Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lorderl

The Dead of Knight

Recommended Posts

The Banquet room is much more nicely furnished, there are actual chairs here, well built and of high grade wood, unlike in the main tavern room where stools and benches are used. The table is also top notch and from its looks, quite heavy. The woodwork is astonishing along all the walls, anyone with at least one point in any Craft Skill using wood, would note that this is a very well built room.

 

 

Eligos…

While still holding Quintilas upright you watched as the ranger crashed to the floor. As you lay the half-elf to rest you contemplated the apparent effect the strange fog has had on everyone. Though you are quite skilled in determining magical effects that are already in place, you suspect that the fog itself is a natural thing, though obliviously infused with magic in some way. Yours was not the in-depth study of magical lore, since having the innate ability to work magical energies until you form it into a useable spell, there was no real need for it, besides, your interest in maps was much more appealing.

 

Still, it leaves to wonder it true purpose. You look at those around that have already fallen. You wonder if it was meant to affect those of significant fighting skills, but that wouldn’t explain Kurith, or perhaps she just has an unusually high resilience to such things being a half-orc an all?

 

Whatever further thoughts you might have had are intruded upon as the Genasi calls out that she’s spotted a hidden door then proceeds to bark out orders. Soon you find yourself assisting in moving chairs away so that the table can be used to barricade the doorway. It’s not a grand table but it is large enough, and much thicker than most. Bracing yourself against it you glance at Kurith for the go ahead. You heave with most of your might but only manage a small budge, while her end banged against the wall with a thud. While you prepare to make another effort at it Kurith has walked around you, grabs the corner of your end with one arm, one short “ungh” later its up against the wall. Then from the far end she pushes the table across the entrance with another thudding smack.

 

 

Kurith…

You keep your desires and anger in check. For a moment you perhaps even feel pity for the dwarves that dwelled in this place for not a single one managed to remain standing to defend there domain. Someone or something surely had it in for them or perhaps it something personal against the Irongullet clan itself! You can see that as a plausible thing, seeing as you’ve only known Thor for less than half a day and have first hand experienced the desire to knockout some of his teeth.

 

Though you are quite strong, its your brains that have served you best, except those few occasion where enough was enough and you lost control. You quickly factor out the battle scenario while you hear the blue skinned woman issuing commands, perhaps she’s the one in need of a good lumping to be tell you what to do, crap!, she’s only know you six seconds! Damn why most everyone think all half-orc are all brawn and no brains. But her words do ring true, you have no real knowledge as to what’s going on and there’ll always be time for bashing these undead afterwards.

 

You stick your head beyond the doorway a bit and glance around. You eye the undead before you, there lack of interest in you is odd. From experience or tales you’ve learned that undead are normally giving a command and sent packing on their merry way to reek terror and destruction. Perhaps it has to do with you not be a dwarf?

 

You unconsciously bring up the only dwarf to mind whom you had just a meager amount of respect for. A slight anger passes you as you hoped he would have at least survive. Glancing behind the bar you see through the shifting fog the golden braids that can only belong to Brundha, beside her you suspect is either Toldin or Bellrose.

 

 

Tempest…

There you stand, with a hidden door right in front of your eyes and you can’t even see it, save for the faint mist that ebbs through an invisible seam in the wooden wall. Withdrawing a tiny bristly fur-ball from a pouch you bend slightly as you proceed to place your friend Ingot on the stone floor in hopes it’ll find something along the walss base. The thought quickly fades as the half-orc comes stomping through the room and starts moving chairs about, better to keep your loved friend in arms reach then to have it wind up beneath that thing, half-orc’s call a foot.

 

You move the little creature to your shoulder where it’ll be safe for now, with an air of confidence you set to the task of finding a means of opening the hidden way. You welcome a good challenge but not necessarily under these conditions. So involved are you in finding the solution to this challenging dilemma that you brush off the Tiefling’s offer for assistance. You marvel and appreciate the craftsmanship of what it must have involved to construct such a well hidden door, you are quite certain if it had not been for the mist you’ve would have never noticed it. You take a step back to clear your thoughts and prepare to tackle the problem once more.

 

Suddenly you are startled as the table hits the wall with a bang as it blocks the entrance. You glance from the half-orc then back to the wall.., then that which you sought spring to life in plain view as a rose in the desert. There, off to the right of the table along the wall is the only knot visibly on in the entire expanse before you. What better place to hide something than in plain view.

