Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lorderl

The Dead of Knight

Recommended Posts

Group…

Peering past the doorway and onto the High Road, Darius sees the remains of what was a recent battle.

 

Two armored bodies, a male elf and human female lay sprawled across the ground somewhere about the center of the High Road, they are unmoving with weapons laying nearby. Standing over them are a pair of Armored Skeletons, each is fitted in chainmail, one has a heavy steel shield. The first skeleton, which is also the shield bearer has its bastard sword drawn and at the ready as it observes its counterpart. The second skeleton has both hands clutched around a human mans throat as it holds him up in midair, a commoner from the looks of him.

 

Standing near is a beautiful half-elven woman (see pictures below). “This one knows nothing” is all she says. The skeleton standing at the ready stares as the mans body goes limp in the other skeletons grasp.

 

Darius notes that all the victims have that same dull gray skin color that he and Kurith now share

 

“Find it!” the female says in a commanding tone “or find others like these whom might have it or know where its lays hidden.” she adds as she points one of the skeletons toward the Swords Rest tavern, it draws its own bastard sword as it heeds its mistress command. The other she directs toward the Underdark!

 

“It is near, bring it to me!” she commands

 

Darius can recall a vision of this woman from the previous night dreamscape, the memory of her is not pleasant as you recall she is associated with an undead dragon who’s name lies in darkness at the edge of your mind. It’s a safe bet that Darius wasn't spotted yet since there was no apparent reaction from the woman or her skeletal guards.

 

Hyrekia1

Hyrekia2

 

Either of the two Hyrekia's shown above work for me, i just couldn't decide between them. Thxs to those board members who’s pictures of Hyrekia I’m using :lol::wub: .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group…

Darius stares on at the scene as the old mans form goes limp and is discarded to the ground. If the man hasn’t already perished from strangulation or a broken neck, then the thud of the impact from skull meeting concrete would be a clear indication that if the old man still lived it wouldn’t be for much longer.

 

He watches for a moment longer hoping to Spot something that he and Kurith might take advantage of if a conflict ensues. Instinctively Darius tightens his hold on his weapon. The desire to rush out and put and end to this madness swells up in him, but being the seasoned adventure that he is, he knows that such recklessness is foolhardy. He would not repeat the same mistake again, when he and Larry stumbled across the camp of a small group of orcs. Finding an ogre amiss them that appear from one of the crude tents was quite a surprise indeed and would ensure that he remember his folly. If not for the formidable strength of Larry, and the drunken stupor state of the ogre, the battle would have likely come to a far different resolution.

 

“Larr..” Darius begins to say as he quickly turns and begins to lower himself where he can safely remain unseen. Clearing the past encounter from his mind he addresses his new half-orc companion.

 

“Kurith, we have but a moment before were spotted” he says, then he quickly fills her in on what he has observed.

 

The Spot check would reveal that Darius spotted a slight hand and/or head movement from one of the figures, which by some grace went unnoticed by the half-elf. In all likelihood whomever it was would be regaining consciousness soon. Darius would also notice something (from gear, armor, weapon(s), holy symbol, etc… ) that would give an idea of what class(es) Haldir has chosen

 

 

“What do you think we should do m'lady?” he ask Kurith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith nods sullenly as Darius relates to her what he can see up on the street.

 

"Yesterday I woudda sed this ain't our fight an' snuck out the back door.", Kurith says witn a degree of shame. "But she gonna keep on til she find us an' get what she wants, so ..hell...why not! Let's do this thing right here."

 

Before stepping out from behind her cover, Kurith takes any amount of time and healing-potion necessary to get she and Darius as close to fully healed as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group…

Kurith quickly grabs two healing potions from her potion belt. Making sure she gives the more potent one to Darius she says “Drinki it!” to stifle any objections before the ranger can object.

 

Darius pops the cork off as you do. Holding the vial a bit in the air in a small toast like fashion he quietly says “cheers m’lady” and you both down your respective potions. In just a short moment thereafter you both feel convulsions of pain rack throughout your bodies and the desire to heave and cough.

 

 

DC15 Fort save

you are unable to suppress the urge to cough a bit, failure by 5 or more means you cough loader than even you expected.

Read upon Failed Save or Spoiler

 

Darius lets out a few short colorful phrases of profanity before adding “crap, this didn’t happen when I used the ointment.”

