Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lorderl

The Dead of Knight

Recommended Posts

"Partners?", Kurith asks Darius, grinning ruefully. "I used'ta have a partner.. till I broke both his legs.". She manages at least a few seconds of straight-faced stoicism before cracking a fangy smile.

 

While Rothgar continues to examine the crate, Kurith unslings her axe, rights one of the broken chairs and sits down at what she calculates to be a safe distance from both the potentially boobytrapped crate and the potentially irate dwarf trying to open it.

 

She continues to talk to Darius, but all the while she is looking over her axe with the same sense of puzzlement and awe as Rothgar exibits while tinkering with the mysterious crate.

 

"What ya think's in there?", she asks, looking up from her new plaything. At the moment she has it halfway between its single-axe form and it's two-axes form and it trying to figure out just what makes it hold together so seamlessly. "Wasn't nothin' else locked up like that.. so it's gotta be better'n gold or gems or even my...... OOH!"

 

Kurith triumphantly shows Darius her latest discovery. "I always wanted one like this.", she informs him as she holds up her axe, which she has reconfigured into the form of a double-axe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I really don't know, Kurith, I just have this feeling that it's something we shouldn't leave behind," Darius says to the halforc. He watches her fiddle with her new axe, and sees it change form. His eyes go wide and he whistles. "That's not just your normal axe-type axe, is it?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith nods in agreement to Darius' first statement, but in response to his latter statement she looks at the double-axe and shakes her head.

 

"Never used one b'fore...an' don't really know if I'd be good withit... but that don't mean I ain't always wanted one."

 

Kurith continues keeping one eye on Rothgar's progress with the crate lest she need to dodge any lightning, flying arrows, clouds of poisoned gas or bits of blown-up-Rothgar that might come flying at her as a result of his work.

 

"Ev'rybody calls this a orc-double-axe,.. but orcs call it a gagahburuk...ya know?...like Gagahburuk-Khan?". She says this as though everybody should know the legend that is associated with that name. "Maybe he was the first to have one..I dunno. I don't remember that much about 'em...but I always wanted one like it."

 

________

 

(for those who speak orc)

 

Gagahburuk is an orc-name that when translated literally means "Strongbad"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group...

Time passes as Rothgar contemplate on the best course of action to deal with the crate, and perhaps what he's getting himself into. Tempest remains in the main tavern room just outside the door, her thoughts as her own, though it would appear that something has got her thinking.

 

Both Darius and Kurith through idle conversation begin the process of getting a feel for one another, a beginning progression of familiarity that will build a strong tie between them that grows into a trust that will benefit them both as they’ll likely have to place their respective lives in the others hands at one point or another.

 

Nothing else moves in the room except the wavering fog known to some of the party members as the Effluvium. Even as it twirls about your legs you’ve tried to place it out of your minds, but its there, its always seems to be about.

 

 

Darius DC25 Spot Check (distracted by watching Rothgar) and Kurith DC20 Spot Check

as the fog wavers you note that you were able to see more of the floor than previous times, either the mist has thinned or has dissipated some, or more accurately, it has withdraw ever slightly

Read upon Successful Check or Spoiler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith looks around almost out of habit, but only sees Darius and more fog. Rothgar continues his tinkering and grumbling in the smaller secret room and the blue lady Tempest seems to have found something more interesting to occupy herself with in the main tavern hall.

 

Kurith had learned long ago not to speak too much of orcs. The topic made people uncomfortable at the very least and at the very worst, hostile. When anybody asked Kurith about her homeland, she simply told them she was from the North. If they asked her about her upbringing she would lie and say she had been raised by a black bear and a b!tch-wolf. Beyond that, people generally stopped asking questions and left her alone.

 

Darius' question about Gagahburuk-Khan actually catches her off guard, even though she herself had brought up the name in the first place. The fact that he does not raise his voice or draw his sword tells her that he is genuinely interested, and so she tells him as much as she can recall as accurately as she can recall it being told to her as a child.

 

"He's the Khan that took the Asula-Khisu from the dwa.."

 

Kurith clears her throat.

 

"He lived a long time ago. He fought with a axe like this'un an' wore a gold crown fulla gems an' junk that he took offa the head of the king of the... "

 

She pauses again and looks anxiously toward the smaller room where it seems that Rothgar has remained oblivious to Kurith's story about Gagahburuk the Dwarfslayer.

 

"Anyway... after that, the mountains was the orcs' mountains.. an' they named a axe after him...an' when he died he was two-hunnerd years old.. an' when they buried him they buried him with ten of his wives. That's 'bout all I remember."

Kurith reconfigures her axe back into its normal single-axe form and scratches at the itchy place on her leg.

 

"Ever been to the North?", she asks Darius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deciding that no one is going to listen to her regarding the crate anyway, Tempest stays clear of the room as Darius commences to electrocuting himself. She contemplates the meaning of Strix involvement in the night's events, and exactly how deeply all of this runs. She runs through her inventory of remaining spells and gear, watching as the mist seems to begin retreating.

