Shipping - UK

Lord Tirian

Well, I'm sitting here in the UK... and while my FLGS has a fair share of minis, it still doesn't match the full range the Reaper store can offer, of course. And the shops here have either Vallejo, Rackham or GW paints. And I've heard a lot of praise about the Reaper paints - so I probably want to try 'em out at some point.

But, since I'm in the UK, I'm far away - and get the international shipping rates. So I'm asking for experiences with international shipping or even alternatives - since international shipping isn't exactly what I'd call cheap.

So, any experiences or other advice?

Cheers, LT.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well shipping isn't so bad. It's the import taxes that make it expensive for me (in Denmark). Also look out for any other hidden fees. UPS denmark has a fee equivalent to 12£ on anything imported from outside the EU regardless of value of the shipment.

This UK site seems to have a fairly good selection.

http://www.orcsnest.com/miniaturespage.asp?Maker=

There's a couple more with a more limited selection. I can't find anyone offering the entire catalogue though. But browsing around online retailers located in the UK is probably your best bet. Some of them are overpriced though charging 9 pounds for a 3-4 US dollar figure.

Hi. I am a fellow UK'er. I have tried a few methods.

The single UK distributer on the Reaper web site is not recommended. They get occasional shipments, but didnt call me back. If you live close, then it might be worth it.

The Orcs Nest also has an excellent store in London. Well worth a visit, although the Reaper stuff on the shelves is limited.

The best selection that I have found for Reaper stuff in the UK is here:

http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/cgi-bi...catalogue_id=19

However, I have not used them.

I have had stuff delivered directly from Reaper HQ to. I ordered just under 100 pounds of stuff, and shipping was just under 40 pound. Next order came in at about fifty pounds, and shipping was under 20. Generally, I find this pretty good. Shipping takes a couple of weeks.

There are two things to be aware of when shipping direct:

- import tax, this can hit hard and can cost the same as shipping. It seems fairly random whether you get charged, and smaller orderrs seem to escape more often.

- shipping company surcharges, some shipping companies actually charge you extra when your stuff is delivered. I am not sure what this is for, and excuses range from 'we paid the import tax in advance' to 'additional paperwork'. Unfortunately, there is no real way to escape this, and it is usually around 10 pounds extra.

All the best, and let me know if you need any further info.

yeah UPS uses the 'we paid the import tax in advance'-excuse. And they don't feel anything is wrong with this little fee being more than the actual transatlantic shipping and import tax combined. I don't order from stores using UPS anymore.

I ask my favorite store (which sells reaper stuff at suggested US retail prices) to order whatever I need if they don't have it in stock. It takes extra time, but overall I get the stuff much cheaper than anywhere else I've found

Edited by vejlin

Orc's Nest is more conveniently placed in London, but Leisuregames is a better shop. Particularly, it is more helpful and friendly. Neither will have the most recent Reaper figures.

I use Miniature Market mostly to order from the US, and recommend them. They have a lot of choice, and everything is discounted, making up for a lot of the US postage charges.

Ishil

I don't know if this is cheaper than any of the alternatives you've found but my FLGS in Denmark has started selling to the rest of Europe. They don't carry all of what Reaper produces, but they do have a lot of the RMS-paints and sell at suggested US retail prices (only ones doing that I'm aware of within the EU).

Shipping is a problem though since they only ship insured packages, and the rates are in one kilo increments. So shipping costs the same if you're ordering one bottle of paint or if you're ordering a kilo of paint. Shipping is 23.25 Euros per kilo, so it's significant, but on the other hand I don't think you'll be hit with the taxes since it's also within the EU.

Here's a linkie to their site: http://shop.whitedragon.dk/default.asp?lang=uk