 

You approach it with a mix of apprehension and elation, Not having the skills of a Rogue you wonder how to approach the next step. Figuring that a measure of manipulation or interaction is involved to get something to happen you begin by tapping on and around the knot. You sigh in relief as you are grateful that you didn’t set off a trap. Once in a tavern you overheard someone telling a tale of how they opened a chest and recalled that there was some tapping involved. Only now you realize that it was just to enhance the storytelling of the tale, for what fool of a Rogue would risk setting off a trap by tapping on the very thing they want to open!

 

Figuring that this must be what you are looking for and that the dwarves wouldn’t want to fuss much with opening it you start to sort through ideas.

 

Below is the Spoiler i spoke of in the OOC

 

First, you have to think like a dwarf, and to do that, you have to act like one. Luckily, being of a stature of only 4’10” yourself you won’t have to get on both of your knees to be of Dwarven height. You see that the knot is about shoulder height, and wanting to keep your thoughts simple you try and imagine what would be simple, A HATCH! The words just about jump from your mouth. You place the palm of your hand on the knot then push upwards, you jump back as a hidden compartment is revealed.

 

Someone will have to stick their hand in and up to feel for a catch or lever of some sort.

 

Edited by Lorderl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith almost feels bad for having made poor Eligos appear to be a weakling. That had not been her intent. Had he been somebody she did not like at all, she might have actually enjoyed showing him up, but it was the table she was angry with. It not only had the audacity to be too short, but it had brought a bruise to her left knee...and so she slammed it into the wall..which she was also a bit angry with. Whether the barracade would hold for long she was not certain, nor was she even certain that the door opened outward rather than inward, but the satsifying bang followed by splinters falling to the floor brought a smile to her face.

 

She smiles at Eligos. "That ourghtta keep 'em out for a bit."

 

Meanwhile, the blue-skinned lady continues to look around the room for some way to open the secret door she says she has found. Kurith watches for a few moments as the blue lady and her little pet both search the room for a means to spring open the secret door. Eventually the lady focuses her attention on a knothole in the wooden wall. Kurith watches as the woman begins tapping at the knothole, half-expecting something bad to happen, but hoping at least something will happen.

 

Meanwhile, the noises of furniture being upended persists from the outer room.

 

Kurith walks over and taps the blue-skinned lady on the shoulder, taking care not to disturb her little companion.

 

"Lady, if that don't work, I can get yer secret door open, but it won't be a secret door no more." She grins and points toward her axe, which remains propped in a corner.

 

_____________

 

<- OOC ->

 

Hey guys if it's alright with you all, I'll hold off on updating the map until we get some more combat or until a need for knowing distance/range arises.

 

</ ooc ->

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"If I'd wanted it in splinters, I could've done that myself. Something that can be closed behind us will serve much better," Tempest shoots back. "And the name is Tempest," she adds as an afterthought.

 

Heedless of the danger, and perhaps even recklessly endangering herself, Tempest extends her hand, presses against the knot in wood, and pushes the hatch inward. Again with little caution, she then reaches inside to feel for a level or catch. She glances back at the barricade door while doing so, cursing softly as she tries to locate the mechanism. Damnable dwarves! Couldn't they just make a secret door that just -opens-...

 

[Free action: address Kurith. Move equivalent action: attempt to open hatch. If she can successfully open it, she'll use her Standard action to move through and out of the way. If she's unable to get it open... well, she'll fume!]

 

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
She smiles at Eligos. "That ourghtta keep 'em out for a bit."

 

"Let's hope so!" Eligos replies looking at the table a bit dubiously. It was heavy indeed, but how many things out there there were to push on it may make it quite ineffective. Shrugging his shoulders in resignation as there appeared to be nothing better to hold it that he could think of, he makes his way back across the room, wary of stepping on any of the unconscious occupants.

 

When he catches up to the two ladies, the blue skinned genasi has her arm extended into a hole in the wall. Realizing that there is little that he can do to be of assistance, he sits back and watches nervously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith looks around the room a second time, debating whether she should ask what she means to ask, but after watching Tempest fiddle with the hatch with no results, she decides to ask.

