Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lorderl

The Dead of Knight

Recommended Posts

Kurith, her axe now drawn, surveys Darius' pulverized victim with awe.

 

Daaaaaaaaaa-aaaaamn! Don't nobody mess with Darius.", she says with a laugh as she gives the ranger a bit more space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the threat dealt with, Tempest ignores the jabbering between Darius and Kurith and moves over to Rothgar's side, checking over him. Unsure of the extent of his ailments, and for that matter, the extent of the cloud's effects, she begins softly chanting "pulire questo disordine" over and over again, directing the magic first at Rothgar's face, then on to the rest of his body.

 

~v

 

[Move action: move from A1-B3, kneel. Heal check to determine Rothgar's condition, unknown DC: 1d20+2 = 12. Standard action: cast Prestidigitation to clean Rothgar at a rate of 1 cubic foot per round, starting at his head, then moving on to herself, the others in the party, and finally as much of the area around them as possible.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing that there is no immediate threats, Kurith proceeds with hauling the corpses and bones of the various skeletons, ghouls, ghasts and zombies away from the banquet room and piling them into a corner (J1).

 

"We can board the doors up.. rest up here... heal up b'fore goin' out there", Kurith says as she goes about removing the dead enemies. "That big table'll be heavy enough. We need hammer an' nails."

 

She pauses a moment to look at what Tempest is doing with Rothgar. "He was a good fighter.... to get done in by a danm dwarf trap like he did..... ain't right." She sighs, shaking her head, and wanders off toward the as-yet-unexplored room at the other end of the bar (I7).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius drops the stool and surveys the room, looking for any other threat. Finding none, he moves to where the seemingly lifeless body of Rothgar lies upon the floor.

 

He looks down at his dwarven friend, being tended to by Tempest, and shakes his head. "I'm sorry Rothgar," he says quietly. "I should have left things as they were." He stands there in silence for a moment, then asks "Is he gone, Temest, or just unconscious?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tempest & Darius…

Looking over the fallen dwarf, Tempest can only determine that Rothgar is in a deep slumber. From her own experience when she can fell unconscious earlier she can only guess that he is now under the influence of the Effluvium. Unfortunately she does not account for the dwarf’s senses while he sleeps, for even while she begins using her magic to clean him off the Effluvium warps the experience in his mind and Rothgar finds himself in a cyclone where his flesh is being stripped from his bones bit by bit.

 

From where Darius stands he has a good perspective as the soot is removed from Rothgar. The drawf’s complexion is dull and greyish. Glancing over at Tempest while she continues using her magic, he sees that her skin color has also taken on a sickly tone. Now that much of the Effluvium exist only in patches and a thin layer along the floor, Darius looks about the tavern. One figure in particular laying on the floor near the tavern entrance catches his attention, he recognizes the attire the body is wearing, its Thor Irongullet!

 

 

Kurith…

You make your way behind the bar, laying on the floor are Bellrose, Brundha. As you enter the small hallway leading to Thor’s office you see a storage room and laying on the floor is Toldin, a small broken crate with shattered bottles of booze is spilled near him. You approach Thor’s office and there are stairs leading up to another part of the inn which you’ve yet to survey. Standing in front of Thor’s office you see that even the heavy set door finally gave way to the constant assault of the undead, the room has been ransacked, papers and broken furniture are sprawled about. From where you stand all you see are two stones resting on top of the desk. One is a fist-sized chunk of STONE and is significantly larger than the other, which is symmetrically round and looks as if it would easily fit in the palm of someone's hand.

 

the above linked picture shows two stones, there's only one like that on the table.

 

Group…

While the idea of holding up somewhere in the inn makes sense, you soon find that the table in the banquet room is far to dense to drive nails through. From the rampant destruction you’ve seen so far its likely there is no real secure room to recuperate in other than the hidden room, and now that the secret hatch has been closed it will provide the needed protection from any further wandering undead.

