Bladedancer

sayu

Hi everyone! I'm new on the boards, but I"ve been lurking around for several months now looking at different tips for painting minis...I'm finally finished with my first one and want to know your opinions! It does still have the mold lines on the sword and leg because I didn't realize they could be taken off until I was quite into it already, and also I'm going to try to rebase it because I really hate the current base >_< But yeah please give me your opinions and advice!

post-4335-1192148722_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the darklining around her eye being a bit thick, there's nothing I can find to comment on. This is darn good.

Yeah, that was another mistake I made...I had no idea about the actual technique of doing eyes, so I was trying to just outline the eye instead of coloring the whole area dark and then lightening in layers..but hopefully it'll go better next time =D

This is a tough mini to paint and you did a pretty good job. This is your first mini? Better than my first mini ::):

Anyway, yeah invest in a good pair of diamond files. They don't cost much, will last a long time and are very good at getting lines off. Also, instead of using washes just start learning with darker shadows and painting highlights on. That way you don't develop any bad habits that need breaking later on ::):

This is a tough mini to paint and you did a pretty good job. This is your first mini? Better than my first mini ::):

Anyway, yeah invest in a good pair of diamond files. They don't cost much, will last a long time and are very good at getting lines off. Also, instead of using washes just start learning with darker shadows and painting highlights on. That way you don't develop any bad habits that need breaking later on ::):

I'm still a bit confused with all the painting terms like washes, glazes, etc...by darker shadows do you mean non-diluted/very-little diluted paints? What happens if you use washes?

Looks pretty good. Nice job with the free hand work on the sword, always adds alittle something extra to a mini when you do that kind of stuff.

Skin looks nice as well, good color to it. Think she could have done with a bit less on the six pack though, looks pretty pronounced and mannish, just my opinion on the style, not the actual painting.

Very good first mini! The freehand on the sword is a very nice touch. The skin is very nicely done, too. I like how you did the color change on the cloth. Very neat stuff. I can't wait to see your second piece.

I think what fieldarchy was saying was that instead of 1) painting the middle color, then 2) doing a wash (thinning a paint down enough that it flows into the recesses and doesn't really stay on the high parts), and then 3) highlighting the high spots, that you should instead 1) paint the darkest color the area will be, 2) paint the middle color over all but the deepest recesses, 3) paint the hightest highlights on the highest parts.

I can't say that I really agree with her though. There isn't anything about washes that is a "bad habit", whatever that is supposed to mean. There are many times where washes are excellent (fur, armor, hair, etc). I usually use the second method (dark, medium, light), but still often use washes as well. Washes are valuable, and should be learned. You'll figure out what you prefer, and it will probably involve some styles for certain kinds of minis and other styles for other kinds of minis.

If you want to figure out the whole wash/glaze thing, check this article out. In fact, the whole "The Craft" section is full of useful info. Do keep in mind though that if you're using Reaper Master Series paint, it doesn't need to be thinned nearly as much as the Pro Paint that's used in that article.

Very good first mini! The freehand on the sword is a very nice touch. The skin is very nicely done, too. I like how you did the color change on the cloth. Very neat stuff. I can't wait to see your second piece.

I think what fieldarchy was saying was that instead of 1) painting the middle color, then 2) doing a wash (thinning a paint down enough that it flows into the recesses and doesn't really stay on the high parts), and then 3) highlighting the high spots, that you should instead 1) paint the darkest color the area will be, 2) paint the middle color over all but the deepest recesses, 3) paint the hightest highlights on the highest parts.

I can't say that I really agree with her though. There isn't anything about washes that is a "bad habit", whatever that is supposed to mean. There are many times where washes are excellent (fur, armor, hair, etc). I usually use the second method (dark, medium, light), but still often use washes as well. Washes are valuable, and should be learned. You'll figure out what you prefer, and it will probably involve some styles for certain kinds of minis and other styles for other kinds of minis.

If you want to figure out the whole wash/glaze thing, check this article out. In fact, the whole "The Craft" section is full of useful info. Do keep in mind though that if you're using Reaper Master Series paint, it doesn't need to be thinned nearly as much as the Pro Paint that's used in that article.

Thanks so much for the info! I definitely have a lot of improving to do on my second mini, namely the techniques of layering. It also helps to know that the Reaper paints don't need to be thinned as much because I was trying it out and it seemed that the ratios in the craft section made it really really thin...

Is highlighting supposed to be done with a really thin paint, the consistency of a wash? Or a thicker paint that's later covered with a wash/glaze? The way I did it was just seeing what stuck and looked decent so it was more trial and error than any knowledge of technique..which is not too fun haha.

Nah, your first is great. Luckliy I don't have pics of my first. :blush: Basically for highlights you'll want to use paint slightly thicker than a wahs but thinner than straight out of the bottle. No clumpiness. Invest in some good brushes. Windsor and Newton Series 7 Kolinsky sable are great ones. Spend LOTS of time on this board and coolminiornot.com.

I can say with certainty that watching great artists makes you become better. And don't be afraid to ask for help. I know this is all unfamiliar ground, but just keep practicing and you'll get as good as some of the people you admire today.

*bow*

Is highlighting supposed to be done with a really thin paint, the consistency of a wash? Or a thicker paint that's later covered with a wash/glaze? The way I did it was just seeing what stuck and looked decent so it was more trial and error than any knowledge of technique..which is not too fun haha.

For me, I thin most of my Reaper Master Series to 1:1 paint to water or less (usually quite a bit less) for highlighting. It goes a lot faster than if you're thinning it down a lot. Someday down the road, if you decide that you want to shoot for display or competition level, then look into using really thin paint, but right now, it'll just slow you down. What hurt me the most in the beginning was over thinning. Everybody stresses the thinning, but in my honest opinion, you're better to under thin than over thin at this point.

Your highlights should not be anywhere close to wash consistency.

Keep in mind this is all my opinion, which is one out of many.

Sayu, this is sick-good for a 1st mini. You already display excellent brush control, as well as a good grasp of a number of fundamental techniques. I look forward to seeing where your work goes with practice and an expansion of your repitoire of techniques. If there is any chance in heck of you being able to attend ReaperCon next year, DO SO! You are exactly the kind of painter that can take full advantage of the classes offered there (unlike me, who just takes a class or two to try to suck a little less... :;): ).

Good luck, keep painting, and keep posting!

~v