Critical Shot double damage

Tomash

Does a model with Critical Shot inflict 2 points of damage only when using this SA (i.e. sacrificing non-combat action, adding to RAV), or anytime they shoot?

I would opt for the first interpretation, but the part about 2 points being a separate paragraph does stimulate doubt...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, only on offensive shots when they use the critical shot do they cause 2 points of damage instead of 1.

Slow fire on the other hand, I believe does 2 points on offense or defense, but i need to verify that.

I've always wondered why Critical Shot added the extra damage and Critical Strike does not?

From Chronicles 2007, pp9

Slow Fire SA

Some weapons require more time to prepare a

shot. To represent this a Model with this SA must

use both Actions to conduct a Ranged Attack.

If the Model with this SA’s Ranged Attack is

successful, the attack infl icts 2-points of Damage

instead of the normal 1-point. A Model with

this SA and Defensive Shot SA, does 2-points of

Damage with its Defensive Shots.

My emphasis added.

I've always wondered why Critical Shot added the extra damage and Critical Strike does not?

Because you can gain Close Combat Support bonuses for Critical Strike, and can still make multiple attacks if #MA>1, although you do not get the bonus from Critical Strike.

Ranged attacks have no such bonuses, and with Critical Shot, you get one, and only one Ranged attack since you cannot use Marksmen, and there are no models with #RA > 1

Because you can gain Close Combat Support bonuses for Critical Strike, and can still make multiple attacks if #MA>1, although you do not get the bonus from Critical Strike.

Ranged attacks have no such bonuses, and with Critical Shot, you get one, and only one Ranged attack since you cannot use Marksmen, and there are no models with #RA > 1

All that is true, and may be the reasoning behind it.

But whether an archer uses critical shot or not he is still only getting one shot, and whether a melee model use critical strike or not he is still getting multiple attacks if he has them. So IMO that isn't a strong reason for having different end results to SAs that are virtually the same.

As for not getting support bonuses... that may be a downside to range but unless you are sniping other archers with defensive shot... archers are never taking punishment for their attacks whereas a melee model is getting hit every time he attacks, and again the melee model would get that support anyway, so why make the distinction... especially when only about 4 or 5 models even have C strike, but about 3 dozen have C shot or slow fire?

Granted C Strike is still very useful, but I'd rather all three SAs gave equivalent damage, whether it be 1 or 2 doesn't really matter.