Usefull Tip for extending your Painting Tolerance

sam500

Typically when I sit down to paint now-a-days I'll go for a 2 hour stretch, take a break and fiddle with the computer and then go for another 2 hours and then go to sleep.

However, I wasn't always able to handle a whole 2 hours of painting.... or even 1 hour of painting. I just got the jitters and needed to do something.

And then I found audiobooks.

They're perfect for whiling the hours away in front of the paint table and I heartily recommend them to those trying to find the time.

Many of them can be found on mp3 or available at the library.

Not really a painting tip I know, but nothing has helped me out more in getting back into painting this year than audiobooks. :blues::ph34r::blush::blink:

Currently on the earphones is Shogun by James Clavell.

Anyone else have some tips for whiling away the time?

Yours,

Sam

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

History Channel. Discovery Channel. 'A History of Britain', on DVD. On occasion, the universe has even been so kind as to co-ordinate, say, a Freaky Cannibal Murderers marathon with my needing to push myself before a deadline. :lol:

(I like narrative in the background, but can't stand audiobooks; they conflict too much with the voices in my head.)

--Jen

PVR'd television (listening rather than watching of course) and you can zip back for something interesting you need to watch...

Heroes is bad as there are to many smegging subtitles... :grr:

Audio books are great as well - I listened to all of 'The Cell' while painting a little while ago.

I find a narrative is better than music for what its worth. Often times I start getting into the beat and lets face it - drum solos aren't condusive to painting most times :lol: .

These days it's mostly my back and legs that give out before my patience though... I need a better chair methinkst...

Sounds like a good tip, sam500. I often keep music going, but not TV or a variant of it. If I'm looking at TV/movie/whatever, I'm not painting. I'm so visually oriented that glowy boxes like a TV or computer monitor can be too distracting. Like now. So, I hadn't considered audio books, but I think I'll try them.

It never dawned on me to get audiobooks on CD before. I wonder if I could switch on the Accessability Reader and get it to read my WordPad Lord of the Rings to me.

*imagines monotone male robot voice grinding out Tolkein*

Hmm..on second thought..

I like Enya too..and Clannad..and Lorena McKennett..and I keep volumes of trance music back in the paint-room too. I find soothing music works best. It seems to make my orcsies more docile so they don't fidget and move around while being painted... at least not as much as they do when I play the hardcore and industrial.

I don't usually sit down to paint unless I have at least 2.5 to 3 hours to spare, and I always like like to have something to listen to in the background. Sometimes I have the TV on with stuff like history documentaries. Other times I listen to music. Recently I have been getting into Clannad, but I also have a big collection of soundtrack CDs from sci-fi/fantasy/horror movies.

Am I the only one who often finds myself shaking my bottle of paint in time to the music I'm listening to?

I find that having the boobtube on whilst trying to paint is counter-productive, especially if something good is on the History channel or Discovery. I rather then listen to music or talk radio. If I'm up late painting I find that the talk show Coast to Coast AM with George Nory entertains me. Some of the topics are out there like UFO's and Chupacabras so it can get interesting if not amusing. It's good for 5 hours with the only distraction being having to stop painting long enough to exclaim " What the heck is THAT nutcase talking about !!!"...some of the host's guests are WAY out there...lol

Oh The joys of ADHD. With me it depends on my mood and how well my disability is messing with me for day. Some days I am able to paint with nothing on in the background and other days I need constant stimulation as I have the TV on. I find I am able to paint decenty when wrestling is on as having seen thousands of matches in my time I can imagine what is going on when I hear the announcers, promos, and matches. I only stop to watch when there is a Diva's match on. For obvious reasons.

I also am a Discovery Channel Watcher. Currently I have all 4 episodes of the War taped and ready to go when I feel the need to start a painting binge.

I frequently paint while Chaoswarlord is playing a video game, so my soundtrack tends to be swordfights, gunfire, or screams.... ;-) But it's lots of fun to listen to game soundtracks that way - some of them are very good - and to hear what some of the other characters in the games say as asides.

Can't paint in front of TV - way too distracting. Silence works (that's when the minis talk to me, bwahahaha... ;-)), but so does some nice background music. Trancey stuff works OK, but being a Middle Eastern drummer and a bellydancer, too, can make it hard to sit still for anything with a really good beat.