 

Game note: While you could use wood from the benches and tables in the main tavern room to secure a makeshift wall/door for the banquet room (so long as you guys have spikes and such) it’ll not be as secure as the hidden room. Though as I’ve already stated there will be no further attacks this night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith stands over the desk, staring at the two stones and wondering if they are ordinary stones or if they are special. At first glance she suspects they are. Having spent part of her life living in a cavern, she has a surprising appreciation for such things. Most stones are nothing more than toe-stubbers and hard lumps that always seem to be hiding just beneath the soft earth one is trying to sleep on, but other stones are different. Some are translucent and sought after by healers. Some peel and flake like leaves of paper. Some are shiny and have many corners. Some stick to iron. Some float. Some are red, or green, or blue, and fetch a high price when traded. And some are worthless, but still pretty to look at.

 

At second glance, Kurith concludes that if the two stones on Thor's desk were of any special value at all, Thor would have hidden them away ..or at least the creatures that tossed the room would have taken them. Since the larger one is too large to stuff in her pocket, Kurith takes the smaller one. She likes the thin swirl of purple on its smooth surface and how it feels in her hand.

 

Sjince the room seems to be thoroughly torn apart, Kurith feels there is little else that she herself can do to further enhance the mess. She goes to have a look at what else might still be in the storage room.

 

"Gonna tell me I can't come in, Toldin?", Kurith mocks the recumbent dwarf, who seems to have been caught unawares by the mist as he was bringing forth more libations. She carefully steps over him as she enters the room.

 

"Couldd'n hold yer booze, couldya.", Kurith mutters, though she actually sort of wishes he would answer. He wasn't so bad, as dwarves go, and he was only doing his job.

 

In her search of the storage room, Kurith is looking first and foremost for anything that seems edible or potable. While searching, she also hopes to turn up other useful stuff like table linens, unbroken bottles, unspilled booze or lamp oil, and maybe a tinder-stick or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith...

Surprisingly enough the storage room area is more or less undisturbed. Several untapped barrels, likely booze of various sorts Kurith suspects, line the western and northern wall. A few other staked crates also line the north eastern corner of the wall. All the crates have been previously open to save time for when they are needed. Everything here is labeled with Dwarven runes.

 

Looking through a few of the crates Kurith finds various types of shapes and colored bottles. Then she eyes a smaller crate in the bottom right corner of the room. Upon inspection she finds that this one is still sealed. Its fairly light and easy enough to sling under one’s arm if one so chose to.

 

 

Very nice post with Toldin btw ::D:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticing that Rothgar isn't quite dead, Darius turns his attention to the rest of the room. First, he goes to see if he can retrieve any of the arrows he shot at the goblin skeleton when he first woke up to this nightmare. That done, he pokes his head into the secret room, to assess the damage, and to see if his sword is still there. Finally, he goes over to Thor, who is lying motionless on the floor, and checks the dwarven taverkeeper out. "You look like hell, by the way, Tempest. I think we should all get some rest soon," he says to the mage as he passes her.

 

The ranger searches Thor's body and checks it for injuries, any sign of abuse from the various undead creatures that have haunted the tavern this night. He is also looking for a means to open the crate that almost killed them all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Search check (Thor's body): 1d20(18) +3 =21.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius…

Entering the banquet room to search for his arrows, Darius retrieves the arrows that missed their target as they’re embedded in the wooden walls. Though the shaft of the others are broken, the arrowheads are still useable. Moving into the hidden room his sees that the entire room is covered in black ash, and the oil lamp has been extinguish. The greatsword is still protruding from the crate with a layer of ash across the blade.

 

What was peculiar and which might have been a bit disturbing had the ranger lingered a moment longer is that he was able to make all that out with just the dim lighting coming in from the banquet room.

