Help me think of some fantasy artists

Krztoff

The wife and I are turning one bedroom in our apartment into a dedicated gaming/hobby area (EDIT: there'll be a corner filled with her Mary Kay inventory in big white plastic drawer carts... Not a fan of white drawer carts at all, but a necessary evil for cheap storage...). A dedicated gaming/hobby area needs sweet fantasy artwork! We're definitely going to get some Ruth Thompson stuff, and I looked at Nene Thomas' stuff and think it's pretty cool, too. The prices for both of those artists are pretty decent. Then I looked at some Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell work, and found some prints that would be *perfect*, but for a good sized print they want $100-150! It was $50 for just an 8" x 10"! The largest Ruth Thompson stuff I want isn't that much!

What can you folks recommend that is both really cool, and decently priced? Any place online that would have a big selection of quality fantasy posters would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

-Chris (and Ris will be thankful too)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If'n 8x10" is what you are looking for, get one of the art books and GASP, cut all the pages out, matte or frame or both & you've got a ton o' art for $50.00 total...

Yes, no? Or make some stencils and have an artsy-fantasy-ee border?

Once I get all my storage in the hobby room is when I'll start thinkin' about the art... :upside:

That would work for 8" x 10", but we're really looking for bigger stuff. I just gave the 8" x 10" price for Vallejo prints as an example of how much they're charging for something that isn't even very big. The stuff I'm looking at is like 25" x 11.5", 11" x 17", 16" x 22.5", etc, up to poster sized.

Okee - how about this: try the words "Fantasy Lithograph" in your favorite search engine or e-bay? and you may find some ok priced stuff that's a bit larger... Last I checked it is frequently used as a fancy word for poster that gets more hits....

(her Mary Kay inventory will also be there, but we'll pretend it isn't for the purposes of coolness).

hmmm...wow.....yeah....thanks for the support.

Yeah, that made me sound like a jerk.

I didn't mean the Mary Kay inventory itself, which is cool (the lotion can beat my ultra dry skin), I was referring to the storage system... White drawer carts. A lone white drawer cart mixed with other stuff is fine, but there are like three of them that'll be in a corner, and I just can't stand the soulless sterile feel of them. I've offered (and she accepted) to take that Krylon fusion stuff (spray paint made for plastics) and take the drawers out and spray the frame part hot pink (is as fitting for Mary Kay). Yes, I prefer hot pink over white. I just can't stand white in large quantities, it's just so blah.

here's a list

http://www.fantasy-artists.co.uk/fantasy-artists.shtml

I used to have a list from Wiki, but couldn't find it quickly.

The print prices will vary greatly----depending on the artist, the paper used, the type of printing (litho vs giclee', for example)---

And to put my own plug in here---

I'm currently an artist in training...if you're looking for some CHEAP commission stuff.... ::D: I'm always looking for a reason to do a project....and I've been told that some of my stuff is worthy of a wall-hanger....

Luis Royo is an excellent artist and if you do a search you will find a lot of his prints available at reasonable prices. He is one of the premier Sci Fi/ Fantasy artists out there right now and has hundreds of book covers to his credit. In my opinion his work blows most of the other guys out of the water. I would include links but I can't get to any of them from work.

Another good source for smaller pictures are the "Jumbo Cards" that they put out from time to time. About 8x10 or so, and they vary from assorted artists to series dedicated to a specific artist or setting. I've got a hundred or so of them that I am going to use for a wall in the game room once I get to that point with it.

Looks like most of them were called Colossal Cards...Elmore, Caldwell, Bell, Vallejo...a bunch more. eBay has bunches of them...cheap.

If you're looking for other artists names, don't forget to browse Magic cards (and/or other collectible card games) for the art styles you like. Almost all of those cards have the artist's name on them, and a quick google search should turn up what they have available. A lot of the better known artists these days got a big career boost thanks to Magic - I wouldn't have the first clue who Nene Thomas is without having been exposed to her work through Magic (well, that, and meeting the lady when she signed some of my Magic cards - she's very nice, and appears to be the model for a lot of her artwork).

Speaking of Nene, one of the last few times I was in Attactix in Aurora, CO, they had some of her artwork for sale, already matted, and at decent prices. I won't get back over there for at least a month to check for you, but you might ask Heisler if he could look for you - he's been there just about every time I've visited, so I know he's in there a lot. There are probably a couple other CO people around here who go in there more frequently than I, too.

You might also find some of your lesser known local artists at local game stores and cons, and maybe even craft and street fairs as well.