Sign in to follow this  
jdripley

Sling & Slam attack

We all know about the concept of teleporting an offensively powerful model at a key enemy model - usually a fairly squishy one - and letting it pound the snot out of the unfortunate target. It became a classic when Balthon flung Ymrilix, and it's been done with reven infantry as well.

A kindof funny story is when I tried to do the trick but forgot to purchase teleportation spells! Oops!

Anyways I was thinking about how the trick could be improved upon. I started thinking about models that are particularly good at offense, and two special abilities came to mind. One is Smite, and the other is Critical Strike. Smite gives the model an edge against a particular type of enemy, however your enemy usually tries to keep that type as far away as possible (when they can). So that sometimes limits Smite's effectiveness. Critical Strike, likewise, is fairly powerful, but requires the sacrifice of a non-combat action, meaning you need to survive a round of close combat before you can use it. By then you may be dead, and most probably will have lost your bonuses worth of MAV already...

But what if you Teleported a Critical Strike Model? Or a Smite Model? Better yet one with both abilities? By using magic to move the model you allow it to use Critical Strike on the opening attack. By teleporting it you get to pick where on the battlefield you want it to land - and that means you can teleport it to a model it can Smite.

Then I thought a step further - what if you had First Strike as well?

As it happens, there is only one model with all three abilities. There are a few with two. Here's a list of all models with Critical Strike:

Haggard the Maimed - max MAV 10, #MA 1

Dwarven Kneebreakers - max MAV 10, #MA 1

Annasha Tomebreaker (also has smite) - max MAV 9, #MA 3

Goatman Daemon - max MAV 7, #MA 3

Silvermain, Unicorn (also has First Strike and Smite) - max MAV 10, #MA 3

As you can see from a brief look at the stats, it makes most sense to fling the Unicorn at an evil target - It's initial attack at MAV 10 is highly likely to hit. Since it has first strike, when it's MAV drops by 2 for its remaining attacks (critical strike only boosts the first attack) it'll gain the benefit of a lowered target DV from the first attack.

Annasha Tomebreaker also makes an interesting choice, though to gain her smite bonus she must land next to a mage, which means she has to be pretty particular - if your opponent screens their mage, or doesn't take one... out of luck for those 2 MAV. I also think that combining her Critical Strike with her Smite is a little bit of overkill in most situations - most mages have poor defense, and the +2 from Critical Strike wouldn't really be necessary. Though who has ever minded overkill on MAV??

Haggard and the Kneebreakers are within 4 points of eachothers' cost, and have very similar stats so we'll look at them together. A single MAV 10 attack is brutal - but you can only ever do 1 damage. I'm not sure it's worth flinging 40 some points of dwarf for one damage. I'm sure there would be situations where it becomes the best option, but as an opening attack it's probably not ideal.

Finally the Goatman. In a faction pure army he can't be teleported since darkspawn has no clerics. How about if a merc comes along, or if it's in a freelance army? The goatman has very low defense, meaning he'll definately die after he lands his attacks. He also has the lowest MAV of all of the choices - however he has 3 attacks, which is in his favor. His high cost (61 points!) means I wouldn't be comfortable sending him to his death unless the payoff would be very high. So he'd be a situational flingee at best - I wouldn't build this trick into my army with him as the attacker.

To further boost the MAV:

Cast blessing or Divine Vigor on the model the turn before you teleport, so that the effect is still active...

take 2 clerics and teleport a buddy (reach model, or somebody else to make b2b with the target) to give support...

You could also use a variation of this tactic with a ranged model that has Critical Shot, or Marksman - teleport them to a good firing position and let the arrow(s) fly.

Just don't use this trick agains Ivy Crown Archers. I hear they can be pretty nasty when they are surprised, isn't that right Thane? <_<

Castlebuilder

Two and a half years later and he still can't live it down. I love it! :lol:

Two and a half years later and he still can't live it down. I love it! :lol:

At GenCon this summer I played in a CAV scenario with Thane on the opposing side. The curse held true and I was rolling pretty hot. Nothing like the ICA incident, but it's obvious that playing against Thane is good kharma for my dice.

But getting back on topic, JD has picked up on some pretty neat concepts. First strike is already deadly, and pairing it up with teleport is a nasty combo. I've been on the receiving end of the teleport tactic a few times, and normally it is a real threat. If you anticipate it, teleport can be dealt with, but if the enemy follows up quickly with the rest of his army, the chaos causesed by the teleport can really skewer you game.

Castlebuilder

I thought of another good SA for models that you teleport - Backstab. You don't even need LOS to a spot next to the target model - just LOS to a spot that the backstabber can charge the rear side from. If you do this, it would probably be best to try it after the battle has begun - backstabbers generally aren't the most defensively oriented models around, so it would help if most of the enemy army is tied up.

Extra points if you teleport a backstabber to a place where it can get to a model that's not in b2b with any of your own models, so that you can deny it any defensive strikes.

Hmm...I may have to try this with my elves and the unicorn. The hard part is picking a suitable cleric. The dryad is the only one powerful enough to be reliable, but I can't stand the model....