I just got carded for buying spray paint.......

Ironworker

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could also be that the girl is a new employee, or recently had to go through the training for checking ID because someone either screwed up and sold something to a minor.

I've been carded for spray paints as well at Walmart in self check out. I didn't have to show my ID, but the register monkey had to code in that I was sufficiently old enough.

I think it's just a WalMart thing, since I have never been carded for it elsewhere. And I don't think it's every Wal Mart, because I have bought paints elsewhere. Although, like the grocery, it might be a tickler window that pops up on the register and most clerks just Okay clear it through since I doubt I could be confused for someone under 21.

It could also be that the girl is a new employee, or recently had to go through the training for checking ID because someone either screwed up and sold something to a minor.

I've been carded for spray paints as well at Walmart in self check out. I didn't have to show my ID, but the register monkey had to code in that I was sufficiently old enough.

I think it's just a WalMart thing, since I have never been carded for it elsewhere. And I don't think it's every Wal Mart, because I have bought paints elsewhere. Although, like the grocery, it might be a tickler window that pops up on the register and most clerks just Okay clear it through since I doubt I could be confused for someone under 21.

She's not new. She's been there for years. It's easy to keep track of people who work places for years in a town of 2000. It was not a self checkout. I've purchased beer from the same clerk and not been carded. It was just weird. I've also purchased dozens of cans of spray paint from that store over the years. Perhaps they have me pegged as a supplier.

Hey kid. Got some fresh Krylon Ultra Flat Black here. All the cool kids are doing this brand.

It isn't just Wally World. AutoZone carded me for a couple cans of DupliColor primer a few months ago. While I don't have gray hairs yet, I don't look under 18 either. Heck, I even had my two oldest sons with me (10 and 7). It's a wonder they even sold the cans to me as I had children with me.

I wholeheartedly agree that you can't legislate against stupidity. Personally I think seat belt laws for adults are stupid and unnecessary. If an adult doesn't want to wear a seatbelt, fine, they can come see me after their next accident and tell me if that was a good idea. Provided they can of course. Same thing with helmet laws for motorcycles.

I know that the suffocating thing has been around since at least the early 90's. I had a friend that would occasionally hang out with a group that would do that every afternoon. I went with him once, saw them do it, called them idiots and left. That was in rural Ohio, so I'm sure it's probably been around quite some time.

Complain, complain. ::P: Spray paint isn't even *sold* in the city of Chicago these days. It thoroughly sucks to have to go out of city limits to get a can of Krylon...

(If I owned a business that sold some age-restricted product? Employees would be told to ask for ID for everyone who looked under 50, just to be on the safe side. Especially if I had lots of customers who were women Of A Certain Age. It's flattering to be carded, at a point...)

--Jen

the ID thing comes up all the time at my Walmart, more or less for graffiti reasons as this town has a big problem with it & gang stuff (thou the way they went about combating gangs is pretty goofy---town govt sent out letters to so called gangers, oooooooooo).

I think I've been carded like 2 or 3 times for alcohol purchases but get the ID thing for paint all the time :rolleyes:

Gotta love thou, that the stores have to put up painters tape on the shelf ends just to deter idiots for doing "oh is this the color red I want??" method.

RM

Hey kid. Got some fresh Krylon Ultra Flat Black here. All the cool kids are doing this brand.

Hehe actually the "best" colors to have are metallics, gold silver etc. Because the paints in those colors are heavier they require mre propellant in the cans and experienced huffers know it. Learned that from a drug detective during a seminar. Sad but true i guess...

I've always found the spray paint age law kind of stupid, considering it rarely every stops the grafitti artists anyway. <snip>

I've heard that towns have had success in handling tagging not by outlawing it altogether, but by not prosecuting it in certain areas, like on the sides of temporary construction fences and walkways.

No, the age laws don't deter graffiti artists. While I know there are those out there who are under 18, most of the ones I know of are 20s to 30s.

I seriously doubt it's the poor kids otherwise there would be no law against it. I'll put my money on even more ignorant suburban kids who are more afraid of what their parents would do if they were caught with real drugs than they are of the seriously negative effects of huffing. After all their soccer moms might take away their internet for a whole week if they got caught with a joint. Huffing would likely get just a stern talking to if their self absorbed parents are wise enough to even recognize it. The ignorance comes as much from the parents as the kids. All the sudden little johnny from down the block does something stupid that gets himself killed and the panic sets in. It must be the mannor in which he got himself dead that is the threat and not his stupidity or the way he was raised. It's a lot easier to put the blame on an inanimate object like a can of spray paint than the parents or just the kid.

I've had to work with some of those parents... I won't get started here. Let's just say that in about another 5-10 years, there's gonna be lots of little wannabe gangstas out here who have no idea of how to behave in society other than buying things and throwing tantrums, because that's all their parents ever taught them. Yes, the parents act the same way. That is, those who live to their teens and beyond. :down: Some people just shouldn't breed. And sadly, it is the middle to upper class that gets laws like this made because they are the ones who "know people" and know how to make a big stink. Who let this happen to their baby? Because it sure wasn't them! Some of these kids are peer pressured, some never learned to stand up for themselves, some are just stupid, but I'm sure they all thought it couldn't happen to them. The really bad thing is, some of these parents wouldn't know what their kid's favorite color/dinner/movie/band/etc. was, who they had a crush on, or what they really wanted to be when they grew up... It's easy to glaze over horrible things happening to poor people, because, well, they're poor. And they live in bad neighborhoods, and God knows what kind of people they have contact with every day, so higher crime, drug use, violence, etc., is actually *expected* there. Not in nice, my bread has no crust on it, every family is perfect, and even the lawn gets a manicure communities.

You know about a year ago I heard about this problem where kids were strangling each other to get high. Aparantly that mild sense of euphoria you get at the brink of esphixiation and death was what they were after.

I propose handcuffs and padded cells for all children right now. It's for their own good. Better yet jail and full restraints for everyone. It's the only way to protect people from themselves.

Seen or read I, Robot? :poke:

Here's the long (well maybe not that long) list of things that, without fail, I still get carded for:

At Wal-Mart or grocery stores:

R-rated or unrated movies

Cigarettes

Alcohol

Spray Paint

Gas Stations:

Cigarettes, Lottery Tickets, Alcohol

Movie Theaters:

R-Rated or NC-17 movies

I went to movies with my dad about a year and a half ago, they asked him if he wanted the senior citizen discount (he's not old enough for that yet) and if he was aware he was taking his granddaughter to an R-Rated movie. And now we all know why the ticket sellers usually sit in those lil' booths instead of where anyone can reach them. <_<