Tau box set in 21 days

Okay, it might be 22 days, actually. I bit the bullet, picked up 40k again, specifically, Tau. I'm planning to post a daily pic to this thread of my progress as I try to get as much of the Tau megaforce done during the month of October. (Hey, we said that we needed more quick & dirty, get 'er done paintjobs on this forum, right? My intent is not to paint these to the best of my limited ability, but to get something which looks halfway decent onto the table.)

I forgot to take one yesterday (though I might take one before I start tonight), but all I did was open the box, check for missing parts, and then start the process of removing everything from the sprues. Naturally, I used big ziplock baggies to keep all the parts for the crisis suits together, all the fire warriors together, etc.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post pics soon, but let's be honest - right now, everything is still grey, unprimed, loose plastic bits. Not too exiting.

Day 1 (official, long version): The Tau Megaforce set contains two (2) Crisis Suits, three (3) Stealth Suits (and Markerlight Drone), twenty (20) Fire Warriors, six (6) Gun Drones, three (3) Piranhas, one (1) Devilfish APC and one (1) Hammerhead Gunship. That's an awful lot of stuff. I sorted through everything, getting everything set in the appropriate area, and got to work cutting and trimming things from the sprue. I bagged stuff as I went, so that I would not have to try and find the legs from the Stealth Suits, only to find that I used them for some Fire Warriors. When I called it a day, the only things still left on the sprue were about half of the Fire Warriors.

Day 2: The Fire Warriors are all off the sprue and bagged. I've started trimming and assembling, and the Stealth Suits are mostly assembled. I'll probably leave them as they are for a few days, since I don't have the codex yet, and I don't want to commit to a particular weapon configuration. Tomorrow, I plan to work on getting the Fire Warriors started, as well as the Crisis suits.

Sounds pretty cool mate. I have some Tau that I put together but have not gotten around to painting yet. They have to wait until my Salamanders battle company gets finished. If I could find some time to paint then they would get further than they are.

Hope you manage to get things done. Remember that when you are playing 40K you tend to look at things from a distance. If you paint so that when you look at the models from a distance they are pretty good then it does not really matter what they look like up close!

Good luck to you mate and keep us posted!!

Day 3 update - real work has begun. The Stealth suits are mostly trimmed and assembled. I still have the heads, weapons and some optional bits to add, but those will wait until I have the codex. The Crisis suits are partially assembled; right now they are Crisis Torsos. The wing assemblies to all 3 Piranha are done, and 10 Fire warriors now have torsos and legs. Not as much as I would like, but I did not have as much time tonight as I had originally hoped.

We need photos.

How much does a box set like this cost?

I miss the days of metal minis being Ubiquitous.

I'll be posting a pic tonight, mainly because there will finally be things that are actually nearing completion (well, as much as I will do without the RE magnets, anyway). The GW megaforce box sets run $175 at full retail. They also have smaller battleforces for $90, and I think a couple of giant boxed armies for about $250 or so.

Personally, I miss the days of 3 plastic Rhinos in a box, retailing for a whopping $30.

Finally have some pics. These are from before I started work last night. I didn't get as much time as I wanted the last couple of days, but. . .

tau1.jpg

tau2.jpg

tau3.jpg

Day 4 update - bodies of Piranhas are assembled, remaining Fire Warriors now have legs. Gun drones for Piranhas assembled, which was almost a disaster. It as very late when I started on these, and I glued the guns on backwards. Fortunately, I caught it before the glue set, but it was a close thing.

Day 5 update - Piranha wings and bodies now glued together. All Fire Warriors now have heads, bodies. A few have backpacks. Heads glued to Stealth Suits. The bad news of the day is that I lost the auctions for the RE magnets. I may have to just make some permanent weapons choices for everything in this box set, which, although disappointing, is probably not such a big deal in the long run. I plan on adding more Crisis Suits & Hammerheads in the future, just to play Apocalypse.

Day 6 update - got a lot done. All Fire Warriors now have backpacks. Main bodies of both the Devilfish and Hammerhead are done - all that remains for each are the drones and turret assemblies. And deciding what to do with the landing gear. Although no piece is technically fully assembled, many things are getting quite close, and plan on getting plenty of things ready for the priming stage after tomorrow.

Day 7 (no pic - batteries of camera are recharging): Hammerhead, Devilfish assembled except for landing gear. Probably going to prime them without it, prime gear, decide what to do about it in a couple of days. Drone squad completed. Drones for Piranha completed (hadn't done the little widget on the top yet). Stealth team completed, drone assembled. All that remains is to finish the 20 Fire Warriors (all?!?), choose and place weapons for Crisis Suits, add chin gun & crew to Piranhas. I might actually have a good chunk of time tomorrow to work on figs, so with any luck, tomorrow and Wednesday will be for priming, and possibly even initial paint on a couple of figs.