Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lorderl

The Dead of Knight

Recommended Posts

With the secret door closed, and the odd thumps marking a cestation to the noises above her, Tempest pauses for a moment to reflect on the situation. Why didn't I just levitate above the fog when I was still outside, she wonders. This inn has turned into nothing more than a series of rooms that confines me further and further. This thought makes her acutely aware of just how little space the three of them are crammed into. This rather sudden realization forces her into action, pushing up on the trapdoor above her, the summoned arcane energies still burning in the front of her mind.

 

[Move equivalent action: open the trap door enough to see into the room above. Standard action: Ready action (cast Blindness/Deafness on the first active hostile target she sees).]

 

~v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tempest…

You push against the trapdoor, it effortlessly lifts open without a sound, an ingenuity in counterbalance craftsmanship as there is no need to support it open. Immediately you note the same dense layer of smoky fog along the floor. Initially it engulfs you as you climb through it. Your hopes that there would be help above vanishes as you find yourself facing a small undead creature. Its crouched frame glares at you with the red pinpoints of lights set in its skull. Though most of its flesh is gone, a diagonal portion of its face is still recognizable as that of a goblin. The undead goblin wears tattered leathers, wields a morningstar and carries a small warped wooden shield.

 

 

Kurith…

Now with all that is going on, you nonetheless find enough reason within yourself to blame Thor for the evening events, even though you haven’t seen hair or hide of “Stunty” since he sent everyone back downstairs after the minor skirmish on the High Road.

 

Feeling as the dwarves have gotten what they had coming, and you, your due for being put through a night of wasting your time, you adjust the final strap across your chest in equipping your new weapon, a sharp sting quickly reminds you of the experience of a few moments ago. You push the pain out of your mind, though you know its something that you’ll need to look at some point, but right now is neither the time or place. Besides, how would the Tiefling react to you exposing yourself in such a manner. A tooth juts out of a sly wryly grin as you glance his way. You turn and move across to look on Tempest. Then you glimpse an impetuous look in her eyes, and before you have a chance to react, she pushes the trap door open.

 

 

Eligos…

You take in the room, and the half-orcs actions. Should you follow her cue and gather a few items for yourself? Was the greataxe that Kurith picked up trapped? Was it with Tymora’s blessing that she just managed to survive it? Would you be willing to risk such an act yourself with the remaining items on the table? Kurith did manage to grab up some of the other items without any other ill consequences, the thoughts race through your mind as you glimpse Kurith giving you a query look as she turns away and moves over to Tempest.

 

Looking over the items on the table once more you contemplate your next course of action. You wonder if and for how long this room would be safe, at that moment you see Tempest push the trap door open.

 

Ok.., so the time has come to see if Eligos is still oblivious to what’s going on around him, or have the events that transpired diluted his senses and he’s just wishing he’d just stayed in bed on this chilly raining day in Waterdeep. Need a Spot Check DC15 for Eligos only, if successful he may inform Kurith so that they may both react to the Spot Check and receive a Standard Action prior to the Initiative roll.

 

From the corner of your eye you see the secret door to this room glide open, your eyes widen with dreadfulness, only now do you come to the realization that no one bothered to shut the hidden panel in the banquet room, you also see a small figure standing at the opening.

Successful Spot Check or Spoiler

 

Need an Initiative roll from everyone in OOC please, though unless Eligos makes the Spot Check, then only Tempest may act (and post actions) prior to the Initaitive roll. Tempest will act first before the undead goblin upstairs. I’ll update the bottom of this post with the Initiative order after Tempest has posted and I have everyone’s Initiative roll.

Edited by Lorderl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tempest releases the arcane energy roiling in her mind upon the creature before her, but hesitates for a moment in the cadence of her incantations as the creature menaces her. That briefest pause is all it takes for the energy to fall apart, and it is lost from her mind, to no effect on the undead goblin. Confronted with an opponent, and with nowhere to turn, Tempest lets loose a string of loud curses. Then she prepares to defend herself against the creature.

