Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lorderl

The Dead of Knight

Recommended Posts

The blue-skinned lady seems hesitant to take Kurith's hand. "Or maybe ya jus' wanna stay down there.", Kurith remarks grumpily as she turns to have another look beyond the doorway at which she is standing. Stepping into the corridor, she looks to her right.

 

"Somethin's busted down the doors...prob'ly that'un we jus' finished killin'.", Kurith tells Tempest and Eligos.

 

It is quiet, the sort of quiet that only seems to come with fog or heavy fallen snow. Sounds do not carry very far, but the sounds in the immediate area are not having to compete with the sort of racket that is normally ambient in a city like Waterdeep. For a moment, Kurith can hear Eligos' and Tempest's breathing and the floorboards creaking underfoot, but a noise from below breaks the relative silence. Kurith hears a voice or voices coming from the lower floor of the Underdark. She is sure the voices are not of the undead, but does not know to whom they belong.

 

Kurith steps back into the room and points toward the area in the fog where she recalls the trapdoor being and whispers loud enough for the other two to hear, "Somebody's still down there... somebody b'sides the...".

 

Her words are interrupted by a second noise. Slowly she leans her head out into the corridor to have a second glance, but sees nothing yet.

 

"Somethin's up here too still. Got any more 'them dogs up yer sleeve, Elligus?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tempest takes Kurith's offered hand and rises to her feet once again. Still alive after all, she muses, still slightly disturbed by the nightmares that so recently infected her mind. "There was another that I killed before that one," Tempest flatly states. She cocks her head at the noises from below. "The inn crawls with the creatures," she agrees with Kurith's assessment that there are still more about. Unable to detect any sounds from this floor, she continues, "I have no desire to return to the lower level, but if you think there are others still alive there, perhaps we can hold this area long enough for them to join us?"

 

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still trying to clear his head from the cobwebs, Eligos shakes it vigorously. He looks at the two ladies and smiles a bit sheepishly. "Does anyone have any idea what-so-ever as to what is going on?" he asks quietly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Prob'ly Thor's doin'", Kurith replies flippantly. "Watch the hall would'ya?", Kurith adds, pointing toward the doorway that leads into the corridor.

 

She then gets down on one knee using her new axe as a sort of crutch. Her slowness of movement makes it apparent that she is hurting a good bit, but she does not complain of it.

 

With her right hand still gripping her axe's handle, she starts probing blindly around the floor with her left hand looking for the edges of the trapdoor somewhere beneath the fog, The crack that she is sure should be there continues to elude her, and the fear grips her that this particular door, like most dwarven things, was created to frustrate and confound half-orcs and their kin.

 

Never the less, she keeps listening for more voices. She hopes that if anybody is below and trying to come up, that they would have the common sense to bang on the door or yell at her to move if it happens to be that she is standing on the door as she searches for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius…

The skeletal goblins rush through the fog likely children running through piles of leaves. Unfortunately for you these are not children that can be appeases with a few copper coins or a tasty treat of huckleberry pie from the market. No, these are the children of the unliving, and the only thing that will appease them is to see your flesh stripped away and your body torn apart. You hear a muffled “thud” and see the fog shift and spread wide momentarily near the first undead goblin as if a blanket had been dropped. Before you can react the undead creature comes at you with both razor claws reached out before it. Surprisingly it doesn’t attack but tries to get a hold you. The second undead goblin, with a shortsword in one boney hand and baring a shield in its other comes charging out of the hidden room and tries to knock you over as it bashes into you with its shield.

 

 

Opposed Grapple Strength Check DC10

the undead goblin manages to get a hold of you and digs it claws into your right arm for 1 points of damage

Read upon Failed Check or Spoiler

 

Opposed Overrun Check DC17

the undead goblin slammed into you as you awkwardly try to adjust your stance, you left knee buckles with the impact and shortly afterwards your face is planted flat across the stone floor. After plowing over you the undead goblin moves past your position and turns to look down at you from where it stands (E10). If you failed the previous Grapple Check then your still grappling with the first undead goblin, if you won the previously mentioned Grapple Check, then your now laying on the floor between them!

