Help me sell my soul to Unspeakable Darkness (aka GW)

warlordgarou

The draw of GW for me is the moddability of the figures for Space Marines. You can pose those suckers in a whole bunch of different ways, from what I've seen thus far. I haven't bought any of the figs yet, due to cash flow issues, but when I do, I'll probably have a custom SM chapter with all the stuff I like in it: beaky heads, kneeling heavy weapons teams, etc.

The thing I don't like about it so far are the fluff judges. "You can't have that painted that way because it's not in the backstory." I know that's part of the rigidity of the SM lore, but man, if someone wants to paint yellow Marines and call them something, let them!

If I showed up to play and had someone refuse to let me use my models because it doesn't fit with their interpretation of the rules, I'd be miffed.

If I ever play, I'll be relying heavily on the "this counts as that" rule. I can't see sinking hundreds of dollars inot various incarnations of the same model, for every possible variation. I've read this in respect to Tyranids. People who buy 6 different Carnifexes (Carnifi?) so they can have a unique model to show each possible weapon combo. That's INSANE.

I'm thinking of maybe doing a Legion of the Damned chapter, but without the skulls and fire motif. Just well-painted standard Marines with various battle damage conversions (great examples on the GW site). *shrug*

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I don't like about it so far are the fluff judges. "You can't have that painted that way because it's not in the backstory." I know that's part of the rigidity of the SM lore, but man, if someone wants to paint yellow Marines and call them something, let them!

If I showed up to play and had someone refuse to let me use my models because it doesn't fit with their interpretation of the rules, I'd be miffed.

If I decide to go marines, I'd be tempted to make up my own chapter, paint scheme, etc. And if someone gives me grief, hand them a photocopy of the old RT fluff, where it talks about the 1000 chapters of the space marines.

(I wonder whatever happened to my old, as in original release, Terminator? I know I have some of the older stuff for marines and Orks. . . . )

I'm pretty sure there is no "rule" that you HAVE to use the schemes presented in the Codex, etc. GW has always encouraged custom schemes and the like. Just have to be bog standard Marines though...

Damon, who also notes the Eldar codex does the same...

N, there are no rules against specific colours. Even the Necrons have colour variations. Hell, just look at the old Rainbow Warrior Marine chapter - use your imagination! :blink: Pretty much the only colours that are not 'Marine like'... is camo!

That said, there are cannonical norms - no female Marines, etc. However, most players should be open to 'your own ideas'... right?

N, there are no rules against specific colours. Even the Necrons have colour variations. Hell, just look at the old Rainbow Warrior Marine chapter - use your imagination! :blink: Pretty much the only colours that are not 'Marine like'... is camo!

That said, there are cannonical norms - no female Marines, etc. However, most players should be open to 'your own ideas'... right?

Then canon has changed. I have at least one, probably more, female space marines. I've always contemplated trolling ebay and trying to buy up enough for a full tac squad of them.

Well, I stopped by the F-NotSoL-GS tonight, and, according to the guys there, there are pickup games of 40k almost every day of the week. Sundays are mainly campaign games (which takes 2k in painted figs), but it sounds like finding regular games won't be much of a problem. I guess I should start thinking about an army then.. . .

I was avoiding WH40K for years as well but if you want to play, you have to admit that there is a pool of players almost everywhere that knows GW games. In the Seattle area there was noone I could find to play Warlord, except my son who is conscripted in to the games. We love the Reaper miniatures and use them as surogates in WH. In the games clubs we founded we had that latitude to use what we wanted to, but when we go to GW Stores or events (Auburn, WA, Katy Mills, TX, Seattle, WA or Bellingham WA) we have to play by their rules. Now we are in SE Texas and GW games rule the roost. I avoid CCGs, and there is some Heroclix games in the area but the only clix game I like is Horrorclix. I have been able to play in tournaments here with up to 18 players and money prizes.

So I faced the choice of army issue as well. I am a Lizardman or Bretonnian player in fantasy. But in 40K I have wanted to try the Tau. I actually have Dark Eldar (because they came with the last edition box set and I traded the space marines in the set to a game group member for his Dark Eldar) and really don't like them. I have a Witch HUnter group and they are adequately balanced. My son has the Necrons and we like them but with the C'tan they are quite beardy. And really not that versatile, few unit types and little modification potential.

Why the Tau, I like the healthy feeling of the army. I admit I play an army because I like the story backgrounds and the reason the army fights. For me that identification with the army helps me use it better. But the Witch Hunters can work that way for me as well.

I've started downthe road of massing myself a small Space Marines force. Probably max out at 1000 points or so. I've gotten the rulebook, codex and my first tactical squad all for about half of retail. Waiting on another secondhand batch of tac Marines to arrive. They'll test my paint stripping abilities, no doubt!

I went Marines for the background, and because I was in the Marines for four years. idenifying with the army I chose.

Well, in that case, you'd probably be better off with Imperial Guard, since they're the most directly analogous to the moder day soldier; for Marines, probably an Armored Fist army. Space Marines are genetically modified ubermench, 7' tall, two hearts, poison spitting, etc. Still, they're a good starter army and you'll have fun with them.

IG is too much like the actual US Army. I was a Marine, not a doggie! ( ;) to all the Army vets here.)

Ooh rah. I tried to figure some way to make IG less 'army' and more 'Marine Corp' and the only thing I could come up with was to make them drop troops. It is more akin to amphibious assault and relies more on infantry and walkers.

I also thought about an inquisitorial force based around stormtroopers which would be more specialized.

1345 Heavy Junker...

I'm a 32 year old war gaming newbie. BTech,CAV,Steel something,Mage Knight,a homegrown army game using plastic minis from drugstores back in high school,a just-for-fun fantasy wargame featuring minis such as orcish crack dealers and elvish hookers. Not too much experience really.

Every now and then I hit a GW store for paint. I like variety in my painting (mis)adventures and GW is convenient for me. I've checked out the minis and knew a guy who played,but have never tried out the game. I've spent time online trolling the boards and always chuckle at the venom that's doled out to GW,War Hammer 40K,etc.

Today I went in looking for some paint,black,yellow and a few others. As usual,as soon as I walked in I was grilled about what I was painting,playing,etc. Today it was a female(a first).We talked briefly;comics,but mostly GW products. It was,as always, irritating after about a minute. Between her nattering,little kiddies running around,salestools explaining the greatness of this product and that product and the temperature of the place it was almost enough to make me want to kill.Throughout the whole time I was in there the female kept up a running one sided conversation about paints,armies,books,supplements,what I play,what I'm doing today,blah blah blah. Even as I was paying. As I was leaving!!!

Anytime I even think about trying out a GW game I think about my increasingly infrequent trips to their kiddietraps.

And then I come to my senses.