Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lorderl

The Dead of Knight

Recommended Posts

Group…

Kurith stands in silence after she has informed the others of her findings in the banquet room, even the thudding that was resonating from the above floor has temporarily halted. It is the silence from the hidden room which her associates reside in that is perhaps the most disturbing of all. Surely her findings warranted some response from one of the others, or do they like most others she come to know think of her as a meat shield, an item that is easily discarded once it no longer has a use of purpose. Though Rothgar has moved up to take her position in the hidden room he does not say a word.

 

Other than the creature she’d just seen there is no movement about that she can discern, but her instinct tell her to be cautious. The shifting wavering fog her only companion as it moves about her legs. The corpses of the others that had attended Thor’s little meeting still remained slumped on the floor where last she seen them, it would seem none of the others were fortunate enough to overcome the experience. This small group was all that manage to make it though, though whatever this may be called.

 

The others of the group remain within the hidden room, either unsure or undecided on their respective next course of action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That'll do nicely, Darius thinks as he spies the rod. He grabs it, and notes how solidly it is built, and pictures it bashing in a skeleton goblin's head. this image brings a savage grin to his face, and his eyes glitter darkly.

 

"Well, if you don't see anything, what the @#!& opened the goddam door?" he says to Kurith as he steps out into the other room to stand beside her. "A ghost, maybe?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rothgar grins fiercely at Kurith's ferocity but remains a little wary given her impulsive nature, knowing it may lead to more trouble down the trail. Knowing Darius and Kurith are already in the banquet room, he realizes he has a moment to better ready himself. Rothgar pulls a vial off his belt and slugs it down, feeling virtually no effect. "Bloody rubbish," Rothgar mutters under his breath. In disgust he throws the vial into a corner as he straps his shield to his wrist and takes his waraxe in hand once again.

 

Rothgar turns to Tempest. "Looks like we're not going to have much time to go through any of that. Stuff what you can in that backpack, from the ledger it looks like it will likely hold far more than it appears. We can sort through things when we don't have boogey men knocking on our door. Sounds like company is coming. I'll mind our retreat and lock this place up. Once it's closed up, your friend should be safe in here should he recover."

 

To the rest of the group. "Mind your step when you leave, there are a couple of piles of twice dead hobgoblin right by the door and the footing is cluttered with other bodies, chairs, etc. The exit to the street was smashed open, so there's no telling what's in that hallway and outside."

 

[Free action: Retrieve potion from belt. Exchange grip on Waraxe. Dialogue. Move Action: Ready Shield. Standard Action: Waste a CLW potion getting only 2 friggen HP back.]

Edited by Qwyksilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Ghosts don't need doors.", Kurith tells Darius, her voice sounding authoritative on the subject but her eyes indicating uncertainty. They keep shifting from the entrance of the banquet room to the hidden doorway as she fidgets with the hatch that is meant to conceal the door's trigger. She is extra cautious in closing the hatch, having witnessed the effects of the boobytrap Tempest sprung opening it.

 

"I heard of magic rings that make ya so ya can't be seen. Maybe one of 'em..."

 

Kurith closes the hatch, or at least hopes that she has.

 

"...Even if can't nobody see ya, ya still gotta open the door."

 

Kurith readies her axes and hopes somebody else has a better plan than hers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As he hears her fumbling at the catch for the door in the banquet hall, Rothgar comments to Kurith. "Don't worry too much about that, I can make sure the room was sealed up as tight as it was before we all entered it. Provided we don't have sudden company that requires our undivided attention."

Edited by Qwyksilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group…

The hatch slides down shut and fades away into the wall as if it had never been. The knot on the wall is the only significant noteworthy thing remaining to mark the hatch’s location.

 

Then appearing from Kurith’s left, (further down the column) another of the undead appears (C4) in the main tavern room near the end of the bar or perhaps it’s the same one she spotted moments earlier, but there is no real way of telling for sure. It moved easily enough in an animal fashion and is now squatted with its arms hanging between its legs. It raises an arm with its index finger extended in Kurith’s direction, then speaks in a raspy voice.

 

“you’ve found, give to me…”. Whatever its meaning, its clear that this is not a request.

 

Ghoul.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Ghosts don't need doors.", Kurith tells Darius, her voice sounding authoritative on the subject but her eyes indicating uncertainty. They keep shifting from the entrance of the banquet room to the hidden doorway as she fidgets with the hatch that is meant to conceal the door's trigger. She is extra cautious in closing the hatch, having witnessed the effects of the boobytrap Tempest sprung opening it.

 

"I heard of magic rings that make ya so ya can't be seen. Maybe one of 'em..."

 

Kurith closes the hatch, or at least hopes that she has.