Read upon Failed Check or Spoiler

 

 

Kurith…

After inquiring to Eligos of the extent of his magical reservoir and searching for the trapdoor, you hear something from the hallway and move to check it out. You hear a faint creak coming from beyond the door 10ft down the hallway (Door to the left of J5). You pickup that smell of decay once more and glance down the hallway, looking back up the hallway facing you is another of the burly Hobgoblins zombies (H4).

 

 

Eligos…

You take a step toward the window as you try and make heads or tails of what has transpired this night. Looking out the window you catch a brief glimpse of movement, but perhaps it was just a trick of the night cascading off the fog, which seem to be covering all of Waterdeep from your point of view. Seeing as the High Road is over a 100ft across, its not likely you spot anyone, even with your darkvision you can only see to about the halfway point of the High Road. You note your breath against the window as you lean in, the temperature must have drop, but by how much is unknown for you to even determine as you don't feel the temperture change, perhaps its simply from all the excitment that you haven't noticed.

 

 

Tempest…

You wave at the fog over the crate which turns out to be no more then a footlocker. It looks as someone has already ruffled through it. There are a couple pieces of clothing hanging over the sides. The bed is also in a similar state.

 

 

Rothgar…

The call of a mans voice breaks across the tension of the moment as you rise to ATTACK the Hobgoblin zombie. Your axe bites deep into its chest as it turns to your attack and the mans voice. You pull your ancestral weapon free, leaving a gaping wound in its place. As the gore falls from your waraxe, the Hobgoblin swings it blade in an arc which bites deep into your left leg. Its stench rifles through your nose from being so close to it from its recent attack. You push the undead carcass away before it can do any further damage with its blade still biting into your flesh. The creature lets out a moan which sounds deafening for a moment until you realize its your own blood pumping because of your wound. You suspect had you not push the creature away, it could have maimed you for life.

 

You steel yourself making sure to keep your shield hefted up between you. As you make ready for another assault you spot another of the disgusting creatures, along with a pair of shorter creatures which run along just beneath the Effluvium. These smaller creatures make for the exit, you see part of a wooden bow breaking the surface of the Effluvium like the fin of a shark upon the sea, then they are gone as they exit the Underdark. The second Hobgoblin zombie (C6) lumbers over to assist the first. In its hand isn’t another pitted blade but a Dwarven waraxe. Only to one of Dwarven blood such as yourself could hope to identify the runes across the Dwarven Waraxe which it bears at waist height. The ancestral weapon of clan Irongullet now rest in the hands of an undead abomination.

 

 

Rothgar's Damage Spoiler

Rothgar takes 9 points of damage, failed Confirmed Crit Roll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sluggish from the poison and the blow on the head, it takes Tempest severals moments to process the scene. Then it finally clicks. "They are after something," she hisses to Eligos and Kurith. "Something that was hidden..." her voices trails off as she glances down towards the fog-concealed floor and the hidden trapdoor Kurith is searching for. And I led them right to it. Tempest's pale blue complexion darkens and becomes tinged with purple as she seethes at her foolish error.

 

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius manages to push the unarmed goblin away in time to steady himself a bit for the collision with the other one. He puts his shoulder down, and drives his legs, connecting solidly with the wooden shield. The goblin is hurled backwards to land on its back five feet away.

 

His mind reeling with what has happened the last few seconds, the ranger does the only thing he can think of. He takes a quick step backward, away from unarmed goblin, and strings his bow, knowing that his other weapons will be useless down here.

 

Glancing in the direction of the large shadow he addressed before, he yells, "Hey! Get your big orky butt over here an' help me with these vermin!"

 

 

 

 

[OOC] Grapple check: 1d20(9)+5(grapple mod)-2(shaken)=12. Opposed Overrun check: 1d20(15)+4(Dex bonus)-2(shaken)=17. Darius is now in square E10. [/OOC]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While still looking for the trapdoor, Kurith hears yet more noises from the corridor. She takes a quick glance over her shoulder to see Eligos peering out the window rather than keeping watch on the door. Meanwhile, Tempest is looking around the room and talking aloud..apparently to herself mostly.

 

Muttering something rude under her breath, Kurith stands and walks to the door to investigate the new noise.