 

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius is only half listening to Kurith as his eye is caught by the mist. "North, yeah," is all he says as he watches the mist withdraw a bit.

 

 

Spot check: 1d20(14) +11 =25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"North, yeah," is all Darius says as his eyes wander elsewhere. Kurith senses that he has only half-listened to what she has been saying, and although she had really not meant to tell him her entire life's story, she had actually believed for a moment that he was at least paying some attention.

 

She looks away from Darius and toward the smaller secret room where Rothgar is still prying on that crate. Then she looks back at Darius, folds her arms across her chest though it hurts to, and says to him in her characteristic smart-orc tone, "Yeah? Me too."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group…

“Ah, nasty little traps we have here, the one you’ve set off is resettable. Dam Thor still knows his craft even afters all these years. Its safe enough at the moment, your blades separating a contact point, your lucky to still be standing if you ask me.” Rothgar says after he SPOTS and traces where the wire leads to the contact point “I’ll leaves the lock for last, best to get the nasty outta the ways first.” He adds

 

“Hmmm…,” the words linger in the air. You see Rothgar pull out a set of thieving tools, then he moves in close to the crate with a pair of elongated metal apparatuses. He doesn’t say a word but Darius catches a glint in the dwarfs eye, and a sly grin of proud satisfaction crosses his lips.

 

“phft..” Darius hears Rothgar make a small puff sound “that was EASY'ERN than expected, guess I’m better than even what I thought.., just one morz ta go..” he says as he grabs another set of items from his kit “We’ll seez in a minutez what Thor thought was so dam bloody important that he went through so much TROUBLE to keep…”

 

Rothgar sentence is cut short as a loud hissing sound pops into the air and the room is instantly filled with a dark cloud of ash type smoke which quickly spread beyond the confines of this room and into the next room and further!

 

Kurith DC15 Reflex Save if you care to try and avoid the black smoke headed your way! Its safe to say Kurith knows she needs to get out of the current room she’s in to avoid it.

 

Tempest DC12 Reflex Save if you care to try and avoid the black smoke headed your way!

 

A failed save for either Kurith or Tempest requires the same action as Darius & Rothgar below.

 

Darius & Rothgar DC17 Fort Save

A failed save means your poisoned! It deals 1d10 points of temporary Constitution damage, also another DC18 Fort Save or Fall Unconscious, regardless whether the first save was successful. The poison has a 20ft radius, which not only does it deal damage through inhalation but also upon contact. It gets into nasal cavities and eye ducts as well. Actually because of the Effluvium, Its an additional 10ft radius as its carried/moved about.

Read regardless of result or Spoiler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius feels his eyes begin to sting as the noxious smoke billows out of the crate. Coughing and sputtering, he says to Rothgar, "I think you found something!"

 

 

 

 

Fort save 1: 1d20(12) +7 =19; pass. Fort save 2: 1d20(17) +7 =24; pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith had been keeping one eye on the secret doorway and one ear turned to Rothgar's progress the whole while she was talking to Darius. It was becoming obvious to Kurith that he was far more interested in the contents of that crate than in anything she could tell him... even if she were to tell him the sorts of things that were shocking enough to make Traug spit a whole mouthful of rye whisky all over the bar and Irenda back at Sailor's Corner three nights ago.

 

She was about to put Darius' ability to ignore her to the test when she heard the hissing.

 

"Betaghikh!", Kurith exclaims as she leaps to her feet, snatches up her axe and bolts for the door to the main drinking hall in order to get away from the black smoke that comes billowing forth from the secret room.

 

Once she is at what she believes to be a safe distance from the cloud of black smoke, she listens for voices. Soon enough she hears Darius say, "I think you found something", likely to Rothgar.

 

She waits a moment longer to see if Rothgar responds before she risks her own neck to see how the two fared their most recent peril.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reacting more on her feeling that the Irongullet's crate ought not to be messed with, Tempest retreats rapidly when Kurith comes dashing out of the conference room with black smoke billowing behind her. She calls out to Rothgar and Darius, "are you quite satisfied now? Besides, I don't think it is the crate the creatures wanted." She stays well clear of the smoke until it disappates.

 

~v

 

[Tempest Reflex save: 15+4=19, success.]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius & Rothgar…

The room quickly turns pitch black for Darius and Rothgar as the potent black smoke fills the room. “Cough.., DAM! Tho… ungh…” is all Darius hears from Rothgar before hearing a muffled “thud” of the dwarf SUCCUMBING to the black smokes effect. Whatever has happened or how injured Rothgar may be is beyond Darius ability to asset at the moment since he can’t even see his stout companion.

 

It only takes Darius a moment to realize the true danger he and Rothgar are in as he starts experiencing some stomach distress. Feeling the continued discomfort of the black smoke the ranger surmises that the longer he and Rothgar remain within this toxic cloud, the greater the chances are that neither will leave this room alive!

