Sign in to follow this  
Lorderl

The Dead of Knight

Darius diligently fills the empty slots in his own potion belt with what curatives he finds, and tucks the rest in his pack for distribution to the others later. he then moves back into the secret room and assists Kurith in whatever final preparations she makes before their egress from this 'Tavern of the Damned'.

Kurith glares at Darius with an expression of exacerbation and kicks at the wooden apperatus which allowed the kegs to be stacked. "The tap's missin' the part you pull. Maybe it's like the key.. maybe not. There's ways to get in without a key if ya don't think it's a trap."

Kurith shrugs. "That fat sprog Bellrose prob'ly has it. T'hellwithim! I say let's get on up outta this stunty dump."

Group…

“Keys? You say. I got this set off of Thor. I don’t believe it has a key that works with a keg barrel. Though I did see this one peculiar key on there.” Darius says as he retrieves the key ring from a belt pouch.

A quick look through the set of keys and Kurith finds the odd looking one Darius spoke of. It resembles the piece in question that should fit the keg tap but its been notched to resemble a key. Nonetheless, Kurith removes the key from the ring and begins screwing it down in place. A quick curious glance at Darius is the only warning the ranger gets that they may just be springing another of their host traps!

At most, Kurith hoped and figured it might allow her to pop the tap off and see what’s inside without setting off any traps. Of course, if it didn’t work there was always the standy of breaking the sucker open, but would the contents be worth the risk? Besides, breaking it open with her weapon might destroy what’s inside.

A final turn to go…

As she makes the final twist, she hears an unmistakable click and she prepares to dive for cover, then the face of the barrel snaps open.

Inside Kurith finds a dark Leather Helm which has an open face, and a pair of ivory horns/deer antlers rise from the forehead, each etched with scenes from famous battles. There are also a pair of Heavy Steel Bracers, harsh suns are carved into these which resemble the normally forgiving visage of a sun god. Also a Broad Leather Belt, studded with three moonstones is found inside. The last item inside is a rolled up Leather Toolkit, and after looking inside its clear that they are of masterwork quality.

I liked both helm pictures, so you may choose freely which you prefer the helm to look like :blink:::D:

Kurith is glad that Darius is there to be the resourceful one rather than herself. She only hopes that Darius had found those keys before she had conducted her own search of Thor's body, because even she had stopped short of stripping him naked. Kurith shudders in her revery.

When the barrel is opened and the treasure is revealed, Kurith feels releaved that the payoff was worth the aggrivation.

"Ya want 'em?", she asks Darius. "I got plenny for me... an' more potions too, if ya still need 'em."

"I'll take the belt," Darius replies. "I've seen its type before, and I think it'll come in handy. The other stuff, I don't know. If you want to bring it, bring it." He reaches down and retrieves the item from the cask, and puts it on. "Now, let's get the hell outta here."

Kurith stuffs the other items from the cask into the magic bag of holding along with the spare potion belt which had been lying on the table. Taking one last look around, she urges Tempest to get her stuff together too and come on. Whether she is leading or following, Kurith starts toward the door, more anxious than ever to get out of the cramped quarters.

"Where we goin' now? Not that motherlovin' Ravenloff place I hope."

Darius…

Doning the broad leather belt you sense no significant difference than you did a moment ago (though you do gain and will be aware of a +2 competence bonus on Heal checks when you perform a Heal check. This is a continuous effect and requires no activation). Believing that the item must be magical, else why bother to hide it away, you remove it and begin to thoroughly inspect it. On the inside of the belt you find a symbol that represents healing in the Dwarven language pronounced Pu.

it’s the best I could find online, substitute the word Pu if you know of or think of a better word.

You figure there’s a pretty good chance that it’s the command word to activate the belts magical power. The belts actual power(s) wouldn’t be known until the command word is spoken. You may speculate on the belts magical properties or at your discretion activate the belt at anytime to learn of its power.

Group…

The three of you make your way out of the hidden room with Kurith in the lead, followed by Darius, then Tempest. Being the last to leave Tempest pulls the level that seals the hidden room, then closes the secret hatch. Once more the secret room is secure.

Just a Kurith passes the end of the bar, Tempest stumbles and collapses onto a table. Her pack which she was carrying falls to the floor and it looks like at any moment Tempest will follow.

Reflex Check: Darius DC15 or Kurith DC20 to attempt to catch Tempest before she hits the floor

As you hold Tempest in your arms she grabs hold of your collar and with her remain bit of willpower to resist the Effluvium effects, she whispers a warning. “A three hundred year old vampire is powerful, force al…”, then she succumbs as her mind falls into the dark abyss of nightmares. For a moment you can feel her body quiver in your arms as once more the barded slash impacts against her flesh!