 

The smell of zombie hobgoblin fills her nose, and moments later, the owner of the smell emerges from one of the other rooms off the corridor.

 

"Hobgoblin comin'!", Kurith calls out to the others, then steps back out into the hallway to face the abomination.

 

Not needing to guess the zombie's motives, Kurith runs straight at it, axe brandished and ready for more mayhem. It almost appears to be oblivious to the half-orc stepping toward it with her axe wound back ready to attack, but when Kurith finally takes a swing at the foul creature, it shambles to one side and misses what surely would have been a grievous wounding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At Kurith's announcement of more enemies nearby, Tempest galvanizes herself into action. Her anger rising, Tempest barks out "essere la mia protezione!" A faint disc-like area shimmers in front of her the moment she finishes the incantation, then disappears from view. She retrieves another ash-and-silver wand from her bandoleer, this one slightly less refined and bearing fewer runes on its surface. Following Kurith into the hallway with her wand held at the ready, she adds, "let the hunters become the hunted."

 

 

 

[standard action: cast Shield. Free Action: draw 1st level Wand of Magic Missiles from the bandoleer. Movement action: move from M2 to J4]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing Kurith's warning, Eligos prepares himself for another attack. He clears the troubling thoughts that are clouding his mind with a deep steady breath and focuses on the creature that Kurith is charging hoping for some kind of an opening where he won't hit the half-orc by mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eligos…

Turning from the window you move into the hallway just outside the door entrance (L4) just in time to see the undead Hobgoblin raise it weapon to attack Kurith. You eye Tempest as she rotates a ash-and-silver wand in her hand between her fingers as she stands in anticipation of releasing its power upon the undead creature.

 

 

Tempest…

You quickly give Eligos a glance before following Kurith into the hallway where another confrontation with more of the undead await. As you come up behind her you see that her attack against the shambling abomination misses. For a moment you wonder at the extent of her combat powess for missing her mark against such a burly brute in the small hallway.

 

 

Kurith…

You turn your nose up at your companions, there lack of fighting capabilities perhaps wearing a bit thin on you. Had you not made it up the trapdoor on your own, you wonder if the pair would have simply left you to your own fate! You step into the corridor already accepting your assigned task, though the taste of it in your mouth is quite bitter, for you’ve never relished being thought of as a meat shield.

 

The weapon in your hand almost pulses as you swing at the unliving Hobgoblin. Its keen edge now embedded into the wooden wall after your ill poised attack. You speculate as to whether it was this repugnant atrocity before you that avoided your strike that would have cleaved it’s head from its torso or was it from the building frustration of the evenings trials, which have already left you with several minor wounds and a pair of spellcasters which you hesitantly believe you’d exchange for a healing potion right about now, or at the least for a new pair of leather boots. Oh, how you long for the comforts of the Sailor Corner once more!

 

You pull your weapon free in time to clash it against the oncoming blade of the Hobgoblin zombie and bash the rusted metal aside. As if in frustration the Hobgoblin zombie lets out a low moan, its stench races into you face.

 

 

Darius…

Once more the undead goblins come at you. The mouth of the first one drops open as if to let out a scream but not a sound bellows forth. It moves (D10) up to you and tries to get a hold once more.

 

You hear the scrapping of metal on stone for a brief moment and watch as the second undead goblin gets to its feet. It moves to your left (D9), it boney arm springs forth from beneath the Effluvium, in its hand is the shortsword. For a passing moment you suspect that it’s another trick of the Effluvium, for right before your eyes the shortsword transforms into a small Viper. You have more than enough woodland knowledge to know what’s at stake and what your up against. The Viper hisses at you as if sensing your thoughts. As if you didn’t already have enough to deal with.

 

A moment ago you heard a deep ringing chime that is now starting to dissipate, and emanated from where you saw the form that you believe to be Kurith bathed in a pale fiery glow. As you heard its low moan, you knew you’ve stepped into a pile of dung for sure. The form wasn’t the companion you thought you were calling out to, but a creature with patches of molted reddish-brown fur and pale skin. Now you have an additional problem to deal with!

 

 

Darius makes an Attack of Opportunity

the goblin racks your left arm for 3 points of damage.