 

~v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing that he doesn't have much time, Eligos quickly scans the table and picks up a few of the ramaining items and a handful of coins to store in his pouches then joins the ladies at the trap door.

 

Spot Check 16 and Initiative 7

 

As he joins them, he notices the door sliding open. "Uh, ladies? I think we have some company down here!" he shouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group…

As Tempest readies herself for melee combat, which she dreads, for she’s knows its not one of her stronger talents, Kurith looks back at the secret door after Eligos warning. She sees one of the undead creatures she saw in the main tavern room earlier, also, there is another similar creature, its counterpart, the one with the morningstar just 10ft beyond the one at the entrance.

 

Intelligence Check DC15 (except Tempest, she’s upstairs, anyone if they’re in the 10th row)

you recall these two undead goblins, but there were other creatures which you didn’t see making their way into the tavern, so if these two are here where you can see them, who pulled the lever to open the secret door?

Successful Check or Spoiler

 

Creatures…

Undead Skeletal Goblin #1: (upstairs) at K2

Undead Skeletal Goblin #2: (downstairs) at C10

Undead Skeletal Goblin #3: (downstairs) at E10

 

Players…

Tempest: K3 (upstairs)

Kurith: A10 (downstairs)

Eligos: B9 or A10 (downstairs), depending on whether Kurith moves to attack creature at C10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eligos…

You watch as the women in the group confront the undead creatures that obstruct any means of escape, your trapped! If you chose to help either one, will you leave the other vulnerable?

 

Kurith does appear tough and likely capable of handling herself. Though from what you’ve just seen her go through, it does bring up some doubts, was she really able to shake off that experience so easily?

 

You wonder where this, Tempest, plans on leading you, she has spirit, but a spirit is not something you yourself want to become because of her actions.

 

You glance once more between both women as you decide on your next course of action.

 

 

Kurith…

You rush forward prepared to whack the undead creature, it swings its rusty blade, giving you a very minor cut across your left thigh. The other undead goblin is looking about the room and then disappears beneath the smoky fog near the corner where the human you called manboy never rose from the floor. Your close proximity to the entrance alerts you to something else in the banquet room, a low moan and the stench of death, its just around the corner as you can see its shadow cast upon the undead goblin before you.

 

 

Tempest…

“ungh…” spews forth from your lips after you’ve finished cursing, as the undead goblin managed to get a glancing blow across your right hip. The blow would be minor if you were a fighter or if you were built in stature as the half-orc below you. Though you know the blow could have been much worst if it struck your head, had you attempted to move back down, nonetheless your precarious position on the trapdoor doesn’t leave much room for evading blows.

 

You hear more of the same bashing noise coming from the hallway beyond, same as what was happening in the main tavern room below.

 

 

Check OOC for game note

 

Kurith damage spoiler:

1 point of damage

 

Tempest damage spoiler:

2 points of damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No stranger to having her blood spilled, the wound invigorates Tempest and drives her into action. Confidently, she steps to the side of the trap door onto more solid footing, whips a runed ash-and-silver wand from the bandoleer across her chest, points it at the diminutive undead and cries out "fulmine!" Two brilliant shards of white-hot light streak from the tip of the wand, striking the bony construct sqaure in the chest. The force of the arcane blast is sufficient to undo the necromantic enchantment that binds the creature to the mortal realm, and it crumbles before her. Tempest permits herself a grim smile for her minor victory as she stows the wand back in the bandoleer pocket. "Come up," she calls to the two dawdlers below, oblivious to their engagement...

 

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith is somewhat surprised by the tiny skeletal creature's strength as it slashes at her thigh with its scimitar. She had always thought goblins to be terribly inept, but this little one was putting up quite the fight.