 

Moving to search Thor’s body Darius notes that the dwarf is relatively uninjured and his coloration is normal. A set of keys are hooked on his belt. In a belt pouch he finds several gems and several platinum coins, he also as a money belt which contains a small varying amount of gold, silver and copper coins. There is a dagger strapped to his right leg and he is wearing two rings. The ring on his left hand is gold and has an insignia which likely can be a family crest. On the right hand is a white band ring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith pauses a moment to admire the Irongullets' collection of crates, barrels and bottles. Irenda had such a supply room back at Sailors' Corner, but it was neither so large or so diversely stocked. She had a small stash of high-priced liquor which she kept under lock and key beneath the bar, but as she had once explained to Kurith, 'Thissiz just for rich mensz..not those bums.' Most patrons of Sailors' Corner did not care for quality. They wanted quantity, and the cheaper the better. The bulk of Irenda's stock came from other tavernkeepers, who wished to rid their own storerooms of the swill and sold it to Irenda at a sharp discount.

 

Kurith had learned to read most of the labels during her employment there. The so-called house port was most often from a barrel marked Vinho Barato. A few of the more liked patrons were steered toward a less brackish selection which was decanted from a bottle labelled Throckmorton House's Second Best. Once in a great while, when a deserving customer came along, Irenda would send Kurith to fetch the bottle which bore the name Varnish Remover, but those customers seldom returned for more.

 

Kurith's gaze falls upon a case of deep green bottles bearing runes which she immediately recognizes as Olaf Olafsen's Stout, a staple of Irenda's under-the-counter cache.

 

Kurith totes the case of Olaf's out to the bar and returns to the storeroom for more, at which time a small unopened crate on a lower shelf catches her attention. It is not very heavy, thus Kurith concludes it could not possibly be trapped. She takes it out to the bar and places it next to the opened case of Olaf's.

 

"Found these in back.", she says to the others proudly as she scans the shelves beneath the bar for something to pry open the smaller crate. "Found stairs too.", she adds, neglecting to mention the office or the rocks on the desk.

 

Kurith eventually locates a pry bar and goes to work on the smaller crate, though with a small degree of caution in light of the earlier disaster involving Rothgar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Aha!" Darius cries in triumph upon finding the keys. He takes them and rushes back to the hidden room, relighting the lamp before trying each one on the locked crate. If nothing else, maybe I can get Da's sword back without blowing up the place, he thinks as he runs through the ring. His heart stops for a moment when one of the keys slides in the lock. It turns. The lock clicks open.

 

He takes a quick look around before opening the crate, making sure none of the others are around, not wanting anybody else to get hurt in case there's another trap. Bracing himself to jump out of the way, he removes the lock and lifts the lid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tempest continues to direct the spell, cleaning off first Rothgar, then herself. With this completed, she sends the spell off to clean the interior of the secret room in anticipation of spending the remainder of the night there. "You aren't going to be winning any beauty pagents yourself right now," Tempest shoots back at Darius, masking her concern for her own skin's altered coloration. She walks over to the bar, pulls one of the green bottles from the case Kurith just carted out, and breaks the seal. She takes a long pull from the bottle before setting it back on the bar, wiping her mouth with her sleeve. "As soon as my magic finishes its work, we should move Rothgar into the secret room and hole up there for the night. I need to rest if we're going to have anything to do with more of Strix's minions." Picking the bottle back up, she wearily moves into the banquet room to check on the progress of her spell, especially around the offending crate.

 

~v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tempest...

After cleaning off all the ash from Rothgar, Tempest takes another look at the Dwarf. He has many scrapes and cuts, the nastiest of them being the bite on his neck from the Ghast that he faced earlier. Your sure that you saw Rothgar apply the ointment you gave him, but the wound of torn flesh is still there, only now it looks cauterized.

 

After taking a hard swig from the green liquor bottle Tempest finds that it lacks taste in any form, even the alcoholic kick from the strong drink is minimal.

 

 

Group…

While Kurith has found the drink she sought and begins working on the small crate, Darius slides the keys he got from Thor into a side pouch. Observing that his two female companions have there attention drawn elsewhere he quietly and quickly makes his way back into the hidden room. Kurith whom is accustomed to keeping an eye on others while she performs another duty makes a simply mental note of Darius departure from the main tavern while she continues to pry open the crate on top of the bar.