Read if AOO misses or dealt 5 or less points of damage or Spoiler

 

Opposed Grapple Check DC12

the undead goblin manages to get a hold of you and digs its claw into your right arm for 2 points of damage.

Read upon failed Check or Spoiler

 

 

Rothgar…

The first hobgoblin zombie butts its shield against yours as it slashes with its longsword, you brace yourself and take the blow upon your shield. Its companion step to your right (B6) and you hear the table scrape a bit against the stone floor. The second hobgoblin not accustomed to fighting with the dwarven waraxe pulls back and bumps its arm against the support beam behind it, it’s a shoddy attack at best which you easy dodge.

 

Rothgar grimaces as the hobgoblin's attack is absorbed by his shield, his arm tingling from the impact. Between clenched teeth, Rothgar shouts to the voice from the meeting room, "I'm not that orky butt you're looking for, but if you're not feeling too picky, I may be available to lend a hand." Rothgar keeps a wary eye on the hobgoblins while he shifts his weight until he recognizes the Irongullet axe. Time seems to freeze as rage begins to cloud his judgement.

 

That axe!!! You shall rue the day you ever layed a claw upon my family, I will split your rotted skull in twain! No, I must not lose control. I will not do the Effluvium's work for it!!! If I fall, there is not another to avenge the blood which has been spilled upon my hearth. The Effluvium will have to work for my soul. Keep me on the true path Marthammor!

 

Time crashes back to normal as the rage subsides from Rothgar's features and the predatory gleam again returns. He begins to shift his weight, balanced on the balls of his feet. First to his left, then in front, back and forth, back and forth, suddenly striking! His waraxe becomes a whirlwind between the hobgoblins. The hobgoblin to his left (C7) absorbs and deflects the blow off its longsword, some vestige of martial skill still firing in its rotten brain. The hobgoblin before Rothgar (B6) takes no notice of the oncoming blow as it shears off the edge of the table Rothgar just realizes has been moved into his way. A litany of Dwarven curses explodes from Rothgar's lips, commenting on the birth of the Hobgoblin race. Despite his tirade, Rothgar continues to keep a close eye on the hobgoblin to his left. Although not ignoring the hobgoblin before him, Rothgar has already once felt the bite of the hobgoblin's longsword. A silent prayer to the Dwarven gods gets sent, hoping a family axe will not be forced to taste Dwarven blood.

 

Full round action: Whirlwind Attack. Nominate hobgoblin at C7 for Dodge bonus to AC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the slim second it took her to dislodge her axe from the wall, Kurith imagined her own unheroic death in a dark corridor in a dwarven-owned inn. After all she had been through, a single lowly hobgoblin zombie would gut her with its rusty sword and leave her to bleed to death while the other two made their arcane attacks from a nice safe distance. She would be just another dead half-orc to be hauled away to the city's pauper cemetary to be buried like garbage with all the other drunks, beggers and whores. Neither Red-boy or Blue-lady would even bother to pick up her axe. They were mages and would have no use for what they would probably only percieve to be a barbarian's weapon. they would never know what she had found. It might be years or decades beforel the axe might find its next rightful owner, and when it does, it would only remember Kurith to them for her part in slaying one skeleton goblin.

 

"No..not today.", Kurith says to herself, gripping her axe tightly and shutting her mind to any more thoughts of her demise. She had freed her axe from the wall just in time to parry the zombie's sword, and now she sets her mind upon everything she still has to live for..like seeing the snow-peaked mountains of the North once more..or another taste of Gnomish brew..or finally getting to strangle Thor with his own beard..or a good hard romp up in her room with Traug, who worked at one of the warehouses not-too-far from Sailor's Corner.

 

She swings with all her might.

 

"Kegur busuk bodoh...rakh dakahi tahi dan khegu.. laknat rakh jadah ... Tempus laknat rakh.. Luthic laknat rakh... Di-Bhaga-Jaga laknat rakh-...BETAGHIKH!"

 

Even for those who do not speak orcish, the volume and intensity with which Kurith intones the subsequent string of execrations leaves no doubt to her displeasure with the attack's outcome.