 

"...Even if can't nobody see ya, ya still gotta open the door."

 

Kurith readies her axes and hopes somebody else has a better plan than hers.

 

 

"Aye, ya got a point there, Lady Kurith. I'll remember that next time I....." The ranger trails off as he sees the creature appear out of the gloom. It speaks, but its words are lost on Darius. All he can think of is what happened the last time he faced one of its ilk.

 

Notaghoulnotaghoulnotaghoul!!! Oh! Sweet Silvanus! Oakfather! Forest Father! Treefather! Protect us with your wisdom, and your Great Mallet! is what goes through his undermind, as his abovemind fires messages to his mouth, larynx, and tongue to shout "GHOULLLL!!!!"

 

[All actions: Panic! (and pray)]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith hears the panic in Darius' voice and is somewhat surprised by it. She had never actually faced a ghoul herself, but had heard stories. For the most part she had believed those stories to be not much more than that--stories told by drunks trying to best one another's tales of conquest. But this was not a time for drinking and telling tales. Anything bad enough to make Darius lose his water was plenty bad enough to worry Kurith.

 

"COME ON AN' GET IT!", Kurith taunts the ghoul though she is pretty scared herself. If there is one thing she has learned in her career as a warrior and thug, it is that bold talk may not keep you alive, but it will make those around you less willing to run away and look like cowards.

 

She steps back closer to the door, fully prepared to yank Darius by the shirt-collar into the secret room if he has indeed frozen with panic as she thinks he has. She has her axes ready in case the ghoul feels bold enough to actually try to take them from her.

 

She cuts a quick glare over to Rothgar. "Dammit, I wanna die standin' up.. KNow any other way outta here?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing the cry of "ghoul" from Darius, Tempest again reaches for her bandoleer, once more pulling forth the runed silver-tipped ash wand, making herself ready to move forward once Rothgar clears the way. At least there's more of us now, she considers, as their respite is cut short once more by the undead crawling the tavern. And at least it seems, she thinks with some relief, that they did not find what they were searching for.

 

~v

 

[Move equivalent action: draw 3rd level Wand of Magic Missiles from the bandoleer. Standard action: (if necessary) ready action to take 5' step to the space currently occupied by Rothgar (B10), peer around the corner, and use Wand on the ghoul.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As he catches a glimpse of the foul creature, Rothgar tightens the grip on his waraxe and thunders out of the secret room, moving past Kurith and Darius in the meeting room. As soon as he enters the meeting room, he is instantly struck by the stink of death in far worse concentrations than the bodies on the floor would have caused in such short time. The rotten stench mmediately alerts him to the increased threat of this opponent. "Ware his bite and claws, this is worse than a mere ghoul. This one might have half a brain in it's rotten skull!" he calls back to his comrades. "Watch the other exit these things like to work in groups!" Undaunted by the stench or the threat, Rothgar moves towards the main taproom.

 

"We got what you want?" Rothgar snarls at the ghast. "Then come get it!" he roars.

 

Rothgar bangs his waraxe against his shield and readies to battle the ghast, as a dull violet glow starts to creep along the blade of the axe in anticipation of battle. As he approaches the threshhold to the taproom he catches another humanoid shape crouched in the mists just at the side of the bar which causes him to pause.

 

The ghast bares its fangs as Rothgar momentarily halts and hisses, it's voice full of malice. "Gotz you wantz too." The mists shift to reveal a limp dwarven form clutched in one claw. The mists prevent Rothgar from identifying the dwarf the Ghast holds, but the Ghast's manner of speaking tells Rothgar it has to be one of the Irongullet brothers.

 

Wary of the form in the shadows to his left, Rothgar crosses the threshhold of the meeting room and enters the taproom.

 

From the shadows a pair of Ghouls spring at Rothgar, one to either side. Knowing something was to his left, Rothgar was able to get his shield into position and the Ghoul slams face first into his readied shield, it's fangs sliding across the Mithril harmlessly. Unaware of the threat to his right, and knocked off balance from the first attack, another Ghoul lunges under Rothgar's guard and bites into his thigh. Rothgar screams in agony as the ghoul pulls out a small hunk of flesh. "Ambush!" he screams through clenched teeth. Almost instantly, the wound begins to burn and Rothgar begins to know true fear.

 

No longer worried about tactics, but merely of survival, Rothgar swings with all his might down at the exposed skull of the ghoul which just tasted his flesh. At the last second the creature's instincts warn it of the danger and Rothgar's axe slams into the floor just missing the ghoul with what would surely have been a fatal blow.

