Finally, I've gotten a hold of decent paint!

72moonglum

Hi guys,

It's taken about three years but I've finally made the plunge and bought some Reaper paints and got rid of my old craft paints. Hopefully it's made some kind of difference. The next step for me might actually be basing and flocking my figures if I can bring myself to become so daring! In any case, this isn't a Reaper figure, but it is painted by all Reaper paints, so I guess this is okay. This is an old Grenadier miniature sculpted by Julie Guthrie, a very talented Reaper sculptress. It's a dwarven priestess. Please let me know what you think of the paint job and if it still looks textured or grainy. I'm really watering down my paints, but who knows, that has always been my biggest problem.

Thanks,

Mark

post-1758-1190779641_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A well designed base will enhance your already stellar painting ::D:

Just be careful when delving into base-fu... the supplies multiply like rabbits when you're not looking (and your cats might steal any tree armatures you have sitting on your desk, I know mine are having a blast with mine <_< ). But it is fun! Most fun I've had in the past week was the hour or two I spent playing with all my basing supplies the other night before I went to work. ::D:

I love my MSP's. I also love my Craft paints. Ditching them isn't an option as I use them for painting up and drybrushing basing, and for getting that just-right color sometimes that I don't have/cannot get with my MSP's. The trick to making craft paints work for you is the additives you add to them with water. I have a specific gunk mixture that's meant for my Craft paints. It's something like 3 parts water to one part flow improver and one part retarder. It's been a while since I've had to mix some up so my memory may have failed me on the exact ratio.

The mini: Nice work on the robe. Also here on the Reaper forums they don't care what company's minis you post as this area is all about sharing ideas and techniques and helping others out.

Hei all, thanks for the nice comments, you're truly inspiring me to practice the ancient art of base-fu. I actually last week had a little tub of static grass in my grubby little paws and almost bought it for this model but then chickened out. Next time I get to the hobby store I'll pick it up. Is it best to use store bought stuff, or does stuff out of your cabinets and spices work well too? And thanks about not minding if I post non-Reaper stuff. Even though I'm pretty enamored with all things Reaper, my real little obsession seems to be older minis way out of circulation. I just got some more Heritage miniatures a few weeks ago and think they will be my next little guinea pigs, not to mention all the hordes of Grenadier stuff I got off E-Bay!