 

____

 

Kurith's curse, translated

 

"Smelly stupid corpse..you eat s**t and die..curse you bastard..Tempus curse you..Luthic curse you..He-Who-Watches curse you... F**K!"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Tempest was unsure of Kurith's prowess as a warrior before, she is doubly so now after her second missed swing in as many attempts at the zombie. She chides herself momentarily, just because Kurith is a stocky half-orc, does not mean that she can fight. Deciding that this obstacle needs to be overcome quickly, she transfers the wand to her left hand, points at the zombie with her right, and cries out, "portare la luce!" Two bolts of brilliant blue-white energy streak from her finger tip, impacting into the zombie. It rocks back from the impact of the twin missiles, but the energy of the attack is insufficient to return the creature to death's embrace. Still, Tempest is satisfied with the results; perhaps the tiefling or the half-orc can finish it off quickly, she concludes.

 

 

[Move equivalent action: transfer wand to left hand. Standard action: cast magic missile for (2d4+2=8 points) of damage.]

 

 

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before Rothgar recovers from his failed attacks, the longsword wielding Hobgoblin presses its advantage, slamming Rothgar's exposed left shoulder with its shield to knock him off balance. Rothgar absorbs the blow with a grimace and sweeps his shield low, anticipating the attack with the longsword aimed for his exposed spine and vitals. Rothgar feels the point of the longsword dig into the shield and then screech along the Mithril as his shield deflects the potentially fatal thrust. Using the momentum from swinging his shield, he rotates his hips and delivers a brutal overhand blow that shears through the hobgoblin's rotten flesh at the shoulder, smashing through the sternum and lodging in the monster's spinal cord. A deep ringing chime echoes through the tavern and the hobgoblin's corpse is wreathed in the same flames that Rothgar's axe is now sheathed in. Rothgar is carried forward with the force of the blow into the space the hobgoblin used to occupy. With a sickening wrench, Rothgar frees his axe, which forces the twice-dead hobgoblin to fall in a heap of flaming gore at his feet. Rothgar turns, bits of hobgoblin splashed on his armor and gore dripping from his flame wreathed axe as he faces the Hobgoblin wielding the Irongullet family axe. He growls low in his throat as he repositions his shield and tightens his grip on his waraxe. Snarling, Rothgar again calls to the voice in the meeting room. "If you want some help Ork lover, make your way to the door. These things are coming in and out from the main entrance! If we can't bar that door we don't know how many more we're going to have to face. Now move your arse!"

 

 

Standard action: Power Attack to Hobgoblin (C7) - Fatal. Move action: 5ft step into C7. Transfer Dodge bonus to Hobgoblin in B6. AC for B6 = 20, any other attacks AC = 19. All allies within 30ft (all of us) have +1 to hit, +1 to saves vs Fear next round.

 

Edited by Qwyksilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the little buggers come at him again, Darius just has time to fire off an arrow at one. At this range, it's hard to miss, and he puts one right in the eye socket of the one grabbing at him. It isn't enough to keep the goblin off of him, though, and its claws dig into his arm, drawing a howl of pain from the ranger.

 

"Bloody hell!" he screams, and tries to throw the goblin off him. "Kurith! Hel..." his plea falters off as he looks up at the figure he thought was a half-orc. Its rotten, decaying flesh can only mean one thing. Zombie! Oh, I am sooo @#!&ed now!

 

"If you want some help Ork lover, make your way to the door. These things are coming in and out from the main entrance! If we can't bar that door we don't know how many more we're going to have to face. Now move your arse!"

 

 

This new voice startles Darius, and gives him a little hope. That doesn't sound like a zombie! "Hey! Whoever you are! I can't make my way to the door just yet, I'm having a wrestle with some goblin skeletons at the moment," he answers the voice. "How 'bout you coming over here?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

[OOC] AoO: 1d20(19) +8 (bow attack modifier) +1 (Point Blank Shot) -2 (low ceiling) = 26. Damage: 1d8(3) +1 (composite longbow) +1 (Point Blank Shot) = 5. Opposed Grapple: 1d20(5) +5 (grapple mod) = 10. Grapple Check (to break grapple): 1d20(7) +5 = 12. [/OOC]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...