 

She takes a full swing with her sap, striking the annoying little monster square on its head, but rather than fall to the ground as had many a drunken sailor might have, it remains standing, glaring at her with its two pinpoint red eyes. It dawns on her at that moment that a being with a hollow skull cannot be knocked out in such a manner. Kurith takes a quick look around for the mechanism for closing the door, but cannot find it anywhre.

 

"Go on up, Elligus!", Kurith shouts over her shoulder as she steps back to cover the retreat. "Ain't no fightin' room down here."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deciding that it would be best at the moment to listen to the suggestions of the two ladies, Eligos quickly scrambles up the ladder to face whatever the blue-skinned woman is fighting at the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tempest…

After calling down to the others you take a moment to look about the room, by its furnishings, you recognize it as a bedroom. The room has been ransacked, books lay on the floor, the desk drawers rest smashed on the wooden floor, everything is either turned over or has been broken into. Glancing toward the windows you guess that you must be in the forefront of this establishment. You take in a deep breath relived to be out of the cramp quarters below, you hear the bashing sound come to a halt as another door not far beyond this room gives away.

 

As you exhale that same dizziness and haziness from earlier starts to cloud your mind once more, you sway in place momentarily, your thoughts race as you watch the Tiefling ascend the ladder, your realize that if you falter here you could go crashing into him, sending you both tumbling back through the trapdoor, you reach out to brace yourself once more but find no wall to support you. You take the smallest of a quivering step to balance yourself in the hopes of keeping yourself from collapsing.

 

Tempest Fort DC13

you collapse to the floor, you life force rapidly diminishes, you feel the call of the undead rising to fill you corpse, you sense the presence of living souls about you, you must rise and extinguish the light.., just kidding, you collapse to the floor unconscious

Read upon Failed Save or Spoiler

 

 

Kurith…

As you step back the undead goblin lurches at you in an attempt to grab hold of you, you swipe at the bugger, but because of your awkward stance due to the low ceiling, you misjudge the creatures quickness and it ducks beneath your blow and grabs hold of you. Out of the mist comes charging its counterpart, since your already trying to shrug off the first one, the second slams into you.

 

 

Opposed Grapple Strength Check DC16

the undead goblin manages to get a good hold of you and rakes it claws across your left arm for 1 points of damage

Read upon Failed Check or Spoiler

 

Opposed Overrun Strength Check DC17

the undead goblin slammed into you as you were trying to adjust your center of gravity, you twist in vain as you tumble to the floor, if you failed the previous Grapple Check then your still grappling with the first undead goblin

Read upon Failed Check or Spoiler

 

 

Then you see a another figure step into view at the entrance, your nostrils fill with the stench of death and decay that it brings with it. The creature is crouched low as you are. You estimate that this burly humanoid must stand roughly six and half feet tall, it has patches of molted hairy skin, feral eyes, and a flat nose and chin. Its pale skin reveals it as another undead, its studded leather armor though dirty and unkempt appears to still be whole, in one hand it holds a small wooden spiked shield, in the other, a longsword that obliviously has seen better days. It lets out a low dreadful moan. You instantly recognize it as a Hobgoblin Zombie.

 

 

Eligos…

As you move up the ladder, chaos breaks out beneath you. Once up top, you watch as Tempest appears to be doing some type of mojo dance or you suspect something is terribly amiss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concerned over the sounds of combat from the small room below, and the sluggishness to which Kurith and Eligos seem to be responding to her calls, Tempest is further distracted by the sounds of nearby ransacking. Her head begins to spin, and she belatedly realizes that the poison from the trap below still courses through her system. Again it takes over, and she collapses to the floor once more, this time without Kurith to spare her the hard landing.

