Sign in to follow this  
moloche

Tough and Stunned

yeah that's what I thought, but Qwyk said prevention of defensive strikes against the stunned models wasn't the reason. So I'm confused.

yeah that's what I thought, but Qwyk said prevention of defensive strikes against the stunned models wasn't the reason. So I'm confused.

I was being as clear as mud.

Yes, they avoid the Defensive Strikes, but that wasn't the primary purpose of holding off on Tough checks, just a benefit. It was to allow them to perform their actions AFTER the combat is over, so they could move through the spaces occupied by downed enemies, perform the CdG, etc. Avoiding DS is an added benefit, not the primary purpose.

well why could they not do the exact same thing if they take the tough check before combat? I truly don't get it. Is there a rule that requires a model in B2B to attack?

well why could they not do the exact same thing if they take the tough check before combat? I truly don't get it. Is there a rule that requires a model in B2B to attack?

If the stunned models are blocking the friendly models from attacking or were previously in B2B with the enemy, it would be better to keep them down until attacks are over so that they don't block the friendlies.

I also tend to roll tough checks after the heal and war cry attempts (if needed) when playing the Tomukh sub list.

Ron

No, but there are rules for Models acting when in b2b with an enemy model, like movement being stopped, making discipline checks to leave b2b, being a target of Defensive Strikes, etc.

Having those enemy models stunned or dead, means I don't have to make Discipline checks, and a path is likely cleared for those Stunned guys to now get up and do something.

yeah but if he got up before combat, and then just did nothing while the other guys killed the enemy he could still CdG and run along like if he'd stayed down till after the combat right (assuming they didn't kill him with defensive strikes)?

Hehe, I think that pictures with annotations would help here.

If he is blocking or in base to base when he gets up, the other guys might not be able to get into B2B to kill the enemy if he gets up before combat.

Ron

Personally, I tend to favor the reasoning of "if I do my tough check after combat, I prevent the enemy from dumping a defensive strike into the model that just got up."

Here are my reasons:

1) it's easier to hit a model on its last track than it is to hit a damaged or fresh model - so it's giving them a better chance of "guaranteed damage" if I bring the tough models up.

2) if I prevent them from taking any defensive strikes, my opponent must spend attacks on HIS activation on the model that got up - instead of using my own actions. I think this reason is what dominates most of my decisions to leave a model down until combat is over. I just like the idea of forcing the enemy to kill a guy a second time on his own activation. Otherwise, all he'd need to do was Coup de Grace the re-stunned model - now he has to hit it again, plus CdG it.

Of course, I don't always leave the model laying down. Often I bring it up so it can participate in the combat.

Another reason for this will be fighting Darkspawn.

If you make your Tough checks after combat, they may fail and give your opponent Pain tokens, but those same tokens wouldn't help everything else you've killed that activation already. :devil:

This has really torqued our local Darkspawn player more than once, especially since I play Crypt Legion (Hurray Dark Energy!)

Jareth