 

"Your name's Tempus?", she asks the lady somewhat nervously. "Wheer's the door at? Over there?"

 

Kurith points to the wall at the end of the room nearest where the half-elf had fallen unconscious.

 

"Maybe somebody's gotta push on it while you're doin' that."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eligos & Kurith …

You watch as the woman named Tempest slides her arm up into the compartment, you watch in anticipation for the hidden door to spring open, you glance to the barred door as you hear more commotion from the main tavern room, bottles breaking, the crunch of wood, a chair or table slams against the door. Your attention is once more drawn to the blue skinned woman as you hear her swear under her breath. You both think Not good! Not good at all!

 

 

Tempest…

You arm darts in, the turmoil in the tavern room draws your attention as you fumble for a means to open the hidden door. You wonder what luck for this to be happening to you, all you wanted was to go home and get some rest after a long day. Worst yet, how the hell are you going to get out of it alive? From what you viewed of the state of things outside, you wonder if any place would be safe! Your attention is brought back to the task at hand as you feel a scratch across your finger. A quick burning sensation instantly tells you that its not a splinter, you imagine its effects coursing through your veins. You curse the half-elf again for dragging you down here, and to make matters worst, the SOB now lays sprawled across the floor beneath this damnable mist, he had the look of one who might have the skills to find and bypass this apparently trap. Figuring that the damage is already done, you hasten to find your query before the burning effects become apparent. You brush the back of your hand across something cold, Metal!.., you turn to adjust your position then glance at the Tiefling as you grasp the lever, you pull down, wondering if you could have avoided whatever unfortunate affect may result from the scratch if the dark skinned creature possessed the necessary skills for the task.

 

 

Group…

Effortlessly and silently the section of wall between B10 & C10 part open. Tempest removes her arm from within the wall and takes a step, she stops, she wavers every so slightly, feeling lightheaded she places one hand against the wall to brace herself, then she vigorously shakes her head as if trying to clear some cobwebs loose. She looks to you both, puts her other arm up as if to ward you away and says "I’m fine". She proceeds to take another step then collapses before you.

 

The hidden room is dark but you all have darkvision and can see just fine, not having entered the room yet, all you can see from the banquet room is a ladder built into the far wall.

 

 

Tempest Fort Save DC13 required

 

Fort Spoiler effect:

Tempest you are sleeping

Tempest please read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tempsest continues fumbling around in an attempt to open the door. Out in the main room, more sounds of crashing and bashing can be heard. Kurith hears Tempest curse under her breath, and is about to restate her question regarding the location of the hidden door when suddenly the door reveals itself. Almost silently a section of wall slides aside revealing a small room with what looks like a ladder affixed to the back wall.

 

"YA GOT IT!", Kurith exclaims as though she was the first to notice. She takes a step toward the door but then hears Tempest speaking.

 

"I'm fine", says the woman as she stands with one hand on the wall as though dizzy or drunk. Kurith stops, suspecting something is wrong. As the woman takes a faltering step foward, Kurith sees the fall coming and moves to attempt to catch her.

 

Attempting to catch Tempest before she falls to the ground (adding DEX modifier) (1d20+1=20)

 

As Tempest's knees begin to buckle, Kurith quickly grabs her beneath both arms and stops her fall. Without much more effort, she scoops the lady up into her arms as she had done a thousand times before with drunks who were too unconscious to carry themselves out of Irenda's tavern at closing time. Only Tempest was much lighter and more fragrant than most of the Corner's patrons.

 

"Tempus...you gonna be arright?", Kurith asks, not sure whether she is able to stand on her own again just yet.

 

"Can ya help her, Eligus? I think she's sick but I dunno. She was arready this colour b'fore."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching as the half-orc catches the blue lady, Eligos proceeds cautiously to the opening and peers into it to see what can be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In spite of all that is going on in the tavern's main room, Kurith carefully lays Tempest on the floor.

 

"Wake up... WAKE UP!"

 

She takes the lady's right hand and gently shakes it, hoping for a response. A whole flood of bad memories comes back to Kurith that up until now had only been detatched bits of foggy recollections. She can clearly recall dropping the heavy tow-sack into the garbage pile behind Sailors' Corner, and how the stitching in one side of the bag began to come undone as she dropped it..and she saw a tiny lifeless arm reaching out from the bag as though the bag's occupant was making one last futile effort to ask for help.

