It's not you. It's me.

Ironworker

Well it seems that the time has come for me to leave this community and move on. When I joined this forum a few days after it was I thought it had a lot of potential to be a great community. For the most part I was right. It is a great community. Recent events however have convinced me it's not my kind of community and nothing can be gained from my continued contribution. I seem to be unable to participate in even the most innocent of discussions without offending someone. This is probably because I am opinionated. I do however try to be fair with my opinions and as objective as I can be. Still I seem to be upsetting a lot of people around here with perhaps too much opinion. Since I'm not the kind of person who enjoys qualifying every statement I make I feel I can no longer make any statement for fear someone will take it entirely the wrong way.

I know it probably seems I'm fishing for some kind of response here but I'm not. Please understand I'm only posting this because I feel I've developed friendships with certain members of this community or at least a certain level of mutual respect and admiration. I certainly respect a lot of the members of this community even the ones I don't always see eye to eye with. I hope I run into you in some of the other miniature communities out there. Also I just want to say that I don't hold Reaper responsible for my discontent as I usually have a hard time getting along with defensive fans and moderators on “company” web sites and generally prefer non affiliated communities. Reaper is still my favorite fantasy miniature company and I will still continue to buy and promote your products whenever I can.

Salute

Nathan “Ironworker” Miller

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:huh::blink::down:

Reading this is kinda one of those 'No matter what I say, they're still gonna...' situations, so I'm going to say: I'm going to miss you, man. I liked seeing your wicked cool pulp figures and was looking forward to seeing the completion of the Legion of Shame (yours were giving mine hope that someday they'd be painted too). Hopefully someday (like tomorrow) you'll wander back this way.

Iron,

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary going on. Man, I'm going to miss you and all of your Pulp/Atlantean mini craziness. You are very creative. I wish you wouldn't leave, these have been somewhat trying times lately but I know that things will calm down. I think everyone has been on edge lately.

Anyway, if you ever need anything just let me know!

Meg

Bummer mate...

Honestly, and take this with a grain or two of salt, I haven't seen the level your describing. I wish you would reconsider as the only way the board can get to be what your aiming for is working on it. Nothing is ever perfect and its always nice to have one or two brutally opinionated people wandering around. If only to serve as a warning to others at least ::P: lol.

LW

Dang. And here I was, hoping you would continue to push the envelope for tabletop and speedpainting techniques, eventually carving out their own areas in the forums like Show Off, WIP and Painting Tips & Advice. That seemed to be where you were heading, and I think you would have made great contributions to The Hobby.

I haven't seen a huge amount of animosity either toward you or from you, IW, just some misunderstandings and miscommunications here and there. It happens, especially in a text-driven environment (even emoticons can be misread or misinterpreted. I write from experience on this one.) I doubt it will be any better elsewhere, but good luck out there, I wish you the best and hope you'll come back, soon.

I am completely confused on all the stuff going on the last few days. People are hinting that offenses are flying out of every post, and I'm truly confuzzled. Granted, I've only been checking in a couple times a day since August 2007 but I'm not seeing it. Quite the opposite really. People are courteous, supportive, they're full of helpful suggestions and there is a sense of community here that I wasn't expecting.

At any rate, you have never said anything that offended me, Iron. And I've always enjoyed your posts showing off your works in progress or things completed. I hope that you will reconsider.

Sounds like the problem isn't the majority you are offending, but the minority. I make it policy never to let the minority dictate my life, especially when it's at the expense of the majority.

Stick around, and if someone gets offended and isn't smart enough to realize that you don't intend to offend, it's there own fault. Well, theirs or the paint chips they ate as a kid.

I know we had some disagreements in the past and couldn't believe that's why you would leave (it's forgotten on my end), but I think I found the thread in question...

How about you just post your own minis? I don't have many opinions on pulp figures (actually, I rarely comment in Show Off anyway), but I do like seeing something different.

Yes, it sucks avoiding threads you know are there, but I do it here (in fact, I'm probably one of the reasons for Beekeepers). Tell yourself some little lies so you can keep hanging out.