Finally, I've gotten a hold of decent paint!

72moonglum

Okay, I'm off to take my kid to soccer practice and while I'm waiting I'm going to go to the hobby store and get some static grass. Here's my question: before I put on the static grass, do I paint under it a dirt color or a grass color?

Brown if you want it to look tufty or sparse. (I like this type myself, over 'soil' as Fieldarchy says.) Green for a really thick meadow or golf green look. You can highlight the grass itself to get some slightly different colors, too.

Nice work! I have a few of Julie's old figures, too, that I'll paint up some year...

--Jen

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Legion, yes I am a baseaphobe, but I'm trying to overcome this fear. I just got back from the store on my way home and now I have corn meal, and last night while walking the dog, much to my wife's incredulous stares, I was collecting sand from the street and putting it in a sandwich baggie. Last night I put green putty around my mini and stuck her to one of those funky circular bases, so hopefully this weekend I'll have time to do the "nature" stuff.

Okay, hopefully the picture turns out okay. I've finally done my first complete base, which I think is reasonably all right. I used corn meal first, and painted it earth tones, then added a few pieces of sand for stones, and then used some burnt grass to complete it. Comments and criticisms welcome!

post-1758-1191372831_thumb.jpg

Hi Cerridwyn1st,

I've got lots of different minis on this site. If you check under Moonglum or Grenadier as a key word you'll find some. Here's the last miniature I painted with craft paints, a Ral Partha Hyborean Age female thief from 1977 that I purchased from classicminiatures.net. I think I can see a bit of a difference in the skin, but judge for yourself.

post-1758-1191463781_thumb.jpg

Nice. You even made her baseball gloves look like hands!

I thought your original base was fine and very suited to a dwarf. You know me, I can get pretty elaborate with bases.

However, the new base is even better. I don't think my static grass looks that good. Any tips?

Hey, do I know you?

I was just about to tell you to come over and look on the Reaper site to see the Dwarf chick on a "proper" base, Madog, but had to go take my dog for a walk and got distracted!

I was looking at your swamp base tutorial, too, by the way, and it's very nice. I've also now found that once I've made just one single base I'm now looking at the ground to see potential "baseness". I'm working right now on an old Heritage Djinn that I hope to have done soon, and I need to start looking for inspiration!

I'm liking this static grass thing too, but I kind of wonder about the red pieces it has. It know it's scorched grass, but I don't know if it's an enhancement or just a distraction.

In all this new base obsessiveness, I'm also scaring myself, because I'm thinking of new grass colors I need to buy instead of what new miniatures I want to get. Very scary, say I.....

As far as tips, I just used half Elmers and half water, threw the whole miniature in a sandwich baggie full of the grass, and then when I pulled her out, I hung her upsidedown for a few minutes. I did it in a few go's, not all at once.