, nothing is there. She pulls her swing just in time to avoid destroying the door-opening mechanism which Tempest had discovered and which had carelessly been left to remain unconcealed.

 

But there are more important things for Kurith to worry about than the hatch. Beyond the main tavern room she sees a foul creature which appears more or less humanoid. It has mottled decaying flesh drawn tight across clearly visible bones. It is mostly hairless and has a carnivore’s sharp teeth. Its eyes burn like hot coals in their sunken sockets. Once it sees that it has been seen it moves off to her left out of view.

 

She thinks it might be a ghoul, but she is not certain of it. Undeads all smell alike.

 

Kurith is sure that the ghoul or whatever it is was not the one who opened the door, for it would not have had time to shamble away that quickly.

 

"Ain't nothin' out here!", Kurith tells the others, though she herself does not quite believe that to be true. Her eyes dart back and forth as if she still expects a goblin to leap up from the fog and plunge a dagger into her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...