Counters

Well, so far I really like the beta rules that I have read (only about half way through them.)  Not big on the idea of using playing cards though, so if that bit makes it into the final draft, I'll working out some alternate rules for my own use.

The point of the post however, is to entice Reaper into sculpting some counter minis.  Dead guys (heaps and heaps of these please!) shaken, and so forth.  That would be much cooler than using dice or pennies.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing you could do is buy one of those "Big bag o' Zombies" that I've seen at many FLGSs.  Cut off the bases with a hobby knife, lay them on a baking sheet, heat them gently till their backs are flattened, cool, and paint to your corpseriffic taste.

Oh, and don't forget to ventilate well.  Plastic fumes are nasty.

I don't think the initiative rules are going away. At one point I tried to translate the probabilities to dice rolls, but it turned out too complicated. Cards work fine. One time I even used Settlers of Catan cards. I had "ore" for the orcs, and "wood" for the elves. You could use Uno cards, or pretty much any deck of cards as long as you can have 2 distinct outcomes.

The thing about using cards that I've learned from CAV is that it can be famine or feast.  Your opponent may get the first three initiatives in hte turn for 3 straight turns and just be beating you senseless.  Then, you turn around and get the first 3 initiatives for 4 straight turns, and the tide shifts.  

While this can be annoying, having played CAV for a couple years now I can tell you it definitely depicts the momentum shifts in a battle very well.  Playing CAV, and Warlord for that matter is always a nervous endeavor because you never know when your opponent may go on a rampage and start evening the score, no matter how far ahead you are.