 

 

roll for your healing, but instead of recovering hit points, that will be the amount of damage you take from your potion. You both also have a move action left to use if you like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith hardly gets the potion swallowed properly before she realizes that it disagrees with her entirely.. She succeeds in suppressing the cough by clapping her hand over her mouth. Her eyes fill with tears and it appears for a moment that she is choking, but soon enough a line of blue spittle trickles from between her fingers. She takes her hand away from her mouth and wipes it on her cloak. It is only after her own bad experience passes that she can take time to see how Darius reacts.

 

"Tahi busuk!", Kurith sputters beneath her breath, wiping more spittle away from her lips as she does so. "I ain't tryin' to kill ya."

 

Kurith looks back toward the bottom of the stairs for a moment and contemplates her present situation. "Maybe there's another way outta here."

 

She shakes her head and tries to convince herself that things are not actually as they seem to be.

 

"Saya belum keghu...saya bukan kegur... saya belum keghu....saya bukan kegur.."

 

_____

 

What Kurith said:

 

"Tahi busuk" = "S**t filthy!"

"Saya belum keghu...saya bukan kegur" = "I not yet die...I not corpse,,,"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius also manages to stifle a cough, then grimaces and whispers, "You sure that was a healing potion and not a vial of acid?"

 

The liquid burns like fire and roils around in his innards, doing Silvanus knows what kind of harm. Kurith's suggestion that they had become some sort of zombie comes to mind, and the ranger has to admit to himself that what he had once laughed off as impossible might make a little sense, after all.

 

"No time, Kurith," he whispers at the half-orc's suggestion of finding another way around. "One of the half-elf's minions is coming this way. Quick! Down the stairs, and hide. We'll take it by suprise."

 

Darius sneaks back down the stairs, and kneels behind one of the tables directly in front of the stairwell. He keeps his bow at the ready, meaning to shoot as soon as the undead makes the bottom of the stairs.

 

 

Fortitude save: 1d20(8) +7 =15, pass. Potion damage: 2d8(9) +3 =12. Move Silently: 1d20(17) +10 =27. Hide: 1d20 (11) +10 =21. Position: E1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith collects her nerves and her axe and follows Darius down. Seeing that Darius is choosing to take cover behind an overturned table directly in front of the stairway, Kurith gets herself ready to attack anything that gets past his arrows. She takes her own position near the doorway to the stairs so that when the skeleton enters, she will catch him by surprise from the left.

 

"Danm those Irongullets", Kurith mutters as she stands by the door hunched over and readying her axe. "Danm the short bas+ards both of 'em."

 

_____

 

Um.. following Darius's example, that'd be position A2, and she also tries to Move Silently and Hide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group…

You both assume your positions and wait for your target which seems like an eternity, you begin to grow tense as the second pass slowly by. You glance at one another, though no word is spoken, you share a similar thought…

 

If the city is crawling with undead and she is able to command them, once she realizes one of her minions has been dispatched, given enough time, what’s to stop her from sending hordes of undead against us while we hide in the confines of the Underdark...

 

Kurith, remembering the gold cylindrical piece thinks.., Could that be what she’s after?

 

Darius, with bow now in hand watches the entryway, his body still aching from the healing draught that he drank. His mind to tries to focus at the task at hand. He’s already had enough encounters with undead to last a lifetime. But this time there seemed to be something amiss which was gnawing at the back of his mind.

 

Undead, Undead, Undead… what had undead to do with what was troubling him he pondered. His thoughts went to the incredibly beautiful woman outside who even now commanded these atrocities of nature against them. The vision of her beauty filled his mind and he once more recalled the dreamscape of the night before, and once it had passed, a cold chill ran down his spine, even as his soul filled with fire.

 

His lips parted and a single hushed word spoken with disdain escaped “Kaladrax !”

 

Even in his current state, it left a bitter taste in his mouth to speak the name of the Dire Drake, Guardian of the Dragon Kings Graveyard. He now knew who the woman outside served and what she was after!

 

Standing but several feet away, Kurith heard what Darius had spoken, it made the hair on the base of her neck rise.

 

 

You both have a round of actions if you wish to do something

 

 

Outside…

While the half-elf moves to stand over the body of the man who was just discarded onto the ground, her armored skeletons continue forward seeking to fulfill their mistress desire.

 

Her guards had done well in dealing with this rabble group whom thought to oppose her. She had hoped that this old man who had displayed a measure of arcane talent might have knowledge of her prize, but he did not, and so his usefulness was near its end. A spell came to her mind with a witches grin which she knew would be quite fitting. In the few fleeting moments of life which he clang to, she would make his death serve a purpose for her!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith, her mind focused solely on why healing potions have not only ceased to wrok, but are now harmful, hears Darius speak and hissas back at him, "tWhat'd you call me?"