Read upon Successful check or Spoiler

The two of you are all that remain of a group of hearty adventures that arrived at the Underdark tavern in search of adventure and gold the night before at the request of the proprietor, a dwarf named Thor Irongullet. Only now it would seem that you’ve gotten more than you’ve bargained for. You’ve witnessed allies collapse before you, for no other reason than the damnable Effluvium which you have no knowledge of, and your only source of arcane assistance has just been stripped away.

"Just leave her," Darius says, with resignation in his voice. "I don't like it, but we can't do anything, and I don't think we could handle any more gear, and I have a feeling that we really should get out of here."

"Uh-huh", Kurith assents, "...but first..."

Kurith takes a quick look over the fallen companion for anything resembling potions which might be on her personage.

Once that is done and anything of worth collected, Kurith makes hasty steps toward the door, up the stairs, and to whatever is waiting for her up on the highstreets.

"If I go down like she done, will ya do somethin' for me?", she asks Darius as they both reach the top of the stairs. "Will ya kill me? An' will ya keep 'em from takin' my axe?"

Group…

Darius moves on as Kurith delays a moment to relieve Tempest of any useful items. Taking a quick look over her fallen companion, Kurith sees that Tempest is wearing a potion belt with several potions and a masterwork bandoleer with the gold staff piece, a few wands (and possibly other items, need to check character sheet)

Kurith DC25 Listen check

you distinctly hear an odd noise, (nothing that you could put your finger on though), coming from across the room on the upper floor!

As Darius reached the hallway exit he sees a small drift of snow covering the floor and the steps. (the snow will not impact movement nor will there be any Reflex checks) Though you don’t even feel the slights of chills, the howl of a light winters breeze passes overhead at the top of the steps. Not wanting to get to far ahead of Kurith, Darius slowly advances up the steps to get a quick preview of what awaits them.

After taking two steps he can barely detect a voice or voices, or perhaps its just the wind playing tricks with his tense senses. As he decides on what action to take next, Kurith comes up behind him with her usual toothy grin.

The door at the top of the steps has been torn off its hinges. Its possible to peak over the edge of the steps to see what is transpiring above but you’d risk detection yourselves. Roll a Hide check if doing so, also deduct 5 from the Listen check below.

You may also move up the steps as far as you dare where you believe you will not be detected and attempt to make out what’s being said.

Listen check DC25

”I know its near, now tell me where it is and I’ll make your death quick and painless.” The voice is distinctively female

Of course you have the option to sit tight and listen some more (making another DC25 Listen check), rush out, retreat back into the tavern etc…

Kurith is hardly surprised to see snow, though the lack of any cold sensation disappoints her. She wonders whether this means she will likewise no longer be able to feel warmth.

As she nears the top of the stairs, she pauses with one ear turned toward the street. With the survivors of the Underdark now only numbering two, Kurith places more of her hopes in finding other survivors nearby. Earlier she could only hear the sound of wind, but now that she is crouching on the fifth stair from the top, she can hear much better.

Before Darius can move any further, Kurith stretches her arm out across the stairway as though to block his way. She presses the first finger of her other hand to her lips, shakes her head, points then to her ear which is still turned toward the street, and hopes that poor Darius can make any sense of any of those signals.

She allows Darius the chance to listen for himself before proceeding any further.

Minor informational game update...

Items found in Tempest potion belt and bandoleer

Two Cure Light Wounds (1st level)

Two Cure Moderate Wounds (3rd Level)

Elixir of Hiding (DMG255)

Elixir of Sneaking (DMG255)

Beetle Elixir (MIC151)

Camouflage Paint (MIC153)

Elixir of Flaming Fist (MIC159)

Healing Salve (MIC162)

Porcupine Elixir (MIC169)

Salve of Minor Spell Resistance (MIC183)

6 wands

1 six inch gold rod

Though the items are labeled, and most are self explanatory, both the Beetle and Porcupine Elixir effects are not inherently known. Of course your free to speculate on their effects, perhaps the worst case scenario being, is that the drinker will turn into the respective creature :blink: . Use the information below if and when you desire to bother with them.

Beetle Elixir: Upon inspection, the viscous liquid in this vial has an oily brown color and smells a little like wet leaves.

Porcupine Elixir: Upon inspection, the liquid in this vial is dark brown, shot through with vertical threads of white and tan.

Darius would likely have knowledge of each creature if Kurith does not, so feel free to browse through a MM for a creatures properties and or natural abilities.

Darius heeds Kurith's advice, and cocks his head to listen. He hears the harsh whispers over the wind, and his eyes go wide. He looks at Kurith, points at himself, then at his eyes, then to the open door. Taking out his newly acquired warhammer, he creeps up the stairs for a closer look.

Listen check: 1d20(15) +11 =26; pass.

Hide check: 1d20(16) +10 =26.

Likewise, Kurith unslings her axe, taking care to do it as quietly as possible. She waits where she is while Darius moves closer, knowing good and well she is not so good at hiding.