• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I don't have one, and would have problems justifying to the wife at the moment. But, as of last night, everything is completely assembled (except for the weapons on the Crisis suits - though I might just choose a permanent weapon load for them, and magnetize the next set), and today I have started priming things. With any luck, I can start applying paint to things later tonight, depending on time - but everything will be primed today, regardless.

Why not pin the weapons instead of magnetizing them? I had a Tau army and i found it much easier to drill four small holes for weapons as apposed to messing around with magnets.

All you need to do is drill two holes in the arm/back/wherever then drill two holes in the weapons and put pins in the arm. that way you can just attach the weapons temporarily.

What colors are you planning on using. Maybe you can find the main color in a spray acrylic.

Something in earth tones, probably browns, similar to the default in the book. I primed all in black, which should help with my usual "Crud, I missed a spot" problem that always seems to pop up.

Drat. Ran out of primer before I ran out of figs. S'ok - I got everything but the drones and the Crisis suits, so I have plenty to keep me occupied for a few days until I can get to the store again. I didn't have much time to paint tonight - my painting area is in a state of transition (read: major mess because I haven't touched a brush in months), so I had to clear off and set up an ad hoc area (in addition to starting to tackle the mess in my area of the basement). I didn't finish the base colors on anything yet, but there is some progress.

paint1.jpgpaint2.jpg

Color-wise, I am using the Vallejo WW II stuff, mostly because I admit that I really like their earth tones. And, to be honest, because my Reaper colors are more fantasy-oriented, and I didn't want my Tau in bright reds and blues.

I like the fact that you are using real colours. By that I am saying that I hate bright yellow or blue models.

Tau especially as if they are painted in too bright a colour they would look like sh.. if you ask me.

The 40k universe are meant to be a dark and grim place. The earthen tones you are going for will work good I think.

Are you doing some camo for them too?

Thumbs up on the brown selection. I think I would prefer that at any rate, but trying to get good coverage on that many models with red or yellow---yeesh....

If I were going with yellow or red, I probably would have broken tradition and primed in one of those colors. I normally only prime in white, gray or black, depending on the color pallet I am using, but since this is a "Let's see what I can do in less than a month," I would have made an allowance.

Depending on how this goes, I might consider doing it again in December (November is NaNoWriMo, so I won't paint much) with the Space Marine Megaforce.

Drat. Ran out of primer before I ran out of figs.

I HATE it when I run out of primer. Especially this time of year. I live in the great white north (ok, not Canada but close), and I don't have too many more priming days left.

Sure.... I could prime inside, and give myself lung cancer. But I just haven't been desperate enough to do that yet. So I have been racing the weather and every day that cooperates I have been priming tons. It's like I am being a squirrel and trying to save up for winter. ::D:

Anyways, I was curious, are you using those Folger's cans for storage, or do you just drink that much coffee when you paint? :poke:

But I am looking forward to seeing your progress on these guys, because it's serving as inspiration to me to actually finish stuff, without my usual dragging it out for longer than it needs to be.

I HATE it when I run out of primer. Especially this time of year. I live in the great white north (ok, not Canada but close), and I don't have too many more priming days left.

Sure.... I could prime inside, and give myself lung cancer. But I just haven't been desperate enough to do that yet. So I have been racing the weather and every day that cooperates I have been priming tons. It's like I am being a squirrel and trying to save up for winter. ::D:

Anyways, I was curious, are you using those Folger's cans for storage, or do you just drink that much coffee when you paint? :poke:

I don't worry much about the health effects of priming inside. After all, it has to compete with pouring plaster (plaster dust gets everywhere), cutting polystyrene with a hot knife (ooh, toxic smoke), the happy little citrus smell of the plastic glue (you can feel the brain cells dribbling out of your nose), and so forth. ::D:

The coffee cans are for water, actually, though I do have four or five that I use for holding basing materials. I barely go through 2 or 3 mugs of coffee per morning. And maybe at night. And possibly one or two in the afternoon. But it's not like it's a habit or an addiction or anything. :poke:

No pic today. I didn't get much done the last couple of days - a combination of some bad storms, a long run in preparation for an ultra, and taking extra daddy duty so my wife could go scrapbook. I did get to work on them a bit tonight, however. I scrapped the paint job I had been considering for the Stealth suits - it's hard to tell, but they were going to have some dark blue bits. Instead, I have given them some of the same earth tones that the rest of the forces have.

The Fire Warriors now have at least 3 colors, which makes them technically legal for GW events. I haven't finished the armor plate on any of them, but somehow it seems to go faster if I paint (for example) the shoulder pads on one, then the knee pads and greaves on another, then the gun and breastplate on a third, and so on. I am getting awfully tired of brown though.

I've also almost got the base colors done on the Hammerhead and Devilfish, or the brown portions, anyway. TOmorrow, I should get to start work on the engines and some detailing - though much of that will wait until after the dipping treatment.

I still may not finish in 21 days, but it is beginning to look like I can put something on the table which at least will have paint and look like a cohesive force, which was really my primary goal.

(I am going to have to restrain myself, however. I am getting two of the Terminus Land Raiders, and I really want to put them together. Maybe I'll hold them back as a reward or something.)

These are really bad pics. Just consider it a warning. I'm not moving them over to take a better pic and then moving them back. Once I start basing things, I'll be able to get something a bit better, at least I hope to. Certainly, they won't be on a reflective surface and with so many direct lights on them, at any rate.

paint3.jpgpaint4.jpg

Everything is now primed. The basic brown is done on most of the Fire Warriors (though many need some touching up in spots), and I am doing the first coat on the helmets. Tomorrow should see highlights on most of their armor, and hopefully the base colors on the drones and Crisis Suits. Engines are started on the Piranhas and Devilfish. The Stealth suits are shiny because I tried the Magic Dip process - it worked okay, but not as well as I would have liked, but it's not so bad that I am going to redo them. I'll touch up some areas, hit them with a layer of matte, and start on their base. (Lesson - the time to experiment is when you are working on something where you really don't care too much about the results. :rolleyes: )