Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Must-have RMS colors/triads?

Hey there folks,

If you found yourself with roughly $40 in store credit over at Paizo's website and wanted to spend it on RMS colors and/or triads, which ones would you pick, assuming you have very few bottles of Reaper paints to start with?

Thanks,

Kang

Knowing what you already have would be helpful. Also, what you are planning to paint in the near future helps too, because you're looking for paints you would need now, versus paints you might be able to purchase a few months down the road.

You only save $0.01 buying a triad ($8.06) vs buying 3 bottles individually ($8.07), so there probably isn't a huge reason to buy triads unless you want all three colors. (unless Paizo has some sort of shipping based on # items instead of wgt).

You have $40, so if you're willing to spend a little out of pocket, you can pick yourself up 15 bottles of paint for $40.35, plus S/H.

Does depend a bit on what you are painting. For example, if you are painting humans, then the skin triads are great. But, if you only paint orcs, the skin triads aren't particularly helpful, but the Olive Greens triad is.

Some of my favorites are:

• the liner colors (at least Brown, others depending on what color schemes that you use.
  • Off Whites Triad
  • Walnut Brown (a very, very dark almost black brown)
  • Ivory Bone Triad
  • Bone Triad
  • Brush On Primer (White or Black)
  • Brush On Sealer
  • Bloddthirsty Reds Triad
  • Burnt Colors Triad (good for leather)
  • Skin Triads (take your pick)

Ron

From http://www.reapermini.com/pdf/CW18_PaintLikeMaster.pdf

WHERE TO START

But wait! What would be the best colors to pick up, just as a sampler, or if you're trying to decide to buy in? Well, the paints are organized according to triads. Most of these are a selection of midtone, shadow, and highlight; others are triads of "related colors" such as the set of off-whites, or the liner colors. Nonetheless, this doesn't mean you need to pick up three paints if you really only want one! You can buy the triads packaged in blister form, true, but you can also feel free to pick and choose, mix and match just like you would with any other paint line. The triads are just there to make things a little easier if you want to save time or just don't feel like dealing with color choices at the moment!

If you would like to pick up five or ten colors just to try the paint out and explore its properties, we recommend the following color sets:

BASIC FIVE: Pure White-9039, Pure Black-9037, Blood Red-9003, Tanned Skin-9044, Honed Steel-9053

BASIC TEN: the above FIVE plus Antique Gold-9050, Muddy Brown-9028, Sunlight Yellow-9008, Sapphire Blue-9016, Pine Green-9010

GOOD ADD-ONS: Burgundy Wine-9025, Nightshade Purple-9022, Twilight Blue-9020, Tanned Leather-9031, Muddy Olive-9034

Sounds like good advice to me.

Aha! I knew I'd seen a list of suggested "starter" paints somewhere... Spent at least 1/2 hour scouring the boards for it; figures it was in that CW. D'Oh! Thanks for the link & quote, Ghaz. This helps, though I'm still eager to hear what others would choose as well. So on to clarifying my OP for Qwyksilver, Vutpakdi, and anyone else who might care to chime in...

As for what I normally paint, there's really no set type of creature; I'm not building an army or anything - I buy minis that just look cool to me, sometimes for use as my PC's/BBEG's in the D&D campaigns I play/DM. I maybe buy more monsters than humanoids, but I've got plenty of both at home unpainted, some dating back to the 80's and possibly beyond. I am interested in eventually trying my hand at NMM though if that helps (maybe if people could note which of their suggestions are good for this?). Now that I finally got my membership vaildated, maybe I'll get out my camera soon and put up some pix of my not-that-bad-for-craft-paints stuff in the show off and WIP sections... (OK, I have a very few dried up old pots of GW too, but mostly straight outta Michael's)

As far as RMS paints I already have are concerned, I can't guarantee all the names are right, but I'll give it a whirl:

- bone triad

- twilight triad

- warm greens triad

- neutral colors (ie. black/white/grey) triad

- one of the dark brown colors, not sure which but possibly walnut or muddy <edit - it's actually muddy brown, leather brown, and earth brown - guess I had a couple more bottles than I remembered!)

