Sign in to follow this  
Redfeild

I Need Grunts

I looking into getting an army pack. I want to get Isiri Archers, Isiri Warriors, Ivy Crown Archer, and Ivy Crown Sirmishers. The thing is I can't get but one pack a month at most.

Dark Spawn offers 11 minis per pack while Crusaders offers 9 per pack so I'm likely going to go with Dark Spawn first since I don't have a lot of them anyway.

Here is the question. Should I go with Archers or Warriors? I think I will likely need worriors more but I already have two 3 packs of Broaken Fodder and I realy like the way the archers look.

Don't let tactics be your sole thought on this. You may like one over another for other reasons outside game. Or may be you think I should go with Crusaders first.

I'll likely order from my FLGS in about three weeks. In the mean time, help me decide.

I personally would go with the Darkspawn warrior pack first. I really like the guy sculpts. They are fairly easy to bend into a slightly different pose for a little variety too. I didn't ever really care for the female sculpt or the archer sculpts. The new archers however are very sexy, but I don't think they have an army pack yet.

Here is the question. Should I go with Archers or Warriors? I think I will likely need worriors more but I already have two 3 packs of Broaken Fodder and I realy like the way the archers look.

I would go for the warriors. Basic Fighter types are the backbone of an army. I like to field several units of the most basic grunt of whatever army I am playing to make sure I have enough troops to hold objectives and to keep from getting my more expensive specialty units from getting overrun. Those archers aren't going to do much if they get charged by your opponents goons. And given the point cost of the archers, they will be outnumbered. A bunch of warriors running cover for them will make a big difference.

From my experience also, the darkspawn warriors are some of the nastiest in the game, and the Raider SA makes them tactically a brilliant choice.

I will offer a little bit different advice.

There is nothing wrong with army packs and in the long run they save money. But, not enough to make it worth it if that is all you can buy. You would be building a stale army with no options (even proxying since they would all proxy for the same thing). So, until you get to the point where they are the best thing for you, I personally would suggest buying models individually.

If your budget is basically $50 per month:

I would suggest buying 5-6 melee models (whether they are grunts, adepts, heros, whichever), 2-3 archer types, and a leader model or two.

If you up your budget to $60, I would say maybe a solo to add flair or just more soldiers.

Then again, you can proxy a bunch too, so the main thing is to get 4-5 of whatever type so that you can say that for any given game those 4-5 represent X that night.

I will offer a little bit different advice.

There is nothing wrong with army packs and in the long run they save money. But, not enough to make it worth it if that is all you can buy. You would be building a stale army with no options (even proxying since they would all proxy for the same thing). So, until you get to the point where they are the best thing for you, I personally would suggest buying models individually.

If your budget is basically $50 per month:

I would suggest buying 5-6 melee models (whether they are grunts, adepts, heros, whichever), 2-3 archer types, and a leader model or two.

If you up your budget to $60, I would say maybe a solo to add flair or just more soldiers.

Then again, you can proxy a bunch too, so the main thing is to get 4-5 of whatever type so that you can say that for any given game those 4-5 represent X that night.

This is why I believe thet Reaper should never have gotten rid of the three-packs . I'm sad to say here in Sydney my local FLS's won't stock the army packs and although they weren't selling like hotcakes , the 3-packs were being bought . <_<

I agree with Jason. While the army pack will save you a *little* money, generally the savings on most packs doesn't amount to much more than a couple cents per model. At that point, building a balanced force seems to be a more logical choice. Sure, it may cost you a few dollars more in the long run, but that's all it is going to cost you - $2-3 over the entire cost of your army. Plus, if you like the latest Isiri warrior and archer sculpts, by only buying some of each now, when the second alt. sculpts for each are released, you can buy a few more of each. If you are dead-set on buying an army pack, then I'd say go with the IC Skirmishers. There's been no word on a resculpt for them, and they are a good "filler" model for a Crusader army (tho personally, I prefer templar knights, ironspines, and justicars).

~v

I'll have to agree with the melee guys first. Most likely the melee grunts (warriors especially) have a tendency to take up the most points in an army. Even if you were playing a tree-hugging elf army warriors would come in handy (somebodies gotta die so them archers can keep shootin'). So if you want to go with darkspawn, get the warriors first. If crusaders, then the skirmishers.

Being a darkspawn player.......

You have some fodder already. Then get your hands on some bowmen.

it will give you something else to paint. Instead of just warriors.

And to keep you on track as you paint, reward yourself with a solo once in a while. Or a beast of some kind.

Good luck on the project