 

So caught up in his immediate peril, Rothgar fails to note the Ghast letting the limp form of the dwarf thud to the floor as it springs towards him. Just before the Ghast's fangs sink into his shoulder it hisses loudly "Killz them!" Again Rothgar cries out in pain as blood begins to pour freely from his neck.

 

 

[Free Action: Identifying ghast and alerting party to ambush, multiple incidents of crying out in pain. Move Action: Move to B7 (passing through friendly space), halted by attack from ghouls. Rothgar remains at C7. Standard Action: Power attack vs ghoul at B7. Nominate Ghast for Dodge bonus. Various and sundry saving throws. Failed one save vs Ghoul Fever though :down:

Edited by Qwyksilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Rothgar vacates the area in front of the secret door, Tempest steps forward, and peers around the corner. Brandishing the wand, she calls out "fulmine!" Once more, two brilliant shards of white-hot light streak from the tip of the wand, impacting the creature to Rothgar's right.

 

~v

 

 

[Readied action: use Wand of Magic Missiles for (2d4+= 7+2=9) points of damage]

 

Edited by Shakandara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group…

Upon seeing the undead creature in the main taproom, Rothgar’s desire to avenge his kin must have overwhelmed him as he strode past Kurith. Ignoring her words completely he moved forward prepared to dispense vengeance on the abomination that would dare sully his adopted home and whom he believes is partly responsible for the tragedy of the evening events. Disregarding his own sensibility and experience of past battles he takes the Ghast bait and trudges directly into a trap! The battle ensues and fresh blood is spilled and it taints the air. The screams of agony from their dwarven companion is evident enough to anyone observing and able to witness the squirts of red pellets springing forth to splatter upon the doorframe and onto the fog covered floor that Rothgar is in dire need of help, or there may soon yet be one more dwarf littering the floor of the Underdark!

 

Rothgar eyes grow wide with the knowledge of what the bites he has endured could well spell out for him in the coming days, for he has seen its effects with his very own eyes. His only satisfaction is the sudden shriek from the ghoul to his left, which with a quick daring glance he sees that it has been struck, and from the looks of its poor condition and a pair of welts, one to the head and the other to the chest, that magic was involved to bring it to the state which it is now in.

 

But Rothgar attention lingers not, for he has more pressing matters at hand! If that wounded creature were his only adversary then he would soon find himself amongst some basic comforts and smoking a pipe. But his troubles are triple-fold and his wounds are grave! He focuses his attention and prepares for the next series of attacks that are sure to assault him, and he hopes that the others will come to their wits to aid him in what may be his final hour!

 

“Killz them” the Ghast repeats as its lurches to bite Rothgar again but its attack fails as the dwarf is prepare for its attack this time. The two ghouls each assaults Rothgar. The one to his right tries to bite again, but this time it feels more assured of itself and decides to go for the arm, but misses. The Ghoul to Rothgar’s left having recovered from Tempest magical battering sees an opening as the dwarf avoids its counterpart. It strikes a moment to late as the window for which to get a clear attack quickly vanished as Rothgar wisely used the large kegs to shield himself from its two slashing claws.

 

While the two ghouls attacked, the ghast in a low tone spoke “magic itemz we needz, Strix’s wants!” DC10 Listen Check for Kurith and Darius, DC12 for Tempest. Then the Ghast spoke up louder and added “Killz them!”

 

 

Tempest DC25 Knowledge Arcana Check if she made the DC12 Listen Check

The name Strix stirs something from the back of your mind, it’s the name of a Vampire Queen!, more info to come if you made the roll

Read on Successful check or Spoiler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Satisfied with the effect the first blast from the wand on the ghoul, she prepares to bring it to bear on it once more when she hears the ghast whisper to the ghouls flanking Rothgar. She stops short, and her eyes widen. For the first time, she is concerned about her ability to survive the evening. Nonetheless, she refocuses herself on the task at hand. Deal with what is in front of you, then worry about Strix, she calms herself. She watches as Rothgar tears into the ghouls with unbridled fury. Perhaps things are not as bad as they seem. Leveling the wand at the undead again, she once more releases its arcane energy in the form of two pure white shards of light, hoping that it is enough to end the conflict.

 

~v

 

 

[Listen check: 1d20+4=9+4=13, Arcane Knowledge check: 1d20+11=16+11=27. Standard action: use 3rd level Wand of Magic Missiles for 2d4+2=4+4=6 points of damage, targeting the ghast.]

 

Edited by Shakandara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius shrinks back into the secret room, shouting "GHOUL!! GHOUL!! GHOUL!!"

 

He backs away until he hits the other wall, then slides down it. He sits with his knees up and his arms around them, hands clasping his newly found rod in a death grip. His voice dies down, and his shouts are no longer heard, but still he mouths the word Ghoul over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...