- ochre golds triad

- medium skin triad

I think that's it. I have already chosen the liners triad with brown/grey/blue; the ~$40 is what's left after that.

I'll double-check this list tonight and edit or repost as needed tomorrow if I have time - only have dial-up at home so best to do this at work... at least until they block this site!

Thanks for the tips so far,

Kang

You can get help with NMM recipes at the following link. It includes recipes for NMM gold, silver, and lots more. This thread is pinned at the top of this forum.

Pinned: Painting recipes

I was going to suggest the Learn to Paint Kits, and I still will, for others who might be reading this. They're a great value if you're just getting started. For Kang, though, they may have too many overlapping colors with what he already owns. On the other hand, the minis, brushes, and painting guides are still useful. The first three kits come with nine paints in dropper bottles. The fourth and fifth kits have five MSP bottles and six smaller pots of MSP, so a nice selection whichever ones you pick.

I've found Pure White to be useful for final highlights and for highlighting the Off Whites Triad. But, I don't think that I've ever used Pure Black in the last 2 years. I always use Walnut Brown (if I want an interesting, warm black), or the liners if I want an interesting cool black.

Ron

Oddly enough no one has mentioned the additives yet - drying retarder, and flow improver so you make up your "gunk mix. I also would start to add base colors as you can always mix your own; reds, yellows and blues. Frome there I would look at what I wanted to paint for the next several minis and then get a base scheme down and go from there.

:devil:

Paints I consistently use:

Rosy skin triad

Creamy ivory

Brown liner

Dark Skin

Ruddy leather

Oiled leather

Tarnished Steel

Pure Silver

Linen White

and then colors.....

I like to use lots of colors! I can think of very few triads that end up getting neglected when it comes time to paint clothes. Some of the ones I like best:

Carnage, Bloodthirsty, Bloodstain Reds

Dusky Grape, Faded Purple, the almost pastel Amethyst purple

Cyan, Ritterlich, whatever the third one is blues

Mist, Shadow, Field greens

Surf Aqua and the rest of that triad

Just my two cents

Thanks for all the suggestions and links so far! Gives me some good ideas for where to start - or rather continue, given that I actually have a couple more bottles than I realized at first...

Kang

Oddly enough no one has mentioned the additives yet - drying retarder, and flow improver so you make up your "gunk mix.

You can also get the Liquitex versions of flow improver and drying retarder from an arts and crafts store (Michael's and Hobby Lobby in the US). Michael's and Hobby Lobby also have 40% off coupons with considerable regularity.

Ron

Oddly enough no one has mentioned the additives yet - drying retarder, and flow improver so you make up your "gunk mix.

You can also get the Liquitex versions of flow improver and drying retarder from an arts and crafts store (Michael's and Hobby Lobby in the US). Michael's and Hobby Lobby also have 40% off coupons with considerable regularity.

Ron

Thanks. FYI, I'm all set for additives; just don't have any of Reaper's is all. Got everything else from craft paint brands to Future to Liquitex Slo-Dri, etc. The only other additive I'm really at all interested in trying out at this point is Winsor & Newton's Flow Improver - seems to come highly recommended, but in my travels I've scoured various Michael's locations, artist's supply stores, etc. from Ontario to British Columbia and haven't been able to locate it anywhere in Canada (just every other W&N additive imaginable, time and again). Maybe it's for the best, as I honestly have more bottles of various additives that I've picked up over the past couple of years than I know what to do with. My particular type of sickness is all about enjoying buying minis tools and gear almost as much as using them in the actual painting of minis. At this point I'll be happy enough to find a 'gunk' recipe using stuff I already have with ratios that seem to work for me...

Thanks though,

Kang

By the way, I hope you have a good brush to go with your good paints. If you didn't already know, Winsor & Newton series 7 comes very highly regarded.

Ishil

By the way, I hope you have a good brush to go with your good paints. If you didn't already know, Winsor & Newton series 7 comes very highly regarded.

Ishil

Well, I certainly hold mine in high regard... :poke:

Anyhow, thanks again for all the suggestions, folks. I think I have all my picks lined up now. Still got a buck and change in store credit, but I imagine that and more will get eaten up by shipping costs.

Kang