A serious sugestion for a different kind of holiday model.

dharman07

I got one set and they are simply stunning, exactly what I was looking for. :wub: Y'all stay away, I think I need another set or two for gifts! ::P: Now if I can just elevate my painting to do them justice... The link above does mention that he plans to continue the line with a stable, angels, shepherds, animals and later a new set with magi.

*prays the plan continues *

A Reaper set would be great, too. I love that traditional woodcut style, realistically done, so I'm thinking Sandy Garrity, Gene van Horne, Jason Wiebe, Bobby Jackson and Julie Guthrie would be good for a similar project, individually or as a team.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would not mean that Reaper would condone any faith over another, but would just be an opportunity for the scupltors to really break outside their mold.

Last I checked the "Establishment Clause" of the first amendment only applied to the government, not companies, but then people are rather touchy these days... but not me! Go for it Reaper!!!

I think it would be neat if Reaper were to do a nativity, I would buy it. I like nativities in general but think it would be neato to have ones painted by me.

I actually ordered a thunderbolt mountain set and hope he keeps it up they look beautiful.

This would not mean that Reaper would condone any faith over another, but would just be an opportunity for the scupltors to really break outside their mold.

As a private company Reaper can condone anything they want. The make a lot on angles and hellish looking demons already and egyptian statues and a couple of gods as well. I really should get their Thor..... Anyhow I don't see the fact that Reaper makes a Thor as Reaper condoning norse paganism and I wouldn't see a nativity as a condoning of Christianity either. Just providing something they think their customers might want for whatever purpose. I'm pretty sure that a large number of pagans, athiest, agnostics, jews, muslims, buddist, and flying spagetti worshiping folks at least in the U.S. have at least some Christian friends or family members and not all of those are estranged. I'd get one and paint it for my mom for a gift and she knows I'm agnostic. I'm sure she would be delighted.

I was thrilled when Reaper put out the Dickens Christmas Carol set last year. My whole family knows I paint 'little metal people' and this was something I could actually share with them. Sure I converted all the Sophies to be wingless by sculpting hair in the crevices, but I was able to paint 6 sets for my family (my mom, my dad, my F-I-L, my step-father-in-law, my aunt and uncle, and my step-brother-in-law) and I know they'll be thrilled to receive minis that I painted that they can relate to. If Reaper were to do more 'non-fantasy' Christmas items, I'd sure buy copies to paint for the family.....

The Tom Meier set is great. I bought one the first year, two last year and may buy another this year.

The schedule was:

2006 the set that he has now

2007 A stable three angels, several shepherds and stable animals

2008 Epiphany set the Magi and their retinues and a second Holy Family set. Also all will be available in pewter or resin.

So, as you can see Tom is two years behind schedule.

Updated schedule from TMM site:

"Tom expects to have the other figures for this Nativity done by the end of next year along with a stable. The whole is to be done in the style of the Baroque, particularly German woodcuts of that period and will include three angels, several shepherds and stable animals. In 2010 we will make an Epiphany set with Magi and their retinues and including a second Holy Family with Jesus on Mary's lap and Joseph kneeling beside."

Updated schedule from TMM site:

"Tom expects to have the other figures for this Nativity done by the end of next year along with a stable. The whole is to be done in the style of the Baroque, particularly German woodcuts of that period and will include three angels, several shepherds and stable animals. In 2010 we will make an Epiphany set with Magi and their retinues and including a second Holy Family with Jesus on Mary's lap and Joseph kneeling beside."

Yeah, that's just a cut and paste of the 2006 announcement with changed dates:

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:00 am

Tom expects to have the other figures for this Nativity done by the end of next year along with a stable. The whole is to be done in the style of the Baroque, particularly German woodcuts of that period and will include three angels, several shepherds and stable animals. In 2008 we will make an Epiphany set with Magi and their retinues and including a second Holy Family with Jesus on Mary's lap and Joseph kneeling beside

And Kit and/or Reaper... I have a suggestion.

How would Reaper feel about making a Nativity Scene? (minus the Sophie, and acutal nativity).

MINUS THE SOPHIE!!! Nah, you need Sophie AS an angel (maybe with a slightly crooked halo - seperate piece that can be mounted straight if desired)

I agree that you can't have Sophie as Mary. There is that one requirement that I am reasonably certain that she cannot meet. ik_devil.gif