 

She suspects he thinks it was her intent to give him poison for potion, though she knows good and well if she had been of the mind to kill anybody, she would have done it the night before, and not near so subtly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith…

For a long moment Darius remained silent, save but a low grunt. She could see the anger building in her companions features as his brows narrowed. Before she could pursue the issue any further she saw his eyes widen even as she heard the noise coming from the hallway beyond the Underdark entrance.

 

Darius quickly let an arrow fly, Kurith could make out the distinct sound of his arrow impacting against metal. Recalling that Darius had mentioned that the approaching armored skeleton was carrying a shield, she figured the arrow shattered into splinters upon it.

 

Kurith braced herself as best she could in the uncomfortable confines of the low ceiling as she prepared to strike a mighty blow once the enemy had stepped through the doorway.

 

The resulting impact of metal against metal vibrated across the room as Kurith's blow landed solidly against the targets shield, then slide off with a scraping sound like fingernails across a chalkboard.

 

Her opponent showed no interest in her as it focused its attack against the ranger who wielded the prize that is mistress sought. With every swing it pressed its attack solely against Darius even as Kurith managed a couple well placed crippling blows of her own.

 

When the battle had ended Kurith stood uninjured, but her companion whom had the fortitude of an Ox was not so fortunate. Darius had fought with a fierce intensity, pushing himself beyond the limits where one would normally collapse from their wounds. He now laid upon the dwarven worked stone floor, his many wounds clearly visible. In his already weakened state from drinking the potion that she had given him, he simply could not withstand the skeletons assault.

 

She knelt down by his side and turned him over face up. She felt for a pulse, there was none! A moment later Darius eyes slowly cracked open even though he was already at deaths door.

 

“cough.., cough..,” spurts of blood crease his lips as he managed the will to speak between the gates of the living and the dead.

 

“Larry” a small smile broke across his face as he perceived Kurith as his old adventuring companion “don’t let her have it”

 

A moment more passes as Kurith feels Darius hand grab her arm in a firm grip “where have you’ve been my friend?” are his final words.

 

 

Kurith will have roughly 4-6 rounds to act while she remains in the basement level of the Underdark. I will make a post once she either moves to the upper floor or heads outside

 

 

Outside…

Hyrekia, was quite pleased with herself. Her minions had done well in leaving just the merest amount of life remaining in each of the foolhardy survivors whom tried to bolster an attack against her. She smiled wickedly as she snuffed out the life of the final one with her Death Knell spell.

 

She looked toward the Sword’s Rest tavern with a bit of disappointment as her skeletal guard emerged alone. She then turned toward the Underdark tavern and wondered what could be keeping the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
“Larry” a small smile broke across his face as he perceived Kurith as his old adventuring companion “don’t let her have it”

 

"Have what?", Kurith asks, fully aware that he is dying. "Your bow? My axe? That gold thing I found?", she adds, listening for any reply. He and she had looted many magical things that day,and he could be talking about any one of them. She takes a quick glance behind her to see if anything else is coming down the stairs.

 

A moment more passes as Kurith feels Darius hand grab her arm in a firm grip “where have you’ve been my friend?” are his final words

 

Kurith, on a strange whim of empathy, lays her closed fist gently on Darius' heart and says "I'm waitin' on ya in Mongkugha".

 

Knowing she does not have much time left, Kurith sets to loading as much of what Darius had looted into her magic bag or into the lady mage's haversack. She stops short of loading in his sword though. In her short time in Waterdeep, she had heard many things about those magic bags, a few of which she had seen herself not to be true, bvt one thing in particular came to mind. It was said that if the bag got a puncture or tear, whatever was in it would just disappear forever. This gives Kurith an idea. She supposes it is not the best solution, but if it comes to it, she will make sure the bad vampire does not get what she is looking for.

 

_________

 

Orcish 101

Mongkugha - from the orcish mongke (eternal) + kugha (hunting grounds) - in spite of what those hard-arsed acolytes of Gruumsh tell us, that's where all good orcses go when they die.

 

 

 

Note to GM - Kurith will leave behind her own shortsword and take Darius' if that is possible. She will also take Darius' cloak and use it to wrap up his new shortbow so it does not poke holes in her bag. she also makes sure she has the bit of gold rod in her magic bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith takes yet another glance toward the stairway and is surprised to see that nobody has come down to see about their fallen undead henchman. However, she still believes it is inevitable and that she must act quick if she intends to leave the Underdark by any other means than by those stairs.