 

Moving into the room Darius attempt to light the oil lamp doesn’t go very well as the dam thing is choked with the black ash. He decides to leave it as he realizes that he can see well enough without it as his eyes have acutely adjusted to the increased darkness. Obviously he’s heard pf potions or magical items that have granted low-light and darkvision, but from his point of view neither one meets the criteria of what he’s experiencing now. Going through the keys he finds that one of them is quite odd in design and shape, its easy to see that it wouldn’t fit the lock before him or any normal lock for that matter.

 

The room is quiet as he sets the lock down, he listen for his companions but the only thing he hears is the rapid beating of his heart, the excitement builds as he places his hand on the crates lid. As he lifts the lid his wedged greatsword clangs to the floor, in the flash of an instant he remembers how he caught a glint in the dwarfs eye, and the sly grin of proud satisfaction that had crossed his lips, but its the words that Rothgar spoke “phft..” Darius hears Rothgar make a small puff sound “that was EASY'ERN than expected, guess I’m better than even what I thought..,” which causes his eyes to widen as the flames from a Fire Trap spell spread out around him in a fiery explosion which rings out across the entire tavern.

 

As Tempest enters the banquet room, the hidden room comes alive in a blaze of light and a wave of hot air flows pass her.

 

 

Darius DC18 Reflex /half

you take fire damage in the amount of 1d4+8 or half with successful save

Read Regardless of Result or Spoiler

 

Game note: I currently have Darius at 10hp, If he’s still conscious I’ll follow up your next post with what he or anyone else sees when they look inside the crate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith finishes prying the top off of the small crate she found. Carefully she pulls away the tow, revealing a set of six matched glass tankards. They remind her of diamonds, the facets of their finely etched surfaces catching the dim light of the Underdark and refracting it into hundreds of faint but visible rainbows. She doubts they are meant for folks like her to be drinking from.

 

Tempest joins Kurith at the bar just as she finished prying open the crate..no doubt having waited to see if Kurith springs another trap before approaching.

 

The mage chooses one of the bottles of Olaf's and takes a long drink from it, "As soon as my magic finishes its work, we should move Rothgar into the secret room and hole up there for the night.", she stys to Kurith, who nods in agreement.. "I need to rest if we're going to have anything to do with more of Strix's minions.", she adds as she takes what is left of her bottle and heads toward the banquet room.

 

"You rest first. You lookin' kinda grey.", Kurith says as the woman is walking away. Kurith wonders for a moment if grey might be Tempest's natural colour rather than blue, but supposes that if it is, Tempest would have corrected Kurith on the spot. Kurith shrugs and pours herself a glass-full of Olaf's Stout.

 

"It's water... just... water.", she mutters, but being that she is still thirsty, she drinks it down and then pours what remaines in the bottle into the glass and is about to drink again when something happens in the other room.

 

"Darius... the crate...... Deraka!", she curses as she scrambles around the end of the bar to see what sort of trouble he has gotten himself into this time.

 

_____

 

Orcish 101 >>

Deraka = Hell (the noun, or the interjection)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should have known... is what goes through Darius' head when the fire engulfs him. Surprisingly, though, the flames don't quite take his life, and he jumps back, landing on the floor in a sitting position and beating at the flames on his arms and chest. When he gets them all out, he sits there for a moment, fuming silently at his complete lack of sense where this particular crate is concerned.

 

He hears the half-orc's cry of alarm, and answers "I'm okay. Got the crate open, too." Reaching to his belt, he finds that he has used up all of his healing potions. Grimacing with the pain, he stands up to go look and see what all this trouble was for, reminding himself to seek out some healing if he survives the next few minutes.

 

 

 

Reflex save: 1d20(10) +9 =19(pass, half damage). Trap damage: 1d4(2) +8 =10(5).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...