 

Darius DC16 Fort Save

Failure means your Nauseated, thus, you can only take a single move action. This effect, including additional Fort Saves, continues as long as you remain in the black cloud, plus 1d4+1 rounds after leaving.

Read regardless of result or Spoiler

 

Darius DC17 Fort Save

Failure means your Poisoned! It deals 1d10 points of temporary Constitution damage, Note the 2nd Fort Roll Change: Only roll another DC18 Fort Save or Fall Unconscious if This Posting Poisoned Fort Save was unsuccessful (this doesn’t apply to the previous posting rolls made, these effect/pattern continue as long as you remain in the black cloud.)

Read regardless of result or Spoiler

 

 

Tempest & Kurith…

The pair of you manage to evade the black cloud that tried to engulf you. You turn to see if your truly in the clear. You see before you a dense black wall of fog that not even those with Darkvision can see through. The cloud continues to loom ever closer and the pair of you quickly glance at one another, as in unison you take several steps backwards until you see that the black cloud has stopped advancing, it has reached the end of the bar (C5).

 

For a brief moment you hear Rothgar cry out “DAM! Tho…”, but its abruptly cut short!

 

You suspect/know that entering the black cloud will put you at risk of whatever its effects are, will you risk it? If you are to survive this experience of whatever is going on this evening, its likely a dam good bet that you'll need the help of the others.

 

Kurith & Tempest DC20 Spot Check

as the ever wavering effluvium (yet unknown to Kurith as so) shifts, you see the floor around the perimeter of the black smoke covered in what looks soot and/or ash.

Read on Successful Check or Spoiler

 

Entering Black Cloud DC17 Fort Save

Failure means your Poisoned! It deals 1d10 points of temporary Constitution damage, also another DC18 Fort Save or Fall Unconscious, regardless whether the first save was successful. The poison deals damage through inhalation but also upon contact. It gets into nasal cavities and eye ducts as well.

Read regardless of result or Spoiler

 

Additional Rounds in Black Cloud DC16 Fort Save

Failure means your Nauseated and thus, can only take a single move action. In addition, roll another DC17 Fort Save or be Poisoned! The Poison deals 1d10 points of temporary Constitution damage, Note on Next Fort Save: Only roll another DC18 Fort Save or Fall Unconscious, IF, the Poisoned Fort Save was unsuccessful, this doesn’t apply to the previous posting rolls made, these effects/pattern continue as long as you remain in the black cloud. Nauseated players remain so, plus 1d4+1 rounds after leaving the black cloud.

Read regardless of result or Spoiler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although Kurith is in no way inclined to feel obligated to be a heroine, she has a feeling that the contents of that room in general and of that crate specifically will yield the answers to the many quetions she has about the evening's events.

 

Having heard of such poison clouds before, Kurith decides the smart thing to do is to breathe as little of it as possible and keep it out of her eyes and nose. Quickly she wraps her face with a damp bar-towel which she finds lying at the end of the bar right where Toldin had likely been using it before the fog got to him.

 

She starts toward the smaller room, feeling her way to the stacks of barrels and eventually to the doorway of the smaller room. In spite of her efforts to block out the poison, she suddenly feels sick. Her head swims and her throat burns a little from the smoke. She feels weakened, but keeps going on.

 

Recalling the zombies which had attacked her and Rothgar near the doorway, Kurith is mindful of her step as she moves through the doorway. At one point her foot strikes something small and round, which she kicks aside.

 

She tries to move quickly, but being half-orc, she has never had firsthand experience at moving about in total darkness. Still she is able to recall the shape of the room and that there is a wall to the left of the door that will eventually take her to the entrance of the secret room and to Rothgar. With her left hand feeling along the wall and her right hand probing about in front of her for obstacles, she shuffles along hunched over and trying not to breathe or choke.

 

At last she finds the opening to the secret room. Recalling the location of the crate, she guesses Rothgar will be somewhere nearby. Not wanting to accidentally touch the crate and trigger more mayhem, she enters the secret room and continues feeling her way along the wall with her left hand and carefully probing the floor ahead with her feet. Soon she feels something soft and rather stationary lying in her path and she knows it is Rothgar.

 

She kneels and begins to search the recumbent dwarf's form for the best means by which to carry or drag him. Even through her improvised headwrap, she can hear Darius is conscious and moving around.

 

'HURMMMMMMMPH - URRMRRRMM HURRRMH!", Kurith shouts through the damp rags tied round her head, hoping Darius will hear her and follow her voice..or at least respond so she knows he is still able to.

 

__________

 

<OOC>

 

For the GM only

She failed her Spot check, and them bombed her first FORT Save even with the +2 you spotted her and took CON reduction. I wasn't sure whether to calculate the second FORT Save with or without the CON reduction, but in this instance she would have passed either way. As for her rate of movement, I gave her a X4 penalty for cumulative blindness and hunched-overness

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...