 

She fumbles through the looted potions one last time, this time paying less attention fo the suspect-curatives and more attention to the others, which she has yet to be given cause to believe will not work as they should. She had recalled Darius having one in particular, and upon searching, finds it. She lays the Potion of Passing Unseen aside and gathers up the laiden backpack, ties the magic Bag of Holding off to her belt, makes sure her axe is slung and that at least one dagger is conveniently accessible should she need it. Thus with the Passing Potion in one hand and the other free, she heads toward the secret room.

 

_________

 

(to GM)

Not sure how many actions opening the hidden door, passing through, closing the door behind her..etc. will take, but her plans ultimately are to use the hidden room ladder to get to the upper floor and hopefully have an undetected vantage point of what is going on outside. She will also DEFINATELY take a Listen check at the trapdoor if she makes it that far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith…

Quickly you make it into the secret room, and though you’ve had little reason to like the Irongullets thus far, you are thankful that their stumpy hides took the time to have this room constructed.

 

Hearing nothing at the trapdoor you ascend into the suspected private bedchamber of Thor Irongullet. As you move over to the window you hear a small crunch beneath your foot. A quick glance reveals what looks like the remains of a tiny skeletal spider.

 

You move over to the window and try to keep a Low Profile while you look onto the High Road. Standing in the center near a few fallen corpses, you see by human standards, a beautiful half-elf woman just as Darius described. Near her is another of the armored skeletons you recently fought, this one has no shield, but wields a bastard sword in both hands. You are quite sure the woman is looking at the Underdark. She raises her hand and points directly at you, you’ve been Spotted! Her servant begins to move toward the building heeding its mistress command.

 

As you stand there looking at one another the dreamscape from last night floods you mind and when you come to your senses you clearly recall the details of Hyrekia and her master, Kaladrax! (though Kurith won’t know Hyrekia's name, she would have heard Kaladrax name spoken at least once during the dreamscape)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith had been planning to slip out the upper-floor exit the moment the lady and her skeletal henchman entered the lower floor, but that plan seems now not to be coming together so well. Kurith quickly formulates a second plan, though she knows it is not really so much a plan as it is self-preservation and panic taking charge of the situation.

 

'Drunks do it all the time. How bad could it be.'

 

Kurith drops the little vial of potion, draws her axe, and steps backward toward the wall of the small room. Then with one shoulder leading, she charges toward the window and leaps through. It was one of those moments in which one sees one's own actions as though from a short distance apart. In Kurith's mind's eye, she sees herself run forward and spring right over the windowsill with her right knee out ahead of her, her right foot almost touching her backside and her left leg trailing behind her. In the next second, she sees herself from the outside of the inn. A rain of glass is falling behind her as she flies through the air, her legs already resuming a running motion even before she has gained the ground. In the next instance, she sees herself landing solidly on the paving stones in mid-stride and barrelling ahead right toward the skeleton. In those fleeting moments, she wishes Traug could see her because as her focus returns to what she is about to face, she thinks to herself she may never see him again.

 

She slams into the skeleton and makes her attack.

 

 

 

____

 

{OOC}

:ph34r:

{/OOC}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith…

“eeeek!” Hyrekia gasps as she witnesses Kurith spectacular display of combative skills.

 

Kurith lands a solid blow that catches the skeleton across the chest. The sound of cracking bones beneath the skeletons armor thrills Kurith. She is aware that she’ll be solely relying on her own natural brute strength to defeat her enemy since skeletons are resilient against edged weapons.

 

The skeletons fiery red pin-prick eyes flare brighter as it turns with the blow struck against it. It’s sword comes round and catches Kurith on her left side, a relatively deep cut across her arm, near the shoulder area.

 

Hyrekia, being surprised by Kurith’s actions is last to react, she quickly overcomes her awe of Kurith’s prowess and begins casting a spell, a few short jesters of her hand and she calls out “Tinechor!”

 

Feeling a bit more confident now that she has a defensive spell in place, Hyrekia calls out to her servant “deal with her swiftly, I suspect this one may know something of Etheglias Bow.”

 

Unknown to all, off in the distance an undead armored figure just comes into view, in one hand it holds a bastard sword with a black blade, in the other it holds by wisps of hair a shrunken head, held before it like a lantern.

 

so that you may add descriptive text to your attacks, if you desire to, this skeleton has an Armor Class of 20, this will save you from waiting on me to reply on whether your strike is successful or not after you’ve informed me of the AC you hit

 

 

Kurith’s damage taken =

11 points of damage from the skeletons attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...