 

Kurith leans in close over the blue woman's face to detect whether she is breathing, either by hearing her breath or feeling Tempest's breath upon her ear.

 

"EL-LI-GUSSS GET OVER HERE!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group…

Kurith having seen her share of drunks at the Sailor’s Corner gives Tempest a bit of breathing room as not to crowd her while Tempest has her arm raised. Already perceiving the next course with her usual patented stare and toothy grin “come on, fall already will ya” she skillfully moves up and catches the female Genasi up in her arms. For Kurith, holding Tempest is like cradling a young child for she is quite light in her arms.

 

As you turn and ask Eligos for assistance, he ignores you, either because he isn’t concerned with the blue skinned female or he’s more interested with what lies beyond the hidden wall. Eligos proceeds to make his way to peer inside the hidden room.

 

From where Eligos stands he looks inside. You see a ladder built into the wall across from you, off to the left corner is a table, on top of it rest a greataxe, a backpack, a couple of tankards, some gems, and coins neatly stacked as well. On your immediate left is a dwarfs salvation, a pristine looking large keg. Not much more detail as your still outside the room, angles and such come into play.

 

Kurith, you look the Genasi over, and though you don’t know much about her, you note that her complexion is even and relaxed as proceed to lay her down. Just a quickly as you wave the murky fog away, it reclaims it position and washes over her form. You feel her breath against your skin, she is breathing steady, though the touch of her skin isn’t as warm as you are accustomed to, but what would you know of her race anyways. Your initial efforts at waking her went unanswered but you feel her stir while you call out to Eligos once more. Tempest you start to awaken

 

From above, you hear more ruckus taking place. Kurith, you suspect that your outcries only served to alert your enemies of your continued presence in the room, and moments later you hear another crash against the door then all goes silent from the main tavern room.

 

There really wasn’t much in the way of time that passed, so I’m not including any other story info like what might be happening in the other room etc..., etc…,

 

I’m also currently working on fleshing out the details of the hidden room (why I also didn’t add more detail) and will either update this post with minor details or include all the info once and if you guys go inside the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get up! Get Up! GET UP!! Tempest screams at herself in the blackness. Fight it! There is no time for this! Must... wake... up... After what seems like an eternity in her own mind, Tempest feels her body begin to respond again, and her eyes flutter open. How long was I... her thought trails off as she sees the mist still swirling about the room, and Kurith's concerned visage peering over her. Little enough that we aren't all dead. The answer satisfies her curiosity, and she tries to rise to her feet again. "I'll be alright," she says, adding "let's get out of here while we still can." She sees Eligos at the hatch and moves that direction, looking to exit the room as soon as possible...

 

~v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though she is still virtually a stranger, Kurith is happy to see the lady wake. She gives the woman room to stand on her own. Kurith followes Tempest into the hidden room, keeping one eye on the barracaded door and the other on Tempest, hoping both are strong enough to hold up for at least a little while longer.

 

"How d'we close it back up now?", Kurith asks once everybody is in the secret room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group...

As Kurith watches and lets Tempest regain her feet, she glances at the barricade door once more, retrieving her weapon she follows Tempest into the room. Eligos being the ever so gentleman that he is, kindly takes a step back and aside with a slight bow as the ladies enter the hidden room. Intent on his manners he failed to notice the movement beneath the waves of mist. With a "GASP!" it was Tempest that noticed the movement first as she turn to look back, it darted beneath and through the smoky shifting fog to clamp onto Eligos ankle. Eligos snapped out of his show of proper etiquette revere a little to late as he picked up on Tempest reaction, for something had gotten a hold of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what to expect at this point from the mist, Tempest weighs her options for a split second, then acts. Her hand flies to the pack slung over her should, and in an instant a thin brass-tipped, willow wood wand is in her left hand. Sorry, my planetouched friend, she thinks, but defense comes first. She flicks the wand and utters the word "difesa!" A brief white glow encompasses her enitre body. Apparently satisfied with the results, Tempest readies herself for whatever might come next.

 

[Move action: retrieve Wand of Mage Armor from the backpack. Standard action: invoke Wand to cast Mage Armor on self. Free action: pray to Akadi that everyone that went down in the room is not about to stand back up as undead :lol:]

 

~v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...