 

~v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith steps back toward the base of the ladder as the two goblins quickly close in on her. The one who she had already tried to attack once lurches forward at her ferociously. Though she takes another quick swat at its bony head, it dodges her blows and latches onto her, digging its claws across her left arm.*

 

While she tries to free herself of the dimminutive menace, the second goblin armed with morningstar re-emerges from the fog and charges forward, slamming into her with all the force it can muster. In spite of the first goblin which is still clinging to her with its sharp bony claws, Kurith stands her ground. ** The second goblin charges squarely into her right fist. Its feet fly out from under it and it falls, disappearing again beneath the fog. ***

 

Kurith endures the first goblin's attacks. Though it refuses to let go, she draws her shortsword. There are more dangers in the room than just skeletal goblins and angry half-orcs. She shouts only a sparse warning to those who have already climbed the ladder.

 

"HOBGOBLIN!!"

 

 

 

 

* Kurith's Opposed Grapple Check (-2 for low ceiling) (1d20+7=12)

 

** Kurith's Overrun STR check (not sure if I should take a -2 for the low ceiling) (1d20+5=22)

 

*** Opposed STR Check for blocking an Overrun attack (1d20+5=18)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eligos…

You watch as Tempest falls to the floor, you quickly move over her body unsure of what would cause her to collapse so, perhaps she sustained a lethal injury while in combat, you did hear her call out something moments earlier. Just as you prepare to bend down and check her status another of the small undead creatures steps into view in front of the doorway (L4) where you now stand (L3). Your eyes meet, but your view is instantly drawn to the scimitar that it wields.

 

Eligos beat this undead goblin on Initiative

 

 

Tempest…

The poison works its way through you system, the last of its effects spent. Your clouded mind drags you deeper into slumber, your limbs relax as you rest upon the floor, for a fleeting moment you welcome the rest. A single thought or feeling courses through you, you’ve never let yourself be dominated before and you’ll be damn if you plan to start now

 

Tempest Fort DC13

roll 1d2 (d4: 1-2=1, 3-4=2), if you failed the save add +1, if you fail by 5 or more, instead roll 1d4+1, this is the duration that you remain unconscious

Read regardless of result

 

 

Kurith…

Eligos can’t move up the ladder fast enough for your taste as you backstep trying to get yourself into a better position while fighting off the little critters that are harrying you. Having already knocked one of the undead critters to the ground you prepare to strike at the other so you can meet the real challenge of the brute at the hidden rooms entrance. Suddenly, the same undead goblin that you just knocked down springs up out of the fog and grabs onto you as you stab, causing you to strike up into the ceiling where the tip embeds itself momentarily, before your pull it free with your great strength. As you attempt once more to fend off this second undead goblin from grappling you as it counterpart did, the first one reminds you of its presence by clawing your arm again, another minor cut, you figure the creature must be having a hard time getting pass your defensive but for how long you wonder? Now there may possibly be two of them for you to contend with. You look up for a moment at the undead Hobgoblin and know that if this second little cretin latching onto you that the brute will surely make its way into the room an attack you.

 

 

Opposed Grapple Strength Check DC13

the undead goblin manages to get a good hold of you and rakes it claws across your neck for 1 points of damage, also upon failed save the undead hobgoblin steps up and takes a swipe at you but misses

Read upon Failed Check or Spoiler

 

Kurith damage spoiler:

1 point of damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith makes a futile attempt to stab at the skeletal goblin that has latched onto her arm, but she fumbles the attack as the second goblin springs to its feet and leaps at her again.* Fortunately for the bony nuissance, it only manages to tear away a small swatch of her overshirt with its grasping claws.** Meanwhile, the first goblin maintains its hold on her arm like an angry alleycat, clawing at her and drawing more blood.

 

All the while, the undead hobgoblin shambles nearer.

 

She makes another attack against the creature as it continues to dig into her flesh. ***

 

______________

 

 

* Kurith's Attack roll against Goblin

 

** Kurith's opposed Grapple check {I think I should've rolled 1d20+7 instead}

 

*** Attack with Shortsword, damage if successful {bad day for Kurith}

 

Downstairs map